Confirmed with Link: Pär Lindholm for Nic Petan

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
You made my point for me, their value eroded until they were worseless. I'm talking about trading Nic at the height of his value back after leading the WJC in thescoring with McDavid. Sometimes you need to make a call early on a prospect if you don't feel they are a long term fit. The Jets proceeded to have Petan bounce around for the next few years between the AHL, NHL fourth lines and press box eroding his value.

Dano was once the main piece we received for trading our captain. The org except for Maurice must have liked him at the time to target him. The coach didn't seem to have much use for him and his value eroded riding the pine. His development likely stalled as well.

Also you didn't read my post close enough, I said with players who weren't quite good enough to fit a skilled role on our team. Yes we have done quite well with the real blue chip forwards and the more traditional bottom 6 types.

Hindsight is 20/20 though.

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
Here is a little something Maurice said yesterday. You are a Realtor GNP so think about what he is saying in terms of a Vendor who overvalues his/her home.

"In general, players come into the league with a perception of who they are. And if they don’t become that player with that organization, it’s usually not until the next organization or maybe even one more until they accept a different style of game. You see really skilled guys come in, they need to play with skilled players, they just need a chance, you hear that an awful lot. Except it turns out there’s more skilled guys ahead of them and they get a different role or a limited role than what they want to do. They got to the next place and they accept that when it happens," said Maurice.

I agree with this -- I like Petan personally, and think he's a great playmaker with a good shot. The Jet's will regret trading him away for nothing in return.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Here is a little something Maurice said yesterday. You are a Realtor GNP so think about what he is saying in terms of a Vendor who overvalues his/her home.

"In general, players come into the league with a perception of who they are. And if they don’t become that player with that organization, it’s usually not until the next organization or maybe even one more until they accept a different style of game. You see really skilled guys come in, they need to play with skilled players, they just need a chance, you hear that an awful lot. Except it turns out there’s more skilled guys ahead of them and they get a different role or a limited role than what they want to do. They got to the next place and they accept that when it happens," said Maurice.

I heard that, just more of you have to conform to what I want for x role to play for me. I get why coaches feel they need to do that but it's short sighted to me. Why does a fourth liner need to play a certain way (crash and bang), why can't they be creative like a traditional top 6 player. Why can't NHL coaches get past the role type casting.

Anyhow there are some whobmold their games to to survive, their are some who say $$# it and stay themselves and bust out like Marschshault, MSL etc. There are also those that amount to nothing. A coach doesn't know everything and too much emphasis is spent on hustling. I find it funny that Maurice mentions good positional hockey and making short passes and give and goes as a valuable tool but then didn't see much use for Petan who was playing that type of game really well this year.

Enough has been said. I disagree with how the org handled this player and the return they got back and that's really last I'm goig to say on that matter.

Last edited:

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
What Maurice is saying is that sometimes a player comes into the league with the idea that he is a better player than he really is. He doesn't accept what the coaches are telling him. It is not until he is on his second or third team that he comes to accept what he has been told all along. Just like a seller who over values his home often doesn't accept what the true value is until he has gone through two or three Realtors. His comment that such players (and their fans) think they "just need to play with more skilled players" sure fits Petan, Dano, etc. to a "T".

I heard that, just more of you have to conform to what I want for x role to play for me. I get why coaches feel they need to do that but it's short sighted to me. Why does a fourth liner need to play a certain way (crash and bang), why can't they be creative like a traditional top 6 player. Why can't NHL coaches get past the role type casting.

Anyhow there are some whobmold their games to to survive, their are some who say $$# it and stay themselves and bust out like Marschshault, MSL etc. A coach doesn't know everything.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
What Maurice is saying is that sometimes a player comes into the league with the idea that he is a better player than he really is. He doesn't accept what the coaches are telling him. It is not until he is on his second or third team that he comes to accept what he has been told all along. Just like a seller who over values his home often doesn't accept what the true value is until he has gone through two or three Realtors. His comment that such players (and their fans) think they "just need to play with more skilled players" sure fits Petan, Dano, etc. to a "T".

I get that aspect of It, but It seems like both those guys were ok with depth roles and working up. Petan was playing good hockey on the fourth line this season. As shown in this thread his defense was good and he was responsible with the puck. He just didn't tailor his game to the type Maurice wanted for the fourth line. It really didn't have anything to do with thinking they were too good, everything to so with the type and style Maurice wanted for the role.

Potential

Nov 11, 2017

I agree with this -- I like Petan personally, and think he's a great playmaker with a good shot. The Jet's will regret trading him away for nothing in return.

Yeah, this smells like Kris Draper 2.0. :/ I really hope this doesn't come back to bite us , but at the same time I liked Petan, so I kinda hope it does.

Reactions: GNP

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
Correct me if I am wrong because I stopped following the NHL after Jets 1.0 left town but it looks like Draper didn't break out until ten years after he was traded from Winnipeg. I don't call that coming back to bite.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Correct me if I am wrong because I stopped following the NHL after Jets 1.0 left town but it looks like Draper didn't break out until ten years after he was traded from Winnipeg. I don't call that coming back to bite.

Define breakout. He was traded in 1993. He was full time in the NHL the second year with Detroit, playing in all their cup games in their finals appearance 1995, and cup win in 1997. Amassing 1157 games in his career (20 with the Jets).

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
It took him a decade to reach 40 points in a season.

Define breakout. He was traded in 1993. He was full time in the NHL the second year with Detroit, playing in all their cup games in their finals appearance 1995, and cup win in 1997. Amassing 1157 games in his career (20 with the Jets).

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It took him a decade to reach 40 points in a season.

I think the point was that he was a useful depth player on a dominant Detroit team.

Not every player has to be a star to contribute. Not every skilled player needs to play in the top 6 to be useful. A 15 to 20 point skilled player who drives possession and out chances their opponents from the fourth line is useful.

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
Around here people (including Petan reportedly) thought Petan should be a top 6 player and not a 4th line player. That is what all the discussion about Petan centered around. That was never going to happen.

Reactions: Cypruss

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Around here people (including Petan reportedly) thought Petan should be a top 6 player and not a 4th line player. That is what all the discussion about Petan centered around. That was never going to happen.

I don't believe there was a lot of he must be in the top 6 chatter around here. There were those that thought he could be trailed as a complimentary piece in a three scoring line situation. Not all that disimiliar to what some other teams do. It was brought up around the time where our second line stunk and we werent getting scoring from our bottom 6.

There were also a number of people who thought he was doing well on the fourth line and could also contribute on the PP of it needed a shake up. At the time the other fourth line combos were bleeding shots and chances against.

From everything Chevy and Maurice said (your choice to believe it or not) Petan worked hard everyday in practice and had a positive attitude.

Sperss1997

Oct 29, 2015
Aarhus
I don't believe there was a lot of he must be in the top 6 chatter around here. There were those that thought he could be trailed as a complimentary piece in a three scoring line situation. Not all that disimiliar to what some other teams do. It was brought up around the time where our second line stunk and we werent getting scoring from our bottom 6.

There were also a number of people who thought he was doing well on the fourth line and could also contribute on the PP of it needed a shake up. At the time the other fourth line combos were bleeding shots and chances against.

From everything Chevy and Maurice said (your choice to believe it or not) Petan worked hard everyday in practice and had a positive attitude.
Well, I have read numerous posts in here, arguing that Petan would become a much better player than Ehlers. It was back in the days when they were both prospects. So lots of people saw a lot of upside in Petan

I think Lindholm for Petan was a trade that favoured Toronto biiig time. Chevy probably just let Petan go because Petan wanted a trade and Maurice obviously didnt fancy Petan - chemistry gone bad maybe?. I dont blame Mourice for that, it happens all the time in team sports on all levels. Superstars has been deemed “not good enough” in one club and hit stardom later in his/her carreer.

I will not be surprised if Petan end up being a solid mid-six player but it will not be on a stacked Toronto team. He should go to Ottawa (or similar level) instead.

Cypruss

Stand up for your beliefs.
Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba
Can we please all stop. Pretty please?? Petan is gone. He will not be missed....at all. He did not even come close to meeting expectations.

People complain that he didn't get a shot, played with Thorburn all the time, etc....get over it. If he was NHL caliber player, he would have performed.

To put it in perspective:

Nic Petan 108 games, 5 goals
Antti Miettinen 67 games, 8 goals

Both played with similar caliber players.

I don't remember people upset when Miettinen left, or was used on the 4th line. Petan got a shot, didn't perform/produce and the team moved on. Yes, what a great world junior year he had. Good for Canada in 2015. He had 11 points. In 2014, Saku Maenalanen had 11 points for Finland. A good WJC doesn't mean an NHL career is a given.....right Cody Hodgson? (He led the 2009 WJC tournament ahead of Tavares).

Petan is gone. Finally. Can we please move onto something else. He is not hard done by....he has made $2.5 million over the past 3 years. It would take the average Canadian 40 years to earn that.

He DID get a shot, didn't capatialize. He gets a fresh chance in Toronto. He was eating popcorn again last night watching the game.

Move on, Please......

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
It cannot be argued Parr maybe a much better fit on the 4th than Nic ever was.Now Par only played 1 game but he looked fantastic in the role.

After 1 game two thumbs up for Par.
You must have a pretty low threshold for looking "fantastic".

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
Can we please all stop. Pretty please?? Petan is gone. He will not be missed....at all. He did not even come close to meeting expectations.

People complain that he didn't get a shot, played with Thorburn all the time, etc....get over it. If he was NHL caliber player, he would have performed.

To put it in perspective:

Nic Petan 108 games, 5 goals
Antti Miettinen 67 games, 8 goals

Both played with similar caliber players.

I don't remember people upset when Miettinen left, or was used on the 4th line. Petan got a shot, didn't perform/produce and the team moved on. Yes, what a great world junior year he had. Good for Canada in 2015. He had 11 points. In 2014, Saku Maenalanen had 11 points for Finland. A good WJC doesn't mean an NHL career is a given.....right Cody Hodgson? (He led the 2009 WJC tournament ahead of Tavares).

Petan is gone. Finally. Can we please move onto something else. He is not hard done by....he has made $2.5 million over the past 3 years. It would take the average Canadian 40 years to earn that.

He DID get a shot, didn't capatialize. He gets a fresh chance in Toronto. He was eating popcorn again last night watching the game.

Move on, Please......
"Please stop"
*posts longest post in thread*

I guess you meant "please stop disagreeing with me".

Cypruss

Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba
"Please stop"
*posts longest post in thread*

I guess you meant "please stop disagreeing with me".

I don't mind when people disagree - but there is nothing at all that points to Petan being NHL caliber player other than speculation - and 3+ years of data showing that he is not good enough to be on a NHL roster. 11 pages for 2 inconsequential players swapping teams is crazy. I guess you can say Petan was polarizing. Just wish he was good.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I don't mind when people disagree - but there is nothing at all that points to Petan being NHL caliber player other than speculation - and 3+ years of data showing that he is not good enough to be on a NHL roster. 11 pages for 2 inconsequential players swapping teams is crazy. I guess you can say Petan was polarizing. Just wish he was good.

You are free to ignore the thread. This thread is specifically about the trade of the two of them. So I think its fair game to talk about who's better in the fourth line role.

RRenegade

Jul 13, 2016
Winnipeg
For what it's worth, Lindholm is on pace to play twice as many games as Petan.

With Petan's replacement in Toronto getting a hat trick and Lowry off suspension, neither of these players are likely to see games again for a while.

Reactions: LowLefty

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
In my eyes Lindholm ain't as good as Appleton so why the H E double toothpicks is Appleton in the minors and Lindholm up , shiny new toy thing or we traded for him so he must be better . I'm okay with the main trade but the rest of the trades were a waist of time, imo

Cypruss

Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba
In my eyes Lindholm ain't as good as Appleton so why the H E double toothpicks is Appleton in the minors and Lindholm up , shiny new toy thing or we traded for him so he must be better . I'm okay with the main trade but the rest of the trades were a waist of time, imo

Boulieau looking good so far, I think that one has an impact too!

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Boulieau looking good so far, I think that one has an impact too!
He is so so at best . I would put him about Morrow or a little lower .It's early yet but i don't think any better than Poolman really .

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
He DID get a shot, didn't capatialize. He gets a fresh chance in Toronto. He was eating popcorn again last night watching the game

Yeah, but he was eating Toronto popcorn which has got to be better than any popcorn you'll get in Winnipeg. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Cypruss

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad