Value of: Oilers need a Goalie

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Well I know it’s been said 1000x.

Carey price is the Goalie that’s make the oilers serious Stanley cup pretendant.

we can retain 2m$ and take a bad contract
The issue is finding the retention that works. $2M isn't enough on Price, he's still overpaid for what he can bring at that amount. So if they can figure out how much it would take in retention for Edmonton to be interested, and balance that with how much Montreal can retain and what that might cost, it could make sense. But finding that middle ground is difficult and is likely the reason Price to Edmonton won't happen. Edmonton doesn't want an aging $8M goalie. Montreal doesn't want to eat 50% of Price's cap hit for him to play somewhere else. I could definitely see Holland interested, but figuring out how much retention works for both sides is key. Koskinen would also need to be a part of the deal for cap reasons, and whatever salary Edmonton brings in basically has to cost nothing more than what we have on the books right now.

For example:

If Price has 4M retention, that would be 6.5M cap hit coming in, Edmonton would need to find 6.5M in cap hit to send out. So something around Koskinen and Barrie (9M total) and futures for Price (6.5M) and Chairot (2.5M) would work, but figuring out what the difference in futures is worth is a major issue. Montreal fans will want multiple firsts due to including Chairot and retaining 5M for this year and 4M for the rest of Price's contract. Edmonton shouldn't blow the bank on a gamble for Price.

Last edited:

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Rangers have enough good players they can shed salary elsewhere if they need to. Or trade his rights around the draft. They are not in much of a bind with Geo.

oilers have limited options and one of them is they can always try a no name if they’d like. The rangers did that vs the Avs a few weeks ago. Was about like putting two pylons in front of the net. Rangers got demolished at home in that game.

Ranger fans are the ones that are making noise about not signing Georgeiv. So your argument doesn't hold water with NYR specifically.

Dallas has three goalies still. The had to bury Khudobin.

Maybe the Ducks are looking to make a deal? They've lost four in a row, have played two more games than the Oilers and are only three points up.

Maybe the Kraken want to deal? They're pretty much done this year.

You see my point.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Ranger fans are the ones that are making noise about not signing Georgeiv. So your argument doesn't hold water with NYR specifically.

Dallas has three goalies still. The had to bury Khudobin.

Maybe the Ducks are looking to make a deal? They've lost four in a row, have played two more games than the Oilers and are only three points up.

Maybe the Kraken want to deal? They're pretty much done this year.

You see my point.
Rangers can deal Geo any time into this summer. They are in no rush. Not like the Oil would be.

I’m sure Khodobin is available. He’d be cheap. I bet Grubs would also be cheap to acquire but you won’t have the cap space.

Gibson will cost Holloway, Broberg and a 1st so that’s not realistic. He’d be, by far, the most costly to acquire.

MAF should be available and also expensive to acquire.

you see my point. You can address goalie. It will be expensive to do so. Or you’ll get a Khodobin type.

Reactions: bernmeister

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
I'd imagine they could pry Quick from LA, has this year and next year as cap hit, Edmonton doesn't have to commit to him long term and probably would be fairly cheap to acquire him. Definitely an upgrade over Kosk and Smith, but I could be biased as I always have had a soft spot for Quick, love his style of play in net.

Don't think LA would mind trading him after signing Petersen to a 3 year bridge.
the way LA are trending i don't see quick being moved

north49er

Dec 20, 2017
They have. Stuart Skinner is almost ready, and has shown signs of NHL starter potential. We don't know if that potential will be realized, but we know he isn't quite there yet, so he is back in the AHL getting games in there and working on a few things. My guess is that he would be considered a good #2 for us next year if our #1 was a legitimate #1.
They haven't drafted a starting goalie since 2004....Devan Dubnyk. Drafting potential backup goalies unfortunately won't do it. Interesting that one of the best goalie prospects available in 2021 (second goalie taken in round one) was taken by Minnesota on a pick they got in a trade from.....Edmonton.

Last edited:

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Rangers can deal Geo any time into this summer. They are in no rush. Not like the Oil would be.

I’m sure Khodobin is available. He’d be cheap. I bet Grubs would also be cheap to acquire but you won’t have the cap space.

Gibson will cost Holloway, Broberg and a 1st so that’s not realistic. He’d be, by far, the most costly to acquire.

you see my point. You can address goalie. It will be expensive to do so. Or you’ll get a Khodobin type.

It seems like every time any player is discussed it always requires an overpay to get him. I've been on this site for years and I think I can count on one hand the number of times posters actually got a trade right.

I think we can agree that Gibson would cost the most to get. He'd also be the best option in my opinion. I like Gibson. Can Holland land him? Probably not.

I think the next tier includes guys like MAF who'd be a good short term fix for the Oilers. I am guessing a 1st + Kosk for MAF @ 50% but really I don't know. Chicago owes Holland for that garbage Keith trade so I hope for less.

Grubauer is on the next tier, signed long term and is having a brutal year in Seattle. 3.30 GAA and a .882 Sv%. Ouch. Still, maybe if he Oilers grabbed him and Carson Soucy they could claim to have improved things on the back end. Heck getting Gio at 50% for the rest of the season might help a lot too. Actually, there are a few guys from Seattle I'd like to see swapped out in Edmonton.

Khudobin is also pretty cheap to acquire. Buried in the minors. Is he better than Koskinen? Maybe?

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Holland actually tried to get two goaltenders this off season that we know of. The fact that he couldn't land one is an indictment of his abilities as a GM.

Overall Oiler fans would agree with you. What that "sure thing" is can be debated. Georgeiv isn't a sure thing, for example.

I realize some people on here revel in the idea of Edmonton getting fleeced in a deal for a mediocre goaltender. Or any deal, really.

The one truth on these boards is this: Almost no one actually has any idea what the price and value are of any given player in the NHL.
oilers fans should just chill . a little adversity will make them better . a decent goalie at a decent price will shake loose

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
They haven't drafted a starting goalie since 2004....Devan Dubnyk. Drafting potential backup goalies unfortunately won't do it. Interesting that one of the best goalie prospects available in 2021 (second goalie taken in round one) was taken by Minnesota on a pick they got in a trade from.....Edmonton.
A lot of Oiler fans don't like that we passed on Wallstedt either, but let's not forget that he dropped significantly. That means the Oilers weren't the only team to pass on him for whatever reason. We traded down with Minnesota because Holland doesn't seem to like taking goalies in the first round. We got a good forward prospect at the draft anyway, so I'm fine with that, as that's also an area of weakness in the organization. The fact is that Wallstedt probably isn't going to be an NHL starting goalie for at least 3 years, and the forward we took could be an NHL'er next year. So in that sense, the trade and passing on the goalie makes some sense. Even if we drafted him, it doesn't help us today, and that's where our big goalie issue is. The Oilers haven't prioritized drafting a goalie for years. It's been an error in judgement I believe, but if you look at Holland's history, he doesn't tend to use early picks on goalies. I can understand that I guess, goalie prospects are pretty unpredictable. Regardless, we have a very good goalie prospect right now in the AHL. We aren't sure if he will be a starter or a backup, but he has shown signs that he still has starter upside.

Even our "nearly ready" goalie prospect was a mid round pick, so who knows.

To me, this entire issue comes back to the 2016 draft. I was certain the Oilers would draft Carter Hart with the #32 pick. We drafted Tyler Benson instead. I don't hate Benson by any means, but he seen as was boom-bust even in 2016 due to his injuries, so why not use that pick on a goalie if you are worried about a prospect busting. I was, and still am, disappointed that we didn't get Carter Hart in 2016.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
oilers fans should just chill . a little adversity will make them better . a decent goalie at a decent price will shake loose
This is true. Great teams always have to face some adversity. Giving the Oilers some humble pie doesn't hurt. I'm more concerned with Tippett's system than with our goalie's being inconsistent.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Edmonton should stop trying with unproved goalies. Go for a sure thing and pay the price even if it means dealing a 1st or one of your good prospects. Stop wasting Drai and McD’s time ffs.
That lies the issue with a smaller market team. Alot of this is due to ownership. Making that splash now will hurt immensely in 4 or 5 years . They just don't see the advantage now. I agree 100 percent with you, play to win now and worry about 2026 in 2026...

Reactions: Benstheman

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Ullmark. Ullmark. Ullmark. Ullmark.
So what's the deal with Ullmark? Boston surely didn't sign him with the intention of flipping him a few months into the deal, especially with a NTC and on a 4 year deal. His save% isn't awful, but his GAA is significantly lower than Swayman. Has he been worse than his numbers show? Has he been so bad that bringing back Rask is actually going to happen?

And the biggest question - if he is on the market, what are the terms on his NMC, and would he waive it for Edmonton? Is it a full NMC? I would imagine Edmonton is on that list of "no move" teams, no?

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB

I'm not certain that MAF would be too expensive to acquire. He's in the last year of a deal on a team that is not contending at all. Options for the Blackhawks are to keep in a lost season or trade him for any asset.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
So what's the deal with Ullmark? Boston surely didn't sign him with the intention of flipping him a few months into the deal, especially with a NTC and on a 4 year deal. His save% isn't awful, but his GAA is significantly lower than Swayman. Has he been worse than his numbers show? Has he been so bad that bringing back Rask is actually going to happen?

And the biggest question - if he is on the market, what are the terms on his NMC, and would he waive it for Edmonton? Is it a full NMC? I would imagine Edmonton is on that list of "no move" teams, no?
Typical Donnie Sweeney, he has all Bruins fans confused if Rask was coming back why does he sign a guy for 20 mil he makes no sense . He also traded Vladar when he could have held onto him until they were sure if Rask was going to pan out and use the cap money too address other areas.................he is pathetic .

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006

He's played well, so has Swayman.

I think everyone anticipated Rask coming back and the NMC was to allow him to pick where he wanted to go, or stay if Rask is washed.

What Sweeney anticipated, I think, is that the UFA goalie crop this offseason is atrocious. So if Boston hadn't made the move on Ullmark, and the other options didn't work out, they'd be in the same position as Edmonton right now.

The UFA list for the offseason is:
Kuemper
Campbell
Korpisalo
Holtby
Fleury (fair chance he retires)
Rittich
Martin Jones (lol)

And teams that need a legit starter are:
Colorado
Toronto
Ottawa
Chicago
Edmonton
Arizona
Pittsburg (if Jarry flops in the playoffs again)

Assuming Kuemper and Campbell re-sign, you're fighting for scraps or guys who are washed up. Or you have to make a trade.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
He's played well, so has Swayman.

I think everyone anticipated Rask coming back and the NMC was to allow him to pick where he wanted to go, or stay if Rask is washed.

What Sweeney anticipated, I think, is that the UFA goalie crop this offseason is atrocious. So if Boston hadn't made the move on Ullmark, and the other options didn't work out, they'd be in the same position as Edmonton right now.

The UFA list for the offseason is:
Kuemper
Campbell
Korpisalo
Holtby
Fleury (fair chance he retires)
Rittich
Martin Jones (lol)

And teams that need a legit starter are:
Colorado
Toronto
Ottawa
Chicago
Edmonton
Arizona
Pittsburg (if Jarry flops in the playoffs again)

Assuming Kuemper and Campbell re-sign, you're fighting for scraps or guys who are washed up. Or you have to make a trade.

You know, I've tried to give Holland the benefit of the doubt since he arrived in Edmonton, but one of my biggest concerns was the fact that he could never seem to find a decent starting goalie to play in Detroit. He just kind of hitched his wagon to Jimmy Howard and hoped for the best, but the best wasn't good. He's having similar issues in Edmonton, but doesn't even have a Jimmy Howard there. He's just stuck with one inconsistent overpaid guy, and an old guy who played amazing last year but may never even play again because he's 40 years old.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
You know, I've tried to give Holland the benefit of the doubt since he arrived in Edmonton, but one of my biggest concerns was the fact that he could never seem to find a decent starting goalie to play in Detroit. He just kind of hitched his wagon to Jimmy Howard and hoped for the best, but the best wasn't good. He's having similar issues in Edmonton, but doesn't even have a Jimmy Howard there. He's just stuck with one inconsistent overpaid guy, and an old guy who played amazing last year but may never even play again because he's 40 years old.

Yeah, bit of a pattern starting to emerge. I imagine him and Tippett aren't on the same page. Tippett had some pretty good success with Turco, Bryzgalov and a young Mike Smith.

Koskinen putting up 0.900 seasons isn't going to win anywhere.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Yeah, bit of a pattern starting to emerge. I imagine him and Tippett aren't on the same page. Tippett had some pretty good success with Turco, Bryzgalov and a young Mike Smith.

Koskinen putting up 0.900 seasons isn't going to win anywhere.
If Oiler fans had their way, both Tippett and Holland would be given the boot, ha ha.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
The starting job, by default. Seems like Swayman is likely the guy moving forward in Boston. If Rask is actually coming back, could Ullmark be press boxed? That's got to be great for a guy's self esteem.

Makes no difference to his bank account though. Without knowing Ullmark personally I dare to suggest that he might be in a fortunate enough position to not to have the urge to sacrifice much just for more starts.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Is there any chance what so ever that Poolparty could be available ?
Something around the Devils taking on Koskinen plus possibly another dump and Poolparty for a LHD ?
I’d even consider moving Blackwood but he is struggling through a foot injury and hasn’t looked great this year.
I was hoping that the Devils could help the Oilers make room for a goalie plus pick up a serviceable LHD on top of it. However I’m guessing moving JP woild be one of the last things the Oilers would want to do.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Makes no difference to his bank account though. Without knowing Ullmark personally I dare to suggest that he might be in a fortunate enough position to not to have the urge to sacrifice much just for more starts.
Yeah, that all comes down to whether he is the kind of player who is happy to sit on his contract and collect cash, or if he is the type of player that wants to play every game and wants to win and be a key part of the team, etc. I don't know him either obviously. But if he's the kind of goalie who wants to play and show he can be the go-to guy, and is thinking about what his contract 5 years from now looks like, he might be fine going to a team where he willb e the clear starter. Still, with Edmonton's history of being a goalie graveyard, I could see him having no interest as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad