Confirmed with Link: Pär Lindholm for Nic Petan

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Had hoped Petan would land in a less deep roster where he may be fed top 6 minutes for 30 or so games to see if he can be a top 6 player. Just as unlikely in TO as it was in Winnipeg. Still he chose to sign there.

Makes me wonder why he was traded for a UFA that will not get an offer from the Jets.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Had hoped Petan would land in a less deep roster where he may be fed top 6 minutes for 30 or so games to see if he can be a top 6 player. Just as unlikely in TO as it was in Winnipeg. Still he chose to sign there.

Makes me wonder why he was traded for a UFA that will not get an offer from the Jets.
From all reports Chevy had assured Petan and his agent he would try to give him an opportunity else where if he could, and since this deal came in at the last second it appears that it was very likely the best one on the table.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
I think Dubas is a big fan of Petan. As noted above, with the depth issues they are going to have due to the cap, he may get a chance to play with some real skilled players.

Think he has a much better chance if Babcock is canned and Keefe takes over.

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016
I think it was done mostly to do a favour to Petan, as KB mentions above.

He might end up with a real opportunity with Seattle during the x-draft.

It’s interesting how Vegas had a few players blossom out of nowhere last year. I think a lot of teams have players like Petan - highly skilled, but just too far down the depth chart to be given that real shot. It’ll be interesting if Seattle gets a few players like that who suddenly start putting up good numbers. It may show how deep the entire league is nowadays and that the difference between some players who play top 6 roles vs. some who play bottom 6 isn’t as great as some may think it is... I think it’s also a reason why there’s great parity in the NHL (in addition to the salary cap and other factors). Can’t say the same about NBA and MLB.
Hopefully Petan gets his chance, I always liked him.

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
I think it was done mostly to do a favour to Petan, as KB mentions above.

He might end up with a real opportunity with Seattle during the x-draft.

Seattle getting a KHL team too?

Seems like the trend for undervalued guys leans more towards great skaters with underrated skill. Petan is the opposite.

I think that Petan signing a 2 year deal this early for that cheap says a lot about his value.

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Seattle getting a KHL team too?

Seems like the trend for undervalued guys leans more towards great skaters with underrated skill. Petan is the opposite.

I think that Petan signing a 2 year deal this early for that cheap says a lot about his value.

I see him as an average talent top six wise with below average speed and an obvious size disadvantage. As I said earlier - for a team like Toronto who totally pooched themselves with a huge unnecessary contract at forward, it could end up being the perfect scenario for him.

Not sure, Id rather have Marner than JT and Petan in my forward group. IF the Leafs manage to win the cup I will shut the hell up about Tavares but even then, they have weakened their forward group by signing him.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
I see him as an average talent top six wise with below average speed and an obvious size disadvantage. As I said earlier - for a team like Toronto who totally pooched themselves with a huge unnecessary contract at forward, it could end up being the perfect scenario for him.

Not sure, Id rather have Marner than JT and Petan in my forward group. IF the Leafs manage to win the cup I will shut the hell up about Tavares but even then, they have weakened their forward group by signing him.

Will be interesting to see who is willing to make a big trade, even if it means dealing a star they drafted. Seems like some teams have worked the trade market really well, and some really poor. I guess Alberta gives the polar opposites for that.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Petan was put on waivers by the Leafs. Cheap pickup for the Moose to join Dano? ,)

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Read on Twitter that Babcock kicked Petan off the ice during practice when he was bag skating the team.

Apparently Petan was dragging his ass during the skate, and Babcock got fed up, yelled at him to get his butt off the ice, then followed it up with a "Are you even suppose to be here??" comment.

That pretty much sealed the deal with Nic and the leafs. Also supports the theory that Nic never did himself any favors with his coaches because of his lack of practice ethics.

Reactions: Jet

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
At least the age old question of "petan will never pass thru waivers" will be answered now.

Reactions: Tommigun

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad