Proposal: Oilers need Defense and a Goalie

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Time to go all in, if can’t get it done in next couple years recoup futures trading Drai and/or McDavid….

Chychurn + Crouse for ‘22 1st + Broberg + Barrie + 2nd + Lagesson

price@50% + Petry for ‘23 1st + koskinen + Yams + Lavioe

LTIRetire Smith

sign E Kane

E Kane - McDavid - Puljujarvi
Hyman - Drai - Foegele
Crouse - Nuge - McLeod
Shore - Ryan - Kassian

Nurse - Petry
Chychurn - Ceci
Keith - Bouchard

Price
Skinner

Pass on Price and Petry. Bad fit and I don't think Petry would waive to come back here.

Reactions: Ragdoll

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Pass on Price and Petry. Bad fit and I don't think Petry would waive to come back here.
I actually would gamble on Price if 1) we got to see him play a game or two first, 2) the cost is fairly low in terms of futures, 3) he wants to come to Edmonton - I have no interest in a guy who just went through rehab coming here if he doesn't want to. I don't think that would be good for someone's recovery, and 4) Montreal retains a LOT. Of course as has been discussed time and time again, how much retention is needed on Edmonton's end wouldn't make any sense on Montreal's end of things, and I wouldn't pay a dime in extra assets for retention here, in this deal, retention is the cost of doing business.

I agree that Petry wouldn't waive for Edmonton. He couldn't get out fast enough last time.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
If the Oilers make a trade with Arizona and go after Chychrun they'd have to move Barrie and Koskinen and also land Vejmelka. That would cost a ton. So the rumor online was Holland offering a 1st, Samourkov and Barrie for Chychrun, and the Yotes countered with a 1st, Broberg and Barrie.

I'd be willing to move a 1st, Broberg, Barrie plus another top asset if it meant dealing Kosk and getting Vejmelka.

Ill be pissed if we really could have added Chychrun for Broberg and our 1st and they take Barrie to off set the cap. Passing on this should get Holland fired.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Oilers should aim at something smaller to stop the bleeding and try to get things back on track. They missed their chance on fixing goaltending in the offseason.

Probably not quite what the OP is looking for as far as defense, but what about Johan Larsson for Turris + '23 3rd + Marody.

Larsson would help the PK and provide some supplemental scoring from the bottom 6.

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
I’m not sure if it has been mentioned already, but would Ullmark from the Bruins be a target? With Rask returning and a more than capable goalie in the minors in Swayman as backup he may be available no?

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I actually would gamble on Price if 1) we got to see him play a game or two first, 2) the cost is fairly low in terms of futures, 3) he wants to come to Edmonton - I have no interest in a guy who just went through rehab coming here if he doesn't want to. I don't think that would be good for someone's recovery, and 4) Montreal retains a LOT. Of course as has been discussed time and time again, how much retention is needed on Edmonton's end wouldn't make any sense on Montreal's end of things, and I wouldn't pay a dime in extra assets for retention here, in this deal, retention is the cost of doing business.

I agree that Petry wouldn't waive for Edmonton. He couldn't get out fast enough last time.
So you have interest in Price if he proves first that he is still a star goalie, comes with max retention, declares his love for Edmonton and come at extremely low cost.

Counter offer - I have interest in Koskinen if he comes with 2 first round picks, Oulers retain max salary and Koskinen declares Montreal to be the mecca of Hockey. Oh, and the Oilers take Byron as well.

#CompletelyUnrealisticAsks

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Ben Chiarot @1.75m and Jake Allen @1.5m for Koskinen and futures would be a good start for them.

But the futures would have to be pretty enticing to get Montreal's attention.

Without a cap dump (Koskinen) and retention on acquisitions, there's no way the Oilers can do what OP is suggesting which means pay through the nose in picks/prospects or hoping the team comes out of it on their own.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
So you have interest in Price if he proves first that he is still a star goalie, comes with max retention, declares his love for Edmonton and come at extremely low cost.

Counter offer - I have interest in Koskinen if he comes with 2 first round picks, Oulers retain max salary and Koskinen declares Montreal to be the mecca of Hockey. Oh, and the Oilers take Byron as well.

It's also unrealistic to expect any team to trade for an aging goalie coming off of knee surgeries and rehab when said goalie comes with a 10.5M cap hit if nothing is retained. So yeah. Nothing about trading Price is realistic right now.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005

#usedcarsalesman. We know what you are peddling. It’s incredibly risky damaged goods and you know it. Price has been offered by Habs for to anyone who they think will listen for a reason.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Ben Chiarot @1.75m and Jake Allen @1.5m for Koskinen and futures would be a good start for them.

But the futures would have to be pretty enticing to get Montreal's attention.

Without a cap dump (Koskinen) and retention on acquisitions, there's no way the Oilers can do what OP is suggesting which means pay through the nose in picks/prospects or hoping the team comes out of it on their own.

allens sv% has mostly lingered in the .906 % range for the past 5 seasons with 1 notable exception. That’s not appreciably different from where koskinen has been. Allen has also played for more defensively sound teams. I just don’t see him as much of an upgrade other then the caphit

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
#usedcarsalesman. We know what you are peddling. It’s incredibly risky damaged goods and you know it. Price has been offered by Habs for to anyone who they think will listen for a reason.
I am not peddling Price. I am saying that a trade of Price is completely unrealistic! To believe there is a chance he goes to Edmonton is laughable at best.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
At this point it doesn't matter anyways. The Oilers may miss the playoffs altogether and another year wasted.
Go home try again next season....
They need a top 10 goalie, 2 stay at home D , and some depth in the bottom 6 forwards. Without that there isn't a hope.
Giving up a massive amount for price is ideal IF they had the other boxes checked .....at this point time is up to build they need to fox this via trade

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
We’ll this ought to put the Price to Edmonton foolishness to bed for a while:

Canadiens' Carey Price restarting knee rehab after meeting with doctor - Sportsnet.ca

I have a hard time believing anyone would trade for Price “while”:

- He’s still in rehab for his off ice problem still
- Slow progress on his knee rehab
- Hasn’t played a single game this year, while no schedule when he’s even able to play.
- He owns a brutal contract in terms of both cap hit and term.
- His age….

One can’t change his age, the rest can be addressed (retention) and he rehabs (both his knee & off ice problems) and he needs to play successfully a number of games in the NHL and look good. The problem with all this is that the TDL is approaching rapidly and Habs are quickly running out of time this season to trade him. Hard to imagine all these things could happen before the TDL. Maybe a summer trade is possible with significant retention.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
I have a hard time believing anyone would trade for Price “while”:

- He’s still in rehab for his off ice problem still
- Slow progress on his knee rehab
- Hasn’t played a single game this year, while no schedule when he’s even able to play.
- He owns a brutal contract in terms of both cap hit and term.
- His age….

One can’t change his age, the rest can be addressed (retention) and he rehabs (both his knee & off ice problems) and he needs to play successfully a number of games in the NHL and look good. The problem with all this is that the TDL is approaching rapidly and Habs are quickly running out of time this season to trade him. Hard to imagine all these things could happen before the TDL. Maybe a summer trade is possible with significant retention.
I hope not. Habs can keep him.

Reactions: Hunter368

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
I am not peddling Price. I am saying that a trade of Price is completely unrealistic! To believe there is a chance he goes to Edmonton is laughable at best.
No, you were saying you didn’t like the offers. I’m glad Price to Edmonton is laughable. You can keep him.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Oilers need defense and goalie but don't want to give up anything of value... am I caught up?
kinda . the best offer i could make them is chariot 50% retained and allen for holloway , whichever pick edmonton retains in the keith trade 2nd or 3rd and koskinen .

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
If you think owners are going to pay 2.5m remaining million cash for a pick on an albatross deal, then you are not paying attention to the 2022 economy.

Owners buy out 20 million dollar contracts. I think you are the one not paying attention

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad