Proposal: Oilers need Defense and a Goalie

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The opportunity cost of using up $4.5 million of pro rated cap space on Koskinen is missing out on signing a $4.5 million rental player. I think most teams except for a few bottom feeders will care a lot.
And even the bottom feeders will extract a high price given the long list of teams trying to dump cap.

The Islanders are a bottom feeder this year unfortunately for them. It's very hard to get back into the race with that kind of start.

You have to take salary back in virtually any kind of NHL transaction above $3 million ... like I'm not sure why NHL fans are still clue less about this stuff or don't really understand expiring contracts and stuff like that. NBA fans know this stuff so much better.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The Islanders are a bottom feeder this year unfortunately for them. It's very hard to get back into the race with that kind of start.

You have to take salary back in virtually any kind of NHL transaction above $3 million ... like I'm not sure why NHL fans are still clue less about this stuff or don't really understand expiring contracts and stuff like that. NBA fans know this stuff so much better.
I think most NHL fans understand expiring contracts quite well and also understand how difficult it is to dump cap in a flat cap world. Fans generally underestimate the value of cap space when making these proposals. Every year we see the same proposals to dump expiring contracts and every year we see so few moved and when they are moved the price is always high.
The NBA isn’t really a good analogy as the rules are significantly different and subject to numerous exceptions which make it less of a hard cap than the NHL.
My last post on this as I’m mostly going in circles now. Let’s wait and see what it costs.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think most NHL fans understand expiring contracts quite well and also understand how difficult it is to dump cap in a flat cap world. Fans generally underestimate the value of cap space when making these proposals. Every year we see the same proposals to dump expiring contracts and every year we see so few moved.

Virtually every big deadline deal has the "seller" taking on some kind of salary or retaining a significant amount.

No one gives a shit about retaining or taking on some salary for like 30 games, the "seller" wants the draft picks/futures, the "taking on some salary for 30 games" part is the cost of doing business.

You don't just unload $5-$7 million in cap, get picks back, and don't expect to ever take any salary back on top of that, that's not realistic.

Now if the contract has TERM, that's a major difference, but if it's an expiring deal, totally different.

Reactions: TFHockey

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
If Marleau was useless what does that make Koskinen? Marleau scored 10 goals in 58 games with San Jose after the trade.
Marleau was grossly overpaid but definitely not useless. I would not be shocked to see Koskinen in Europe next year. There’s just not a market for .900 goalies.

Cap space has significant value and unlike when Marleau was moved, the cap is not projected to rise so it’s value is even higher. Any team in the playoffs could use that $2.5 million cap space to acquire a $4.5 million player who can actually help the team significantly so there will be a limited market for teams willing to take on a pure dump.

I think a second round unprotected pick is a reasonable price based on the current cap environment.
We will see who is right.
San Jose never traded for him. He scored zero goals and played zero games for Carolina(the team that received a 1st from Toronto to bury 6m in cap space).

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Yes. I know that. I was responding to your statement that he was useless, like Koskinen.
He was useless to Carolina. This is why they received a 1st for Toronto to not only have them take they cap hit but also buy him out. You think 40 games at 2.5 million is close to the same?

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
He was useless to Carolina. This is why they received a 1st for Toronto to not only have them take they cap hit but also buy him out. You think 40 games at 2.5 million is close to the same?
No I don’t think it’s close to the same which is why I said a second round pick to take on Koskinen. A first round pick is a much higher price which was the price paid to take on Marleau. Plus when Marleau was traded teams thought the cap was going up and now we know it isn’t so cap space is even more valuable.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
61qk7n.jpg
where does edmonton fit 14 million in cap ?

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
I have a hard time believing anyone would trade for Price “while”:

- He’s still in rehab for his off ice problem still
- Slow progress on his knee rehab
- Hasn’t played a single game this year, while no schedule when he’s even able to play.
- He owns a brutal contract in terms of both cap hit and term.
- His age….

One can’t change his age, the rest can be addressed (retention) and he rehabs (both his knee & off ice problems) and he needs to play successfully a number of games in the NHL and look good. The problem with all this is that the TDL is approaching rapidly and Habs are quickly running out of time this season to trade him. Hard to imagine all these things could happen before the TDL. Maybe a summer trade is possible with significant retention.
Well lets just say if Price gets traded it won't be involved in this crap offer.
price@50% + Petry for ‘23 1st + koskinen + Yams + Lavioe.
Habs will just keep Price instead of retaining 50% for that crap.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Well lets just say if Price gets traded it won't be involved in this crap offer.

This TDL is a moot subject, no trade will happen obviously. I'm waiting to see if Price even plays a game again in his career or is he going into LTIR aka paid retirement.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
No I don’t think it’s close to the same which is why I said a second round pick to take on Koskinen. A first round pick is a much higher price which was the price paid to take on Marleau. Plus when Marleau was traded teams thought the cap was going up and now we know it isn’t so cap space is even more valuable.

I think a conditional 3rd that could move to a 2nd is reasonable.

Goaltenders I'd like to see the Oilers target are Sorokin, Varlamov, Vejmelka, Ullmark, Grubauer, Hart, and MAF. Whether any of these guys are conceivably available or that Holland could actually land is another matter. Am I missing any obvious choices? I purposely excluded guys like Holtby, Allen and Korpisalo as I don't see them as upgrades on what the Oilers have.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
A 2nd round pick is still way too much. If a 6M contract is for a full year, how much do you think a half year or less prorated at 2M less is worth? Bumping a 4th to a 3rd maybe?

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Well you're right about that. Just for the absolute wrong reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad