Roster Building Thread - Part XII(Training Camp/Preseason)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com
They are essentially running it back with Smith instead of Roslovic and Jones instead of Gustafsson. I thought we agreed this core wasn’t good enough to win more than two series.
Hands are tied. The problems are unmovable... At least this offseason.

What I got from this offseason is that there aren't hockey trades to be had for our pieces.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Oh, I thought this thread would move us into camp where we can actually talk about the current season and not what we wished or hoped or demanded would be done. Well it's too late now. We have the current team, plus any young players who impress in camp. And this team will be competitive and make the playoffs and be competitive. The 82 games will entertain and they'll have a shot. Let's Go Rangers.

Reactions: Siddi and FUZfan

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Rempe should be playing most games in hfd till after the deadline at least. He needs to develop, he won’t playing 5 minutes a game in the nhl.

Agreed. If the organization sees him as anything other than a guy who goes out seeking a fight, give him big minutes in Hartford and let him round out his game. Get him working with a skating coach and maybe get him on the PK.

I will give Rempe credit, because he does amp up the team when he's out there, and that is a good trait, but we can all agree we would rather have a guy who can play a regular shift and fight instead of a guy who gets 5 minutes of ice time, fights, and then the team shortens the bench. It becomes a liability.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Boyle “figured it out” … with the assistance of ice skating coach Barb Underhill.

Better?

The point is Boyle being a very large man whose value had dropped significantly was able to vastly improve his skating. Can Rempe improve to some degree as he grows into his body and trains? Maybe, maybe not. It does give you some hope though.
Yes, it's better. Because the point is Boyle didn't grow into his frame to figure it out at the NHL level.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
They are essentially running it back with Smith instead of Roslovic and Jones instead of Gustafsson. I thought we agreed this core wasn’t good enough to win more than two series.
I don't think they're good enough to even win two series, but they keep getting matched up with Carolina who also aren't.

One of them has to win.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009

I think they're once again banking on the trade deadline, which doesn't bring any of us any joy but at least it's a potential path to improvement.

Reactions: kovazub94

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
I don't think they're good enough to even win two series, but they keep getting matched up with Carolina who also aren't.

One of them has to win.

Here we go again, last year you thought the devils would be better than us too.

We would’ve f*cked up Edmonton in that final and I think every hockey fan knows that. No team in the east scares me this coming season.

Floridas depth is also gone now and we put up a fight against that team at their best while we had injuries everywhere.

Who is standing in our way? Rebounding and soaring Avalanche? Our team fully healthy I think can f*ck that team up too.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

We would’ve f*cked up Edmonton in that final and I think every hockey fan knows that. No team in the east scares me this coming season.

Floridas depth is also gone now and we put up a fight against that team at their best while we had injuries everywhere.

Who is standing in our way? Rebounding and soaring Avalanche? Our team fully healthy I think can f*ck that team up too.
Ok, good for you.

Why does everyone have to feel the same about the team?

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Ok, good for you.

Why does everyone have to feel the same about the team?
We don’t.
You have an opinion.

I think Lavi is the best coach we’ve had in years, who understands the modern game, adapts based on what he has, is willing to push players, makes adjustments in games and in series.
We have a great roster, we need some improvement from the kids and a couple of vets need to fix some bad habits but they are actually fixable.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
We don’t.
You have an opinion.

I think Lavi is the best coach we’ve had in years, who understands the modern game, adapts based on what he has, is willing to push players, makes adjustments in games and in series.
We have a great roster, we need some improvement from the kids and a couple of vets need to fix some bad habits but they are actually fixable.

Yes, all of our issues are fixable. Growth and health are huge factors. ‘Health’ is just the playoffs, the healthiest team usually wins.

This is still a very good and young team. I really don’t see any East teams being a huge problem. I am actually more confident going into this season than last, sans ‘Chytil ????’s’.

Reactions: Kords

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
They did indirectly -- Drury had to be sure SJ was going to grab him from the waiver wire.

On another subject....anyone know when training camp starts?
Why did Drury have to be sure of that? There were 30 other teams that could have also claimed him… or a million+ of his salary could be buried in HTFD.
But even if he was sure SJS would take him, so what? Unless there was some concession actually made by SJS, something consideration toward NYR, then it was simply a roster move PERFECTLY in the spirit of a NTC as opposed to a NMC. That is why players make concessions to get a NMC… There is absolutely no circumvention there.

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Then it is also in the spirit of the contract for Trouba to not report to the team his traded and bypass his remaining salary. IMO
Sure. But to notify those teams, IF he did, in order to pre-empt a trade is certainly NOT in the spirit of the contract. It’s along the lines of tampering if you think about it. Players aren’t supposed to be having those kinds of conversations with other teams while they are under contract. And vice versa. It’s a moot point though, because that was nothing but an unsubstantiated rumor. IMO Trouba did nothing untoward, and NYR did nothing untoward.

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
Why did Drury have to be sure of that? There were 30 other teams that could have also claimed him… or a million+ of his salary could be buried in HTFD.
But even if he was sure SJS would take him, so what? Unless there was some concession actually made by SJS, something consideration toward NYR, then it was simply a roster move PERFECTLY in the spirit of a NTC as opposed to a NMC. That is why players make concessions to get a NMC… There is absolutely no circumvention there.
I think Drury was determined to rid himself of the entire contract in the easiest way possible. I don't believe another team was going to claim him at that price.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I wouldn't be surprised if the conversation was "hey, would you waive [early BTW!] for Detroit for this specific thing?" and Trouba was just like "nah I'd rather not" with the Rangers fully anticipating that and respecting it.

And the rest is just the media making up a scenario.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
I think Drury was determined to rid himself of the entire contract in the easiest way possible. I don't believe another team was going to claim him at that price.
That’s a lot of assumption. And that still does not add up to circumvention. No considerations from SJS means no circumvention. Goodrow was not pleased with this move, do you really think he and his agent didn’t check all of this out already?

I wouldn't be surprised if the conversation was "hey, would you waive [early BTW!] for Detroit for this specific thing?" and Trouba was just like "nah I'd rather not" with the Rangers fully anticipating that and respecting it.

And the rest is just the media making up a scenario.
Yeah. This really seems most likely.

Reactions: Profet

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
I really resent statements that somehow Trouba is not living up to his deal. Is there a question about his effort? I don't think so. Is there a question about his conditioning? I don't think so. Do you get the feeling that he somehow "cares less" or is not dedicated to his craft? I don't think so. Player's skills deteriorate no matter how much they care or how much time they put in. It is understood that when you sign a player to a long-term contract that will stretch into their thirties that, at some point, you will be dealing with a diminished player. Trouba is living up to his contract in the best way he can. There are some things you just can't control. Players do not renegotiate their contracts if their play diminishes. That is the nature of contracts in professional sports. Is he "worth" the money we are paying for someone who is essentially now a 3rd pair D? No. But that is the nature of sports contracts. He has a contract that both sides agreed to, he has contractual rights. He has the right to put the priorities in his life in any order he pleases. We fans may not like it, but hey, that's the nature of being a fan today. Yell, scream, curse,s boo, moan, groan all you like. That is your right as a fan. But you are not Trouba. Only he gets to make decisions as to what is best for him. Doesn't matter if he is making $8000, $80,000, $800,000, or $8,000,000. It's his life, his marriage, his future. Flame away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad