Proposal: Oilers need Defense and a Goalie

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Sens fan, no dog in this fight. Chicago is going to have to take salary back no matter what if they are dealing fleury to a contender.
Yeah, they won't get a ton of assets for taking back pro-rated salary to make the cap work. It's the cost of doing business with large contracts at the deadline.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
How about the Oilers try and acquire Sorokin from the Islanders?

:edmonton

Ilya Sorokin

:isles

Mikko Koskinen
2022 1st
Conditional 3rd (moves up to a 2nd if some playoff success, TBD) 2023

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
How about the Oilers try and acquire Sorokin from the Islanders?

:edmonton

Ilya Sorokin

:isles

Mikko Koskinen
2022 1st
Conditional 3rd (moves up to a 2nd if some playoff success, TBD) 2023
can't see the islanders giving him up that cheap plus taking a cap dump

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Neither of those pieces are worth Holloway. Not a chance. How wonderful the money balances. it is still a rip off of the Oilers.

Also, for the umpteenth time Holland said outright he would not deal top picks or prospects for rentals.
fair enough . didn't know holloway was valued that high . in another thread i seen a choice of him or lavoie.

Reactions: bucks_oil

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I get that, but with Halak he is currently on the IR (per capfriendly) and not sure how long the oilers can afford to wait, Khudobin has been pretty bad this year and is locked in for another year so i doubt you would want to replace koskinen with another one. Ullmark i dont think becomes available until the offseason at earliest depending on how boston views Swayman's development and if rask indicates early that he is planning on coming back. For arguments sake if Ullmark was available now i doubt boston would accept any cap dumps as the bruins are a playoff team so edmonton would have to expand the deal to a 3 team deal due to Ullmark's cap hit and then pay more to dump cap.

Right now in terms of other cheap options for the oilers there are (Cost and cap hit wise)
Martin Jones
Craig Anderson
Maybe driedger due to his performance this year and the kraken having Daccord (but this would be a risky gamble due to his term)

So i guess it really depends on if the oilers are looking to bandaid a solution or are willing to pay more/pay up to get something more stable now

Honestly, given his body of work, I'd much rather go for Khudobin... he's also cheaper, so if Dallas will take on Koskinen for a couple of months to gain the benefit of not paying Khudobin next year, I think we could have a deal... it gives Edmonton a little more wiggle room for salaries at the TDL.

I also like Craig Anderson and why not add another 40 year old goalie and corner the market.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
fair enough . didn't know holloway was valued that high . in another thread i seen a choice of him or lavoie.

Yeah... definitely not the same.

Holloway, Bourgault & Broberg are recent 1st rounders that have impressed since, so we view them > a 1st since they are developing well and nearer to the NHL.

Lavoie is also a recent 1st, but he's slipped a bit into our 2nd tier of prospects.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Oilers do need a more reliable #1 goalie-that's true. As for defensive help, yeah, I can see that but what they really need is a recommitment to team defense even if that means sacrificing a little offensive production. They could also use another top six forward that can take some of the pressure off McDrai. What kind of cap space do they have to make a deal (s)?

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Linus Ullmark for Koskinen + Benson and 3rd rounder.

I doubt (and probably many other GMs) Benson will ever make the NHL. So this package is really ugly for Boston. Ullmark's Co tract isn't ideal in Boston at the moment but that doesn't mean it's actually a bad contract. Ullmark is a starter - probably best as a 1a. So you won't get him for peanuts.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

OneSniffTwoSniff

Jan 18, 2022
I doubt (and probably many other GMs) Benson will ever make the NHL. So this package is really ugly for Boston. Ullmark's Co tract isn't ideal in Boston at the moment but that doesn't mean it's actually a bad contract. Ullmark is a starter - probably best as a 1a. So you won't get him for peanuts.

How about Ullmark for Koskinen + Broberg + pick(s)/prospect

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I'd pay for the dinner first, it would be more respectful lol

I'd offer more if it'd be fairer to the Islanders. No problem with that.

can't see the islanders giving him up that cheap plus taking a cap dump

Koskinen at least isn't the cap dump that people portray him as. His contract is over in 40 games or so and is fine as a back up. He definitely isn't a starter. As stated above I'd add to get Sorokin. Not trying to pull a fast one here on the NYI.

How about Ullmark for Koskinen + Broberg + pick(s)/prospect

Good grief that is bad for the Oilers. You have them adding on top of Broberg? Who wouldn't be available for Ullmark anyway? Geez.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I'd offer more if it'd be fairer to the Islanders. No problem with that.

Koskinen at least isn't the cap dump that people portray him as. His contract is over in 40 games or so and is fine as a back up. He definitely isn't a starter. As stated above I'd add to get Sorokin. Not trying to pull a fast one here on the NYI.

Good grief that is bad for the Oilers. You have them adding on top of Broberg? Who wouldn't be available for Ullmark anyway? Geez.
At a $4.5 million cap hit and a save percentage at .900 the last two years Koskinen is the very definition of a cap dump. The only good thing is that the bloated contract expires this year. But there will definitely be a fairly high cost if the Oilers want to get out of that contract early.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
At a $4.5 million cap hit Koskinen is the very definition of a cap dump. The only good thing is that the bloated contract expires this year. But there will definitely be a cost if the Oilers want to get out of that contract early.

Are you of the thinking it would cost the Oilers a 1st to move him? Can you demonstrate any other expiring contract at that number which cost a 1st mid way through the year? I can't.

So, just to be clear for everyone on this website: Koskinen's contract is done in 48 games. Pro rated:

48/82 = 58.5%

$4.5 Million X 58.5% = $2.63 Million.

That is what is left on Koskinen's contract.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Are you of the thinking it would cost the Oilers a 1st to move him? Can you demonstrate any other expiring contract at that number which cost a 1st mid way through the year? I can't.

So, just to be clear for everyone on this website: Koskinen's contract is done in 48 games. Pro rated:

48/82 = 58.5%

$4.5 Million X 58.5% = $2.63 Million.

That is what is left on Koskinen's contract.
I’m thinking it would cost at least a second for someone to take on that cap hit. Cap space has significant value and taking on Koskinen is wasting cap that could be used on a productive player. Marleau cost a first to move a year and he was still a decent player. Koskinen is not really even a decent backup with that save percentage.

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
Nobody will take Price right now, Price is not ready to play, in fact Price may try again but his Knee his hip his head just might force him into ltir forever of an out right retirement, its all up in the air. This is not the oil problem its all in the hands of the habs to deal with. This is why the habs are diving to the bottom this year. As for the OIL well its clear they need d AND goalie. In this league you get what you pay for, there is NO SUCH THING as a top goalie for cheap. Its real simple, If you want a good goalie your going to have to pay something GOOD, something you dont want to give but THATS the truth. The only other way to solve your long term goalie problem is to DRAFT and wait until he is ready for prime time. That means you are burning down 2-3 years of a Stanley cup win.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I’m thinking it would cost at least a second for someone to take on that cap hit. Cap space has significant value and taking on Koskinen is wasting cap that could be used on a productive player. Marleau cost a first to move a year and he was still a decent player. Koskinen is not really even a decent backup with that save percentage.

Marleau had WAY more on his contract owing than Koskinen and even then it was thought to be an overpayment. Bad example.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Marleau had WAY more on his contract owing than Koskinen and even then it was thought to be an overpayment. Bad example.
I disagree. It’s a great example as to why bad contracts have a high cost to move in a cap world and there are countless other examples. Marleau was $6 million plus. Koskinen is $4.5 million. It will cost at least a second. You’re dreaming if you don’t see him as a cap dump. That’s a bad contract and the Oilers will have to pay another team to take on a goalie that is a .900 goalie. Welcome to the cap world.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I disagree. It’s a great example as to why bad contracts have a high cost to move in a cap world and there are countless other examples. Marleau was $6 million plus. Koskinen is $4.5 million. It will cost at least a second. You’re dreaming if you don’t see him as a cap dump. That’s a bad contract and the Oilers will have to pay another team to take on a goalie that is a .900 goalie. Welcome to the cap world.

I don't disagree that Koskinen will cost something from the Oilers to move. That is a reality in our cap world. I keep seeing people post how it will cost a 1st and I don't see any contract with $2.6 M left on it as costing that much.

So as I stated in my proposal I offered a conditional 3rd, which could move to a 2nd depending on how the Oilers do, let's say get out of the 1st round. I see that as a relatively fair price to move Koskinen.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I don't disagree that Koskinen will cost something from the Oilers to move. That is a reality in our cap world. I keep seeing people post how it will cost a 1st and I don't see any contract with $2.6 M left on it as costing that much.

So as I stated in my proposal I offered a conditional 3rd, which could move to a 2nd depending on how the Oilers do, let's say get out of the 1st round. I see that as a relatively fair price to move Koskinen.
Fair enough. I said it would cost a second round pick. I don’t see any team taking that contract on for a conditional third. Marleau was owed more but was a useful player still. I see Koskinen more as a pure cap dump.

Last edited:

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
61qk7n.jpg

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Fair enough. I said it would cost a second round pick. I don’t see any team taking that contract on for a conditional third. Marleau was owed more but was a useful player still. I see Koskinen more as a pure cap dump.
Marleau was useless as a player as it was well known he was never going to play for the Canes. 1st round pick saved Toronto 6 million. You think the Oilers will have to pay a 2nd to save 2.5 million?

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Marleau was useless as a player as it was well known he was never going to play for the Canes. 1st round pick saved Toronto 6 million. You think the Oilers will have to pay a 2nd to save 2.5 million?
If Marleau was useless what does that make Koskinen? Marleau scored 10 goals in 58 games with San Jose after the trade.
Marleau was grossly overpaid but definitely not useless. I would not be shocked to see Koskinen in Europe next year. There’s just not a market for .900 goalies.

Cap space has significant value and unlike when Marleau was moved, the cap is not projected to rise so it’s value is even higher. Any team in the playoffs could use that $2.5 million cap space to acquire a $4.5 million player who can actually help the team significantly so there will be a limited market for teams willing to take on a pure dump.

I think a second round unprotected pick is a reasonable price based on the current cap environment.
We will see who is right.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If Marleau was useless what does that make Koskinen? Marleau scored 10 goals in 58 games with San Jose after the trade.
Marleau was grossly overpaid but definitely not useless. I would not be shocked to see Koskinen in Europe next year. There’s just not a market for .900 goalies.

If Koskinen is moved it will definitely

No one really cares for 30 games or whatever. If Koskinen had an extra year left on his deal, then it's a much different story.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
No one really cares for 30 games or whatever. If Koskinen had an extra year left on his deal, then it's a much different story.
The opportunity cost of using up $4.5 million of pro rated cap space on Koskinen is missing out on signing another very good $4.5 million rental player. I think most teams except for a few bottom feeders will care a lot.
And even the bottom feeders will extract a high price given the long list of teams trying to dump cap. That’s why we see so few teams being able to shed cap. It’s just very difficult in a flat cap world.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad