Friedman: Ottawa in on every conversation with a goalie + Toronto interested in Markstrom

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Ottawa trading assets for a mediocre 34 year old goalie would be hilarious.

Anybody trading a 1st + for a mediocre 34 year old goalie would be even more hilarious.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
What's so solid about Markstrom who's been pretty up and down in his career with periods of good play and then periods of not so good play. Not so different from a guy like Samsonov except costlier and older and both probably aren't able to get you through 4 rounds of playoffs.
Bobrovsky isn't unavailable to 31 teams, but you are still obligated to try to assemble a team.

GMs trust their pro scouts. They evaluate talent and other aspects. If Markstrom is worth the extra assets, then why not explore a trade.

It seems to me that there's only one roadblock here: he plays with CGY. For some reason I get the impression that CGY doesn't want to do business with TOR.

But they don't have next year's first. So if they trade this first, they have no picks in the first three rounds this year and no picks in the first three rounds next year.
Oh Dubas. You really f***ed up didn't you...

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Ok and? Yes he was bad in 22/23 while his wife was pregnant with their 1st born but he was stellar after that. This year he was easily a top 5 goalie in the league, just playing behind a bad team.
Markstrom also had to hastily arrange his marriage because at the time his wife was just his girlfriend.

So he was married just before Christmas I believe with their baby coming in February.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Ottawa trading assets for a mediocre 34 year old goalie would be hilarious.

Anybody trading a 1st + for a mediocre 34 year old goalie would be even more hilarious.

Tell me you haven't watched Markstrom, without telling me you haven't watched Markstrom.
The guy is a legit #1 goalie in the NHL. 60 starts a season, 910, 2.7.
Even this year when his numbers were 'down' he was the only reason the Flames were remotely in the wildcard mix until they traded everything not nailed down.

Reactions: LynnLoins

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Tell me you haven't watched Markstrom, without telling me you haven't watched Markstrom.
Even this year when his numbers were 'down' he was the only reason the Flames were remotely in the wildcard mix until they traded everything not nailed down.
He was league average this year, bad last year, 34 years old and makes 6M. He is still a starter but with such a short shelf life left nobody is paying premium assets. A late 1st with retention is your best bet.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
He was league average this year, bad last year, 34 years old and makes 6M. He is still a starter but with such a short shelf life left nobody is paying premium assets. A late 1st with retention is your best bet.

Please stop just looking up HockeyDB. Ask any Flames fan how impressive Markstrom was this season. In January there was talk of the Vezina if Calgary held onto the Wild Card.

Here are some stats:
For STARTING goalies: 1500mins+ this year.

Markstrom: #1 in HDSV%
Lowest shot average distance
Top 10 in rushed against

This guy was getting absolutely shelled with high danger chances against, and led the league in stopping them. Like, you pick up Markstrom, if you're in a competition window, you're adding a top 5-10 goalie in the NHL. If you're Calgary, and your defensive group has 4 guys most people have never heard of and you're entering a rebuild... yeah, this guys numbers aren't going to jump off the page.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Please stop just looking up HockeyDB. Ask any Flames fan how impressive Markstrom was this season. In January there was talk of the Vezina if Calgary held onto the Wild Card.

Here are some stats:
For STARTING goalies: 1500mins+ this year.

Markstrom: #1 in HDSV%
Lowest shot average distance
Top 10 in rushed against

This guy was getting absolutely shelled with high danger chances against, and led the league in stopping them. Like, you pick up Markstrom, if you're in a competition window, you're adding a top 5-10 goalie in the NHL. If you're Calgary, and your defensive group has 4 guys most people have never heard of and you're entering a rebuild... yeah, this guys numbers aren't going to jump off the page.
I watched him enough. Average NHL starter.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Bobrovsky isn't unavailable to 31 teams, but you are still obligated to try to assemble a team.

GMs trust their pro scouts. They evaluate talent and other aspects. If Markstrom is worth the extra assets, then why not explore a trade.

It seems to me that there's only one roadblock here: he plays with CGY. For some reason I get the impression that CGY doesn't want to do business with TOR.

I don't think Calgary has anything against doing business with Toronto. I think it's more an issue of Toronto not having a lot of assets available to move that Calgary would find appealing.

The Flames aren't contending any time soon so they want picks and/or prospects. Over the years, Dubas dealt away many of the Leafs picks (aside from 1st rounders), so the Leafs didn't have much to offer for Tanev or Zadorov. Hanifin wasn't going to play in Canada so he's a different story.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Ok and? Yes he was bad in 22/23 while his wife was pregnant with their 1st born but he was stellar after that. This year he was easily a top 5 goalie in the league, just playing behind a bad team.

Plenty of players have families that have children during the year and their play doesn't always flop. He's an older guy and some guys fall sooner than you expect.

If it was one down year you'd have more of a power not, but two is the start of a trend.

Teams may still have interest in the guy but the Flames are fighting an uphill battle. Trying to trade him I think

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Markstrom with 2 years left is a perfect match with the Leafs. It gives that two year window to really see what Toronto has in Woll going forward, gets a legit 1G on the team for next year and no long term commitment.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Remember going into the playoffs last year when Bobrovsky was 34 and had a .901? Goaltending is funny like that.
People think goalies aging curves are the same as skaters. They're not.
People also think they can read what a goalie is from what their save percentage says. They can't.

Honestly, that's why fans don't love paying out the wazoo for non elite goalies

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Markstrom with 2 years left is a perfect match with the Leafs. It gives that two year window to really see what Toronto has in Woll going forward, gets a legit 1G on the team for next year and no long term commitment.
I’m surprised it hasn’t been done yet. 23OA for Markstrom 50% retained makes too much sense unless Markstrom isn’t willing to go.

Reactions: 93gilmour93

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023

I too enjoy citing career stats for a 34 year old because he's obviously declining.

Never mind that his numbers this year were actually up significantly from his abysmal 22-23 season.

RunItBackAgain

“We were right there”
Oct 14, 2021
Pretty funny all the Leaf fans who have clearly never watched Markstrom. He’s the only reason the Flames aren’t drafting top 3 this year. Super underrated goalie and would be a fantastic addition for 2 years. Easily the best goalie we could ice since Andersen. And probably at a super reasonable cost too.

Reactions: Volica

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Remember going into the playoffs last year when Bobrovsky was 34 and had a .901? Goaltending is funny like that.
People think goalies aging curves are the same as skaters. They're not.
People also think they can read what a goalie is from what their save percentage says. They can't.

They also can’t read them from expected goals saved or other public stats like that. Shot location and type data just glosses over too much about how the play developed, especially when it’s not a rush chance.

Reactions: Bounces R Way

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002

I don't think Connie has any problem trading with Trev, it's just that he's not going to give something up for less
Markstrom to Tor could for sure happen, but they will likely have to give up that 1st.
Maybe we add a 2nd or 3rd?

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Pretty funny all the Leaf fans who have clearly never watched Markstrom. He’s the only reason the Flames aren’t drafting top 3 this year. Super underrated goalie and would be a fantastic addition for 2 years. Easily the best goalie we could ice since Andersen. And probably at a super reasonable cost too.
I really can't believe how many clueless fans there are out there

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad