OT: OT: Lets Go Cardinals! (All Baseball Talk Here) Part 2

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
6 innings of 2 hit ball by Liberatore against Atlanta. He really hasn’t been put in the best position to succeed but has done pretty well considering the circumstances. Burleson continues to rake. Definitely proving me wrong.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
I'm glad they're finally playing Burleson. He's done nothing but hit, and now he's making good choices with what pitches to swing at. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing him at first base while trading Goldschmidt.

Center field is going to look pretty bad with Edman having a setback, though; I'm not at the point where I want to trade multiple good young players for Robert, but Siani can't hit worth shit (fantastic defender, though), Nootbaar is always hurt, and Scott isn't ready (even though he's doing a bit better, having stolen twenty bases). Fortunately, Chase Davis is actually hitting extremely well at the moment, and Jordan Walker is still ridiculously young. I don't think the future outfield is that big a worry, even if the current one is a huge weakness.

I know this is going to sound very controversial...but I would not draft Hagen Smith, Chase Burns, or Trey Yesavage with #7. There's absolutely no way I draft a pitcher that highly, not when we're rarely this bad, not when you can find potentially elite pitchers literally everywhere (for example, Spencer Strider was a fourth-round pick), whereas elite hitters are usually high picks. Give me Konnor Griffin or Bryce Rainer there. I think either could be an elite third baseman, and then you could save money to get another high schooler (possibly a pitcher) in the third round (or even another in the fourth round).

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
I don't watch any games at all, but is Gorman really as bad as the numbers suggest? And I don't mean just his batting average.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
For the life of me, I can’t understand why Dylan Carlson insists on being a switch hitter. He is so much better from the right side (.293/.363/.442/.805) than he is from the left (.219/.301/.360/.662) that I have to think some of that success would carry over to righty versus righty. He just seems to have so much better plate discipline from the right side, too, which is validated by his walk rate being slightly higher and his K rate slightly lower from the right side.

Reactions: Vladys Gumption

Spear

Anonymous source FOR HIRE
Sponsor
Mar 31, 2009
St. Louis, MO
For the life of me, I can’t understand why Dylan Carlson insists on being a switch hitter. He is so much better from the right side (.293/.363/.442/.805) than he is from the left (.219/.301/.360/.662) that I have to think some of that success would carry over to righty versus righty. He just seems to have so much better plate discipline from the right side, too, which is validated by his walk rate being slightly higher and his K rate slightly lower from the right side.

Agreed. You would think Cards mgmt would have a chat with him and tell him they want him to hit only right-handed for awhile and see how he does. At this point he's got nothing to lose. His playing time is minimal and being a consistent hitting right-handed bat might be his path back to increased playing time.

Reactions: MissouriMook

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
So how do we feel about Wetherholt?
Kinda lukewarm. He's good, obviously. But I really wanted Kurtz, Caglianone, or one of the top 2 pitchers. Other teams had them equally high, so we got fair value but I don't think he's a huge steal. Really sucks that we moved down in the lottery, otherwise we would have been guaranteed one of them.

Last edited:

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Toolsy middle infielder who makes incredible contact and hits to all fields. Love the sound of him but I don’t watch college baseball. Saw a stat that he only whiffed on 6% of pitches in the zone this season which seems impossible given the talent of D1 pitchers. Prospect guys I follow are ecstatic so I’m pretty excited. Feels like he and Winn up the middle would be pretty sweet.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Toolsy middle infielder who makes incredible contact and hits to all fields. Love the sound of him but I don’t watch college baseball. Saw a stat that he only whiffed on 6% of pitches in the zone this season which seems impossible given the talent of D1 pitchers. Prospect guys I follow are ecstatic so I’m pretty excited. Feels like he and Winn up the middle would be pretty sweet.

Two major hamstring injuries in the calendar year, is small and slight, and I don't think he has any carrying tools other than his bat, which already has little power as is. You want a lesser Luis Arraez, Wetherholt's your guy.

He's a "safe" pick, and I hate safe in this part of the draft.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Two major hamstring injuries in the calendar year, is small and slight, and I don't think he has any carrying tools other than his bat, which already has little power as is. You want a lesser Luis Arraez, Wetherholt's your guy.

He's a "safe" pick, and I hate safe in this part of the draft.
Prospect and analytic guys seem to love it so I’m good with it.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
The big thing is probably where does his power end up. If he's a 20+ HR guy, he's going to be a stud for us.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
I was hoping for a top of the rotation type prospect but by all accounts Wetherholt is a stud so I am fine with the pick. Can't say I follow baseball prospects like I do hockey so I really have no idea though.

Ad

Ad

Ad