Proposal: Oilers need Defense and a Goalie

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SpitfireG

Sep 29, 2013
So who has some really good 3-4 guys and are available?

Looking for fans of the Sabres, Senators, Blue Jackets, Flyers, Devils, Islanders. Coyotes, Stars, to come up with some offers we haven't seen yet.

LOL
Do you real think mentionned team that are in mode of rebuild will hurry up to provide you with valuable assets and prospects...

Sniped90

Jul 20, 2010
Sherwood Park
And that is the closer route
Jones's value is a 3 or early 4.
Now what do you want to add for Flyers to take on 3m of that Koskinen blunderous deal.
Its not a 3 to get both.
What are you talking about im talking about just kosk for jones. And its only 2.5m of cap. You need to do research before you start typing tbh.

Sniped90

Jul 20, 2010
Sherwood Park
Risto for 1 top 4 protected in 2022 otherwise 2023
Braun for 2
M Jones (g) for 3

Flyers fans express zero interest in any deals involving Barrie or Kassian.
No one is going to give flyers a 1st for risto at all. All i hear is flyers fans bitch and moan about how bad he is. The only ones that dont are the ones that propose that they try to recover assets lile a 1st to trade him and try to sucker someone in but no one is stupid enough to do so. Risto is at best worth a 3rd just because of him having an expiring contract or trade or amother bad contract of lesser cap hit at maybe 1-2yrs extra. Braun isnt the player he used to be and jones sure hes worth a 3rd. What you seem to not realize is that over half of the teams are close or over the cap and amy money in is going to be money out in majority of deals because really only teams thatll be interested are the ones making the playoffs

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
Josh Manson AND Justin Braun, trade Barrie anywhere for anything. Not that he sucks, but it's a cap league and his role is Bouchard's now.

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
Many seem to forget the very common hockey term of, "building from the net out". Thatcher Demko is not a run of the mill #1 netminder, he's a franchise-type goalie that can steal a playoff series that his team has no business being in. If the Canucks shore up the defense in front of him, Demko should look even better, which should scare opposing teams. On multiple occasions, Jim Rutherford has labelled Demko as a franchise goalie, so it's safe to say he's not going anywhere.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Would Draisaitl play his Vanek style defense elsewhere too or is that just an Edmonton thing? Hard to win with that kind of effort from a leader

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
LOL
Do you real think mentionned team that are in mode of rebuild will hurry up to provide you with valuable assets and prospects...

What a bonehead comment. Teams trade. That is the name of the board.

Further, as it is clear to everyone but yourself apparently, the OILERS aren't the ones looking for prospects. They are obviously in WIN NOW mode. So they are looking for good players, are willing to give up picks and prospects but not for rentals as per their GM.

Try and keep up.

Draisaitl
Koskinen
vs
JT Miller @50% retained
Poolman
Halak
2nd

Gives Oilers lots of cap space sign Kane.

This is a joke, right?

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
honestly id go after chychrun or klingberg(if their willing to take on barrie) now and if you go with klingberg to try and grab holtby. either that or grab varlamov(pick him over maf just because of the extra year) but wouldnt say no to maf or even anderson for just his great playoff exp( i know hes 40 but how great would it be having 2 goalies under 2.2m and win the cup? glorious i tell you, but i know injuries are more common in older players especially goalies) .

I understand hollands logic to the maddness but if rumors are true and he gave oilers 2 years to get their shit together then id be honestly on the phones with every team that has players available whether its to gauge with certain teams what theyd give up to get mcdavid(tbh i wouldnt mind it if we got barzal and sorokin in a deal for mcdavid... i know im crazy but to send mcdavid to a bottom dweller would be kinda funny with him giving a time line).

im fine with it costing us 1sts and or prospects what im not fine with is holland trying to tip toe and not try to go all in when he knows our goaltending is absolute shit.

If the Oilers make a trade with Arizona and go after Chychrun they'd have to move Barrie and Koskinen and also land Vejmelka. That would cost a ton. So the rumor online was Holland offering a 1st, Samourkov and Barrie for Chychrun, and the Yotes countered with a 1st, Broberg and Barrie.

I'd be willing to move a 1st, Broberg, Barrie plus another top asset if it meant dealing Kosk and getting Vejmelka.

Sniped90

Jul 20, 2010
Sherwood Park
If the Oilers make a trade with Arizona and go after Chychrun they'd have to move Barrie and Koskinen and also land Vejmelka. That would cost a ton. So the rumor online was Holland offering a 1st, Samourkov and Barrie for Chychrun, and the Yotes countered with a 1st, Broberg and Barrie.

I'd be willing to move a 1st, Broberg, Barrie plus another top asset if it meant dealing Kosk and getting Vejmelka.
Id honestly just offer another pick instead of adding broberg unless they added crouse and we added turris

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Id honestly just offer another pick instead of adding broberg unless they added crouse and we added turris

Like two 1sts, Barrie, Kosk for Chychrun and Vejmelka? Might have to add from the Oilers side a little, depending on how they value their rookie goalie

Sniped90

Jul 20, 2010
Sherwood Park
Honestly i dont see
Like two 1sts, Barrie, Kosk for Chychrun and Vejmelka? Might have to add from the Oilers side a little, depending on how they value their rookie goalie
i honestly dont aee vejmelka being the answer the oilers need for in net. Me personally they need to fix the d which is more important because its not just the d zone they have to worry about its the o zone as well amd if you have shitty d then i dont see them succeeding. And having chychrun is cost controlled for 3yrs and i swear to god as much as i like keith as a vet dman i hope he retires after this season to do oilers a favor cap wise. Theres to many available goalies to just go after someone so inexperienced especially with how fragile in net the oilers are

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Like the title says, the Oilers need Defense and a Goalie.

For my money they need two good mid pairing guys (3-4), LHD and RHD.

They also need a 1A starter (or something close) if they are going to salvage the season.

Two guys who should be moved because of contract and status are Barrie and Koskinen. They should be included in any deals.

So who has some really good 3-4 guys and are available? What is the asking price?

Looking for fans of the Sabres, Senators, Blue Jackets, Flyers, Devils, Islanders. Coyotes, Stars, to come up with some offers we haven't seen yet.

All of the Oilers picks are on the table, so are top prospects for the right player.
They don't need two mid pairing guys. They need one mid pairing guy, and either a 1RD or a 3RD. Ceci has been great on the 2nd pair, I wouldn't screw with that. The real issue is too many puck movers and not enough shut down guys. They need to be able to run something like one of these two setups, with Russell as the #7.

Nurse - Bouchard
??? - Ceci
Keith - ???

OR

Nurse - ???
??? - Ceci
Keith - Bouchard

We aren't getting a #1RD, so we may as well focus on finding what we need to round out the first option - a 2LD who can play shutdown hockey, and a 3RD who can do the same.

Seattle fans were trying to sell me on Jeremy Lauzon as a 3RD. I haven't watched him a lot, but I like his physicality. He could be an option, especially with Keith as his veteran D partner. If we can get him for a reasonable price (Lagesson and a mid round pick?), then we can move on to finding that 2LD. I don't even see that happening to be honest, I don't see any 2LD's that aren't rentals available, and Holland likely isn't buying a rental to fill this problem, so we're likely stuck with Keith as 2LD, but we can hopefully at least pick up a 3LD to get Koekoek out of the lineup and hold down the fort until our kids are more ready. I don't know who that is off the top of my head.

As for a starting goalie, its all Holland's stubborness I believe. He could attach our 1st to Koskinen and get some conversations going on a few interesting goalies, but I think he's still stuck on not wanting to pay more than bargain bin prices unless its a superstar coming back. The only star goalie he's ever really acquired is Hasek if I remember correctly, and that was while Hasek as wanting a cup, and fighting some injuries. Ken Holland is an awful GM when it comes to goalies.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Honestly i dont see
i honestly dont aee vejmelka being the answer the oilers need for in net. Me personally they need to fix the d which is more important because its not just the d zone they have to worry about its the o zone as well amd if you have shitty d then i dont see them succeeding. And having chychrun is cost controlled for 3yrs and i swear to god as much as i like keith as a vet dman i hope he retires after this season to do oilers a favor cap wise. Theres to many available goalies to just go after someone so inexperienced especially with how fragile in net the oilers are

I like Vejmelka but you might be right. Lots of question marks around him still.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Review Oilers case.
Oilers funs you can tell bye-bye to playoff this season.

The team was good only during first 20 games, the period that is usally needed to teams to build a group at start of the season.

With current roster, injuries and oilers schedule there is no options for playoff even with some new name due to minor trades. Major trades are not realistic - no cap space and valuable assets for.
When you play vs Eastern conference is near no chances.
Canucs with Boudreau will over Oilers in final standing.

Key Challanges:
- Nurse is hardly overpaid, not elite Def
- 2nd def pair is amful
- cap space issue
- to get a goalie is real after the season via trade
- Edmonton isn't prefer destination for free agents

In couple seasons McDavid and Draisatl come up to ask for trade. Simultanely.

Welcome new GM.
Neither will ask for a trade publicly. They will just let Edmonton's GM know that they aren't interested in signing extensions.

Reactions: TFHockey

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
They don't need two mid pairing guys. They need one mid pairing guy, and either a 1RD or a 3RD. Ceci has been great on the 2nd pair, I wouldn't screw with that. The real issue is too many puck movers and not enough shut down guys. They need to be able to run something like one of these two setups, with Russell as the #7.

Nurse - Bouchard
??? - Ceci
Keith - ???

OR

Nurse - ???
??? - Ceci
Keith - Bouchard

We aren't getting a #1RD, so we may as well focus on finding what we need to round out the first option - a 2LD who can play shutdown hockey, and a 3RD who can do the same.

Seattle fans were trying to sell me on Jeremy Lauzon as a 3RD. I haven't watched him a lot, but I like his physicality. He could be an option, especially with Keith as his veteran D partner. If we can get him for a reasonable price (Lagesson and a mid round pick?), then we can move on to finding that 2LD. I don't even see that happening to be honest, I don't see any 2LD's that aren't rentals available, and Holland likely isn't buying a rental to fill this problem, so we're likely stuck with Keith as 2LD, but we can hopefully at least pick up a 3LD to get Koekoek out of the lineup and hold down the fort until our kids are more ready. I don't know who that is off the top of my head.

As for a starting goalie, its all Holland's stubborness I believe. He could attach our 1st to Koskinen and get some conversations going on a few interesting goalies, but I think he's still stuck on not wanting to pay more than bargain bin prices unless its a superstar coming back. The only star goalie he's ever really acquired is Hasek if I remember correctly, and that was while Hasek as wanting a cup, and fighting some injuries. Ken Holland is an awful GM when it comes to goalies.

I think we are splitting hairs here. You are okay with playing Ceci in the 2nd pairing and I'd rather have him in the bottom pairing. Keith seems to compliment him pretty well, so playing them both in the bottom pair suggest two things:

That we can afford just under $9 Million in our 5-6 pairing and the 2nd pairing guys are better than both Keith and Ceci. That is a tall order I know.

If Holland grabbed Chychrun and Zub for the 3-4 positions we'd have it made in the shade. I don't think he can.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I think we are splitting hairs here. You are okay with playing Ceci in the 2nd pairing and I'd rather have him in the bottom pairing. Keith seems to compliment him pretty well, so playing them both in the bottom pair suggest two things:

That we can afford just under $9 Million in our 5-6 pairing and the 2nd pairing guys are better than both Keith and Ceci. That is a tall order I know.

If Holland grabbed Chychrun and Zub for the 3-4 positions we'd have it made in the shade. I don't think he can.
I think the hairs are important though, as trading for two competent 2nd pair defensemen will cost a lot more than trading for two competent 3rd pair defensemen. I actually don't see Keith and Ceci as the issue. The problem has been that 3rd pair more than anything. Koekoek and Barrie werent' working well together, and I hate the Lagesson - Bouchard pairing as I think both need veterans by them to help fill in the areas where each guy needs to grow. A Habs fan proposed Barrie for Savard with retention, and I'd consider that even though Savard isn't what he used to be. I also noticed that NJ fans are talking about Severson being available, and I've always been a fan of his, but it again comes down to how to afford to both bring those types of guys in, and fit them under the cap.

Reactions: TFHockey

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I'd like to hear a compelling reason why anyone thinks the Coyotes would trade 25YO Vejmelka, a promising upcoming RFA being paid $842k, for 33YO Koskinen, an upcoming UFA making $4.5M. Vejmelka's simply more valuable to the Coyotes than the trade market will return, given his work to date.

Reactions: Nowotny

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
Try watching hockey . I will help . 2 pairing D aren't stars . Sure they are needed and help a team win but they aren't stars
OK fine, stars was the wrong word. We want your usable players for garbage. Happy?

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
What's going on with Hamonic? Could be a low cost fit.
Also, not a long term solution, but what about Holtby as a low cost target. I don't the oilers have the space or assets to go big game hunting, but maybe some fresh Veteran blood with a new voice will help change things.

OnTheBrink

Apr 19, 2013
Airdrie
Time to go all in, if can’t get it done in next couple years recoup futures trading Drai and/or McDavid….

Chychurn + Crouse for ‘22 1st + Broberg + Barrie + 2nd + Lagesson

price@50% + Petry for ‘23 1st + koskinen + Yams + Lavioe

LTIRetire Smith

sign E Kane

E Kane - McDavid - Puljujarvi
Hyman - Drai - Foegele
Crouse - Nuge - McLeod
Shore - Ryan - Kassian

Nurse - Petry
Chychurn - Ceci
Keith - Bouchard

Price
Skinner

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Time to go all in, if can’t get it done in next couple years recoup futures trading Drai and/or McDavid….

Chychurn + Crouse for ‘22 1st + Broberg + Barrie + 2nd + Lagesson

price@50% + Petry for ‘23 1st + koskinen + Yams + Lavioe

LTIRetire Smith

sign E Kane

E Kane - McDavid - Puljujarvi
Hyman - Drai - Foegele
Crouse - Nuge - McLeod
Shore - Ryan - Kassian

Nurse - Petry
Chychurn - Ceci
Keith - Bouchard

Price
Skinner

rumor price for Chychrun is three first round equivalent, so although I think it would be overpayment sounds like Broberg + 1st would not cut it. The rest does not get your Crouse. Even if you disagree with what Chychrun will get putting both together seems like too little going to Arizona.

That's a lot of retention for Montreal to absorb for a first, especially when they need to take Koskinen back.

Reactions: Nowotny

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad