Proposal: Oilers need Defense and a Goalie

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

Price isn’t playing before the TDL, rehab starting from the beginning again. Yikes

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Price isn’t playing before the TDL, rehab starting from the beginning again. Yikes

Yep, time to park this discussion. I'm thinking Montreal's solution to Price's cap hit may be at hand. It's called LTIR and Price may be about to be on it.

Has any team had two players the caliber of Price and Weber end up LTIRetiring in such a short time?

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Yep, time to park this discussion. I'm thinking Montreal's solution to Price's cap hit may be at hand. It's called LTIR and Price may be about to be on it.

Has any team had two players the caliber of Price and Weber end up LTIRetiring in such a short time?

I wonder if Price just goes LTIR between physical injury & personal off ice problems, age and a team in last place in the NHL.

Reactions: ManofSteel55

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012

price will be back next year fully healthy . add to that once his bonus is paid in july the rest of that contract becomes much more manageable to an acquiring team . will revisit this idea next year at this time . perhaps edmonton and colorado may have their goaltending figured out by than .

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
No, you were saying you didn’t like the offers. I’m glad Price to Edmonton is laughable. You can keep him.

look up my history on this topic - I maintain a trade of Price is unrealistic .

As for the poster’s offer, it was laughable and unrealistic!

As for your post, it was pointless. Lol

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
i'll revise my offer . chariot 50% retained and allen for holloway , 2023 3rd and koskinen . money balances . gives oilers a boost to get to the dance .

things may look bleak at the moment for oiler fans but they still have 5-6 games on hand on the ducks and sharks . chariot and allen would be a huge boost.

Last edited:

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Fleury makes too much sense at this point. Koskinen + what for Fleury. Hawks got him for free, they're playing with house money.
i would agree but i'm betting they would want more than holloway, a2023 3rd and koskinen

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Well that's not realistic. 2nd and an ok prospect should get it done.
ok but i'm assuming you'll want maximum retention and have to unload koskinen no ?
i don't believe you can take on fleury when you consider the cap . you'll need retention and a contract going out .

Last edited:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Habs lost 2 future hall of famers in same summer. Don't know if that has happened before.

Undeterminable if Price career is over yet though. But there is a chance it is.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
i'll revise my offer . chariot 50% retained and allen for holloway , 2023 3rd and koskinen . money balances . gives oilers a boost to get to the dance .

things may look bleak at the moment for oiler fans but they still have 5-6 games on hand on the ducks and sharks . chariot and allen would be a huge boost.
Oilers may have waited too long to improve. Netminding has costs them 5 or 6 games so far this season. Addition 10-12 points put them at top of division

Reactions: bucks_oil

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
i d
Oilers may have waited too long to improve. Netminding has costs them 5 or 6 games so far this season. Addition 10-12 points put them at top of division
i don't buy into the concept it's to late . their 6 points behind 2 teams that they have 5/6 games on hand on . they just need a spark . whether it's fire the coach , make a trade , there is lots of time left yet . anaheim and san jose could slump to .

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
i d

i don't buy into the concept it's to late . their 6 points behind 2 teams that they have 5/6 games on hand on . they just need a spark . whether it's fire the coach , make a trade , there is lots of time left yet . anaheim and san jose could slump to .
Delay mistake seems to have sagged his team. But we will see. He needs to get finger out for sure

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
A hypothetical Oilers off-season without making the playoffs looks rough under a somewhat flat cap. When you take into consideration Nurse's pay increase and the NMCs, there's not much room to maneuver, especially with the need to lure goaltending help.

Puljujarvi's contract will be interesting. He's producing at a rate that he should get paid. And he's got arbitration rights. But do the Oilers put that much cap into five forwards when the team needs are so glaringly on the backend and in goal? That seems like the opposite of the right thing to do.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
ok but i'm assuming you'll want maximum retention and have to unload koskinen no ?
i don't believe you can take on fleury when you consider the cap . you'll need retention and a contract going out .

I don't think @bert is an Oiler fan... Vancouver if I'm correct?

In any case... from this Oil fan perspective:
  • Yes, we need to send Koskinen's EXPIRING contract out the door, as we only have $1M in available cap. but it doesn't really need to be in the same deal... it's just easier
  • Independent of salaries, I agree with Bert... Fleury should be a 2nd and B+ prospect, or a 1st on it's own
  • Retaining on Fleury for a few months, shouldn't be a big deal for Chicago if it is getting the main asset(s) that it wants... for example if team X is offering 2nd+prospect, no retention and Oil are offering a 1st for Fleury with $2M retained for 2 months... Chicago probably still goes with the Oilers offer, just for the first.
  • Oilers would definitely go as far as offering their first... even unprotected for the right goalie
  • Oilers would even add next year's first to get a longer term solution in goal (and or address a different need)
  • Oilers would be very hesitant to offer Holloway, Bourgault or Broberg in any deal. They'd much rather deal a 1st than any of those guys, because they are nearer to the NHL and the team will need cheap replacement players in the next couple years while dealing with cap-hell. So... ask for as many picks as you want, but recognize we need (and value) our NHL-ready prospects more than our picks.
Ideally:
  1. A 1st, 3rd, two months of Koskinen = 2 months of retained Fleury. I think that's more than fair.
  2. A 2nd + B prospect for the best defenseman we can get
  3. Sign Kane for the remainder of this year
And then we still have next year's picks to do it all over again at next year's TDL (because realistically we have only one offseason and limited cap to address these issues in the summer... so we will still be dealing with them next year)

That's my take... plenty is on the table IMO, we need to push assets into the table over the next two years, but we have to be careful with it, as the problems won't be gone next summer unless we are judicious (or lucky).

Reactions: spot

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Smaller deal but Forsberg for a pick? 2023 Conditional 2nd based upon playoff success otherwise its a 3rd.

Cheap goalie cap wise that has a better save percentage then the oilers goalies. In ottawa he has shown the ability to steal a game every now and then. Edmonton's defense is at the very least the same as ottawa's defensively (overall) if not slightly better so his stats in theory should regress.

Also Forsberg is probably the cheapest option cost wise that edmonton can do as the oilers are dealing from a position of weakness imo and this wont cost them their first or a top prospect

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I don't think @bert is an Oiler fan... Vancouver if I'm correct?

In any case... from this Oil fan perspective:
  • Yes, we need to send Koskinen's EXPIRING contract out the door, as we only have $1M in available cap. but it doesn't really need to be in the same deal... it's just easier
  • Independent of salaries, I agree with Bert... Fleury should be a 2nd and B+ prospect, or a 1st on it's own
  • Retaining on Fleury for a few months, shouldn't be a big deal for Chicago if it is getting the main asset(s) that it wants... for example if team X is offering 2nd+prospect, no retention and Oil are offering a 1st for Fleury with $2M retained for 2 months... Chicago probably still goes with the Oilers offer, just for the first.
  • Oilers would definitely go as far as offering their first... even unprotected for the right goalie
  • Oilers would even add next year's first to get a longer term solution in goal (and or address a different need)
  • Oilers would be very hesitant to offer Holloway, Bourgault or Broberg in any deal. They'd much rather deal a 1st than any of those guys, because they are nearer to the NHL and the team will need cheap replacement players in the next couple years while dealing with cap-hell. So... ask for as many picks as you want, but recognize we need (and value) our NHL-ready prospects more than our picks.
Ideally:
  1. A 1st, 3rd, two months of Koskinen = 2 months of retained Fleury. I think that's more than fair.
  2. A 2nd + B prospect for the best defenseman we can get
  3. Sign Kane for the remainder of this year
And then we still have next year's picks to do it all over again at next year's TDL (because realistically we have only one offseason and limited cap to address these issues in the summer... so we will still be dealing with them next year)

That's my take... plenty is on the table IMO, we need to push assets into the table over the next two years, but we have to be careful with it, as the problems won't be gone next summer unless we are judicious (or lucky).
Sens fan, no dog in this fight. Chicago is going to have to take salary back no matter what if they are dealing fleury to a contender.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Smaller deal but Forsberg for a pick? 2023 Conditional 2nd based upon playoff success otherwise its a 3rd.

Cheap goalie cap wise that has a better save percentage then the oilers goalies. In ottawa he has shown the ability to steal a game every now and then. Edmonton's defense is at the very least the same as ottawa's defensively (overall) if not slightly better so his stats in theory should regress.

Also Forsberg is probably the cheapest option cost wise that edmonton can do as the oilers are dealing from a position of weakness imo and this wont cost them their first or a top prospect

It's not a terrible idea, but IMO he's not enough to move the needle... never shown himself to be above average (910 is average) anywhere... never played more than 35 games in a season.

There should be several established backups out there for a similar price. Just need Halak to play 2 more games then he'd be on the table. Khudobin, etc.

I'd rather pay the asking price for Ullmark.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Is Husso an option? He would be a decent option but I’m just assuming the Blues would move him.
2 issues here, at least. maybe 3.
1- Husso is a UFA at the end of the season
2- he's playing well, but SSS, so...
3- Binny has hit a rough patch and STL will need Husso to provide some icetime
4- COVID... while I appreciate what Lindy gave STL for a 5 game stretch, it's just that.. small sample size. and COVID seems to be running thru STL's locker-room like crazy lately
5- with all the above, not sure what the value would be, so if it's not much, why wouldn't STL just hold onto him?

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
It's not a terrible idea, but IMO he's not enough to move the needle... never shown himself to be above average (910 is average) anywhere... never played more than 35 games in a season.

There should be several established backups out there for a similar price. Just need Halak to play 2 more games then he'd be on the table. Khudobin, etc.

I'd rather pay the asking price for Ullmark.

I get that, but with Halak he is currently on the IR (per capfriendly) and not sure how long the oilers can afford to wait, Khudobin has been pretty bad this year and is locked in for another year so i doubt you would want to replace koskinen with another one. Ullmark i dont think becomes available until the offseason at earliest depending on how boston views Swayman's development and if rask indicates early that he is planning on coming back. For arguments sake if Ullmark was available now i doubt boston would accept any cap dumps as the bruins are a playoff team so edmonton would have to expand the deal to a 3 team deal due to Ullmark's cap hit and then pay more to dump cap.

Right now in terms of other cheap options for the oilers there are (Cost and cap hit wise)
Martin Jones
Craig Anderson
Maybe driedger due to his performance this year and the kraken having Daccord (but this would be a risky gamble due to his term)

So i guess it really depends on if the oilers are looking to bandaid a solution or are willing to pay more/pay up to get something more stable now

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton

Neither of those pieces are worth Holloway. Not a chance. How wonderful the money balances. it is still a rip off of the Oilers.

Also, for the umpteenth time Holland said outright he would not deal top picks or prospects for rentals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad