OT: OT: Lets Go Cardinals! (All Baseball Talk Here) Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Actually, he leads MLB in DWAR among SS.
Ketel Marte and his 1 inning of work doesn't really count.

Winn has a ton of range, gets a ton of chances and turns a ton of double plays. Some throwing errors are to be expected, but overall he's been an absolute gem defensively.
Admittedly, I don't watch games, so I don't know. Once in a while, I look at boxscores and his 8 errors stood out, but I'll trust the opinion of those who actually watch the games.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
Winn is an absolute stud and should be a mainstay for the next decade or so. Definitely a few growing pains with the errors but nothing to worry about IMO, he is gonna be winning gold gloves in the near future.

Great to see the kind of turn around we have recently, the team is actually fun to watch again. Hopefully they can keep it up against a great Phillies team this weekend.

Reactions: ChicagoBlues

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Winn is definitely a stud defensively. Errors are kind of a weird stat. He’s definitely had some blatant misplays, but he’s also made “errors” on balls that most other SS wouldn’t have gotten to, so while they wouldn’t get an error on the play, they also never have a chance to actually make the play like Winn does. Love everything about him. He’s confident to the point of almost being cocky, but not quite. He plays hard, he plays smart, and he’s unbelievably talented. One of my favorite Cardinals in a LONG time.

oPlaiD

Dec 3, 2007
Winn's arm could potentially be the best arm in MLB history at the shortstop position. He'll need a bit more consistency and obviously some longevity to actually do it, but it's a definite possibility. It's also great the other parts of his game are strong enough he'll have the chance to show it.

He's also a kid who is very smart about how to play baseball and has leadership quality. I feel like he could kind of become our next generation's Molina in terms of what he can do in those regards. Catcher may be a better spot to do that from, but SS would be the next best thing. Here's hoping he continues to develop like this.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
I’m glad I brought up Winn. So happy that he’s more than a weird stat.

I love defensive baseball and solid pitching. Winn is compelling me to watch some games. I gotta see this kid. Seems he’s got attitude as well and the chops to back it up. Pretty exciting.

It’s about time we have someone to cheer for. If the Cardinals can solidify 2nd base and catcher, then I’ll get even more excited.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
The Cardinals' pitching strengths are giving up relatively few BBs and forcing double-plays on the ground. In terms of other pitching metrics, they're in the middle of the pack.

Combine that with Winn (hitting and snagging GDPs) and Gorman starting to figure it out at the plate and it's no longer looking extremely terrible for the Cards. They have a few strengths upon which they can build, but their overall offensive output is simply lacking. Starting to show up.

And then there's Mo to undermine the few strengths the team has.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis

bowtie boy and marmol must go.

Yes, both need to go DizeeRef!!

I want to keep an eye on Iván Herrera. He might be a gamer.

I seriously cannot believe people will go sit in the sun to watch the 2nd most boring sport there is.

• Haha

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
golf, I would say curling but at least that has ice. Also, I do mean to watch, going to a driving range or batting cage is always fun.
The only times I enjoyed going to a baseball game is when I did the scorecard (that's fun) and eat peanuts. Otherwise, I never eat peanuts. When I was a kid, I used to watch golf on TV. I was fascinated at how these people can hit a tiny ball all the way to a tiny hole that's really far away. Consistently. It's impressive.

But baseball is pretty boring.

A Real Barn Burner

Apr 25, 2016
golf, I would say curling but at least that has ice. Also, I do mean to watch, going to a driving range or batting cage is always fun.

Most boring being actually going to the event? Never been but thought golf would be interesting to watch in person….

Cricket takes most boring for me. Imagine a 7 hour baseball game for 5 days straight and then it still ends in a draw. I was stationed in England and the Brit’s would have those matches on tv during my 12 hour watch for days at a time. Would rather watch paint dry lol.

Got bamboozled while over there into actually going to a cricket match for an afternoon and it was even worse than watching it on tv. There is a reason English people consume so much alcohol compared to Americans.

1718734573547.jpeg

Last edited:

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Scary in the 9th, but a W nonetheless. Helsley seems to have 0 confidence in his fastball. He threw a ton of sliders and the fastballs he did throw were hit pretty hard. Wonder if he’s tipping it or something.

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
Scary in the 9th, but a W nonetheless. Helsley seems to have 0 confidence in his fastball. He threw a ton of sliders and the fastballs he did throw were hit pretty hard. Wonder if he’s tipping it or something.
I think he currently has no idea where his fastball is going

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad