Confirmed with Link: Pär Lindholm for Nic Petan

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Belzebob

Apr 10, 2016
It was a bad trade

you can spin it anyway you want

But Petan has more value than par lindholm

Traded more value for less value

oh good.

so pb petan is better than par.

I would be willing to bet that petan has a better chance of being a regular player on the leafs, than par does on the jets

so we traded a bit of an offence forward that we had no room for....

for a 4th line better defensive forward.

depth that we did not need for depth that we did need.

not that hard to see who won the trade

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Here we are at 200+ comments debating (sort of) the merits of one marginal fourth line player versus another. Think about that for a bit folks.

I mean, if we're doing it then we must get some enjoyment discussing things like that. You decided to come in and comment on it despite having no interest in it, maybe you should think about that?

Belzebob

Apr 10, 2016
It was a bad trade

But Petan has more value than par lindholm

and before you get all.....well you just proved my point

it proves that the jets have much more depth than the leafs.

unless your point is just to take any opportunity to crap on jets management

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
It was a bad trade

But Petan has more value than Par Lindholm

I agree with this -- I like Petan personally, and think he's a great playmaker with a good shot. The Jet's will regret trading him away for nothing in return.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Chevy has been shopping Petan for a while and Par ended up being an actual return. Doesn't look like anyone would give up more so not sure you can call it a bad trade.

Well the flip side of it is the org degraded his value by letting him sit in the press box. They did the same with Dano and Postma as well.

We really haven't done well in terms of asset management with regards to some talented players who might not be good enough to crack our top 6 but in the right environment could.

Instead having these players sit a more prudent strategy would have been to trade them a couple of years prior to their value eroding especially if they weren't in the plans. We know by now what Maurice likes in the fourth line so what is the point in keeping a Petan around so that he will sit.

Another thing that could have been done was for Chevy to force Maurice to play Petan to see if he could have upped his value a bit.

We have seen a couple promising assets degraded into zero return.

iannn

Jan 7, 2010
Well the flip side of it is the org degraded his value by letting him sit in the press box. They did the same with Dano and Postma as well.

We really haven't done well in terms of asset management with regards to some talented players who might not be good enough to crack our top 6 but in the right environment could.

Instead having these players sit a more prudent strategy would have been to trade them a couple of years prior to their value eroding especially if they weren't in the plans. We know by now what Maurice likes in the fourth line so what is the point in keeping a Petan around so that he will sit.

Another thing that could have been done was for Chevy to force Maurice to play Petan to see if he could have upped his value a bit.

Lol Dano was drafted and developed by two other NHL teams prior to being a Jet, and was also passed on by 75% of the league before COL picked him up. Then COL gave up on him too, and we picked him up again to play for the moose. Postma was a fringe PB guy in Boston, cleared waivers and then left the AHL to play in the KHL because he realized he would have no NHL career.

The Jets org has a very good history of developing prospects, blaming them for 2 players who couldn't get their shit together is laughable. Not every prospect turns out, and it's rarely because of the org/coaches. The NHL as a whole has agreed that these players don't have anywhere near the value you think they do.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Burmi was screwed by ATL management by rushing him to the NHL.

Burmi, for whatever reason, lost motivation for the sport, or just could not make a go of it. Burmistrov played in the Atlanta Thrashers system for only one year. He was 19 when the Thrashers moved to Winnipeg, so it was not that significant.

Last edited:

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta

Dano and Postma have done nothing since leaving the Jets organization. Dano returned, after he was released. Who have the Jets given up in the last five years that has gone to achieve bigger and better things for other teams?

The Jets have done perfectly fine. Probably better than 90% of NHL teams.

Petan was never going to fetch a good return. He got lucky in his first game with the Leafs, but odds are, he will find a spot on the Marlies.

Petan played over 100 games with the Jets and scored 5 goals. Good NHL players will find a way to make it work. Petan did not, in spite of all the chances he was given.

Name one...

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
and before you get all.....well you just proved my point

it proves that the jets have much more depth than the leafs.

unless your point is just to take any opportunity to crap on jets management

So the jets have more depth? So that means give up more value for less value?

These arguments about whether he would be sitting in the press box or not cracking the line up isnt the point

The point is petan Carrie's more value. Trading a one for one probably wasnt the way to get use petan's value

Petan is probably worth a 3rd at best if were being conservative and the jets traded him for the value of a 5th or 7th round pick

If we we're talking money
The jets gave up more money for less money

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Every team has their tweeners. Guys that are close to making it as an everyday NHL player but never quite make it and then eventually move on. There are approx a dozen or so players in the Jets organization that have been cast off by others and would fit this bill. Some have become career minor leaguers over time (Shaw, Kerdiles, Griffith), others have become important parts of our team (Matty P, Brossoit, and now Beaulieu), some are stuck in the middle as ongoing tweeners on the fringe of the NHL lineup (Morrow, Kiselevich, Lindholm).

IMO there is nothing special or negligent about how the organization treated Postma, Dano or Petan. The organization currently has 46 players under contract and 2 rosters to fill out. Not all of them get to be everyday NHL players. All 3 players you mentioned had a couple hundred NHL and AHL games to demonstrate their value and weren't able to cement a role. Postma and Dano had opportunities with other organizations were unable to do so. Now it is Petan's turn. I wish him luck but the odds are against him.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Dano and Postma have done nothing since leaving the Jets organization. Dano returned, after he was released. Who have the Jets given up in the last five years that has gone to achieve bigger and better things for other teams?

The Jets have done perfectly fine. Probably better than 90% of NHL teams.

Petan was never going to fetch a good return. He got lucky in his first game with the Leafs, but odds are, he will find a spot on the Marlies.

Petan played over 100 games with the Jets and scored 5 goals. Good NHL players will find a way to make it work. Petan did not, in spite of all the chances he was given.

Name one...

You made my point for me, their value eroded until they were worseless. I'm talking about trading Nic at the height of his value back after leading the WJC in thescoring with McDavid. Sometimes you need to make a call early on a prospect if you don't feel they are a long term fit. The Jets proceeded to have Petan bounce around for the next few years between the AHL, NHL fourth lines and press box eroding his value.

Dano was once the main piece we received for trading our captain. The org except for Maurice must have liked him at the time to target him. The coach didn't seem to have much use for him and his value eroded riding the pine. His development likely stalled as well.

Also you didn't read my post close enough, I said with players who weren't quite good enough to fit a skilled role on our team. Yes we have done quite well with the real blue chip forwards and the more traditional bottom 6 types.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Every team has their tweeners. Guys that are close to making it as an everyday NHL player but never quite make it and then eventually move on. There are approx a dozen or so players in the Jets organization that have been cast off by others and would fit this bill. Some have become career minor leaguers over time (Shaw, Kerdiles, Griffith), others have become important parts of our team (Matty P, Brossoit, and now Beaulieu), some are stuck in the middle as ongoing tweeners on the fringe of the NHL lineup (Morrow, Kiselevich, Lindholm).

IMO there is nothing special or negligent about how the organization treated Postma, Dano or Petan. The organization currently has 46 players under contract and 2 rosters to fill out. Not all of them get to be everyday NHL players. All 3 players you mentioned had a couple hundred NHL and AHL games to demonstrate their value and weren't able to cement a role. Postma and Dano had opportunities with other organizations were unable to do so. Now it is Petan's turn. I wish him luck but the odds are against him.

My point was the two players once had a lot of value and that value declined to the point where the players were worth nothing. It's like investing you want to see when your stocks are at there highest value. I think the Jets could have done better here with a couple of players. They did exactly that with Lemieux, pumped his value and then dealt him.

Petan was playing really well this year, no reason not to do the same imo.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Lol Dano was drafted and developed by two other NHL teams prior to being a Jet, and was also passed on by 75% of the league before COL picked him up. Then COL gave up on him too, and we picked him up again to play for the moose. Postma was a fringe PB guy in Boston, cleared waivers and then left the AHL to play in the KHL because he realized he would have no NHL career.

The Jets org has a very good history of developing prospects, blaming them for 2 players who couldn't get their **** together is laughable. Not every prospect turns out, and it's rarely because of the org/coaches. The NHL as a whole has agreed that these players don't have anywhere near the value you think they do.

You missed the point, it's about trading them before it gets to this point where there value is shot.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
My point was the two players once had a lot of value and that value declined to the point where the players were worth nothing. It's like investing you want to see when your stocks are at there highest value. I think the Jets could have done better here with a couple of players. They did exactly that with Lemieux, pumped his value and then dealt him.

Petan was playing really well this year, no reason not to do the same imo.
I think you over estimate Petan's value. He had mid 2nd round value when he was drafted. That was his high point. Once you get to D+6 and have struggled to be an everyday player you have next to no value. IMO there was no pumping Petan's tires because no one was really interested in him.

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I disagree with your philosophy. Why dress a placeholder line if you can dress a line that can dictate play and pop a few goals in.

Lindholm is 3 or so years older and has vastly inferior numbers.

Petan 53.2% CF and a 1.8 p/60
Lindholm 46.9% CF and a 1.2 p/60

We downgraded from a player who drives possession and scores at a 2nd/3rd line rate to an older player who scores at a fourth line rate and gets caved in possession wise.

But hey he looks like he is trying out there and can kill penalties. Style over substance yet again.
I don't believe it's style over substance. I think it's a difference in philosophy and that's ok.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
I just imagine this

Petan to Sabres for that dman #88
Then that toronto 4th line tht pks for a 6th round pick.

:)

Now how about that Hendrick trade? :huh:
I guess to un-stress the players?

Going back to Petan i would have rather kept him.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Postma, Dano, Burmi, and other “assets” that we have ruined haven’t done anything since we cut our ties with them.

I liked Petan and I thought he looked good when actually given an opportunity but it’s not like we traded away Sidney Crosby. I’m much more comfortable having Lindholm for the playoff run as depth over Petan anyway.

Reactions: Cypruss

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad