Value of: Oilers need a Goalie

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Is there any chance what so ever that Poolparty could be available ?
Something around the Devils taking on Koskinen plus possibly another dump and Poolparty for a LHD ?
I’d even consider moving Blackwood but he is struggling through a foot injury and hasn’t looked great this year.
I was hoping that the Devils could help the Oilers make room for a goalie plus pick up a serviceable LHD on top of it. However I’m guessing moving JP woild be one of the last things the Oilers would want to do.
Probably not. We need more scoring wingers, not less.

I think for Pulujarvi to be traded, it would need to be for a better LHD than I think New Jersey would want to trade. Even with Koskinen and a dump included. Plus, any deal for Koskinen would need to include a goalie back, because after Koskinen, we have minor league guys and injured Mike Smith. It isn't as simple as just dumping Koskinen, as you realize. The cap space would be nice, but we can't move Pulujarvi in a deal that just brings us cap space.

Sniped90

Jul 20, 2010
Sherwood Park
Hard to see why Ullmark would want to go to Edmonton at this point when he's set in Boston very comfortably until 2025.
Im not sure but as far as i heard they where bringing rask back and ullmark doesnt want to be back up not only that swayman is supposedly going to be mentored by rask. Idk my opinion bruins should just leave rask and ride out ullmark and sway. But as an oiler fan i wouldnt say no to ullmark

Mike Dukarm

Aug 3, 2018
Montreal
Oilers need a goalie since... i cant remember...

Oilers need a real no 1 goalie... not a maybe 1.

Habs could offer you Allen, but he is a maybe...

MAF is the goaler to get for this year and they need a def too

CAUFIELD

Oct 16, 2015
Feels like Jake Allen would be more attractive with his cap hit. Wouldn't a Jake Allen + Ben Chiarot trade for Koskinen + 1st round pick in 2022 and 3nd round pick in 2023 makes sense ?
I think Chariot Value is a late 1st+3rd (50% retained)

Allen value is probably a 2nd. So you’ll have to add to make it work

Reactions: Mike Dukarm

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Im not sure but as far as i heard they where bringing rask back and ullmark doesnt want to be back up not only that swayman is supposedly going to be mentored by rask. Idk my opinion bruins should just leave rask and ride out ullmark and sway. But as an oiler fan i wouldnt say no to ullmark
I personally hope they move Ullmark, and actually get something worthwhile. I'm worried that once he's relegated to 3rd string goalie, puts Sweeney in a bad negotiating spot, so I'd like to be proactive.

I wasn't a huge fan of the signing due to the circumstances, but it gives the Bruins something else they need, I'd be all for it.

Bruins have a rough schedule next few weeks/month, so I can easily Sweeney being conservative and fighting to get into the playoffs to keep his job... likely riding 3 goalies, or at least until they are confident Rask / Swayman are able to at least handle the 1a/1b situation.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Probably not. We need more scoring wingers, not less.

I think for Pulujarvi to be traded, it would need to be for a better LHD than I think New Jersey would want to trade. Even with Koskinen and a dump included. Plus, any deal for Koskinen would need to include a goalie back, because after Koskinen, we have minor league guys and injured Mike Smith. It isn't as simple as just dumping Koskinen, as you realize. The cap space would be nice, but we can't move Pulujarvi in a deal that just brings us cap space.
Ty Smith move the needle at all?
Smith plus say Foote for a salary dump and Poolparty ?
Gives Edmonton a young cost controlled LHD and gives some cap relief to go after a goalie? Foote is not NHL ready but was a former 1st round pick . Good size amd a NHL level shot.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
They need to find a way to get Fleury.
His personality, and skill is something that could honestly light a huge fire on the team.
The guy would fit in perfectly

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
Let's be honest here, the Oilers need more than just a goalie to compete.
They need 2-3 guys to slot in the bottom 6 + a top 4D (and Bouchard to be what he will be in 2-3 years on the RS) + a starting goalie to have any hopes to make the playoff/go past 1 round.

Skinner is on the way up, but tough to say if he's 1 or 2 years out.
Considering this, going with Price for 5 years doesn't make much sense.
Allen on the other hand in a tandem with Smith/Skinner could be a decent upgrade on Koskinen at a relatively low AAV and a time frame that better fits Skinner's progression.
Key point here, to include 1st rd picks/equivalent prospects, me thinks the Oilers need to go for a multi-year solution, not just 1 run like with MAF. Skinner isn't going to be able to handle 60 games in 22/23.

I'd go:

Oilers:
Chiarot (1YL) - UFA - $3.5M - 50% ret - 1.75M AAV for the Oilers
Allen (2YL) - UFA - $2.875M
CAR 2022 3rd pick - Could be conditional, say only flipped if EDM doesn't make the playoffs

Habs:
Koskinen (1YL) - UFA - $4.5M
2022 1st rd pick - Top 10 protected
Bourgault

I don't think EDM moves either of Broberg / Bouchard on D, since there's no one else worth anything in their D prospect pool. Same thing at forward with Holloway.

I wonder if they flip Harris for Samorukov in addition to that. Considering Harris may not want to sign in Mtl and Samorukov may need a fresh start elsewhere.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
You are absolutely wrong regarding Kings goaltending situation.
Quick is starter for Kings and they are fighting for playoff.
Petersen is playing just a little better than average this year.
If Kings will be trading one goalie it will be Petersen.

Is that due to Petersen playing average this year compared to last year? Just wonder what LA thought process was bridging him for 3 years at 5m? Was he expected to pass over Quick?

ill be first to say I don't watch kings games, just in the pass there was lots of complaints about quick.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
They need 2-3 guys to slot in the bottom 6 + a top 4D (and Bouchard to be what he will be in 2-3 years on the RS) + a starting goalie to have any hopes to make the playoff/go past 1 round.

Allen on the other hand in a tandem with Smith/Skinner could be a decent upgrade on Koskinen at a relatively low AAV and a time frame that better fits Skinner's progression.
Key point here, to include 1st rd picks/equivalent prospects, me thinks the Oilers need to go for a multi-year solution, not just 1 run like with MAF. Skinner isn't going to be able to handle 60 games in 22/23.

I'd go:

Oilers:
CAR 2022 3rd pick - Could be conditional, say only flipped if EDM doesn't make the playoffs

Habs:
Bourgault

I don't think EDM moves either of Broberg / Bouchard on D, since there's no one else worth anything in their D prospect pool. Same thing at forward with Holloway.

I wonder if they flip Harris for Samorukov in addition to that. Considering Harris may not want to sign in Mtl and Samorukov may need a fresh start elsewhere.

A 1st AND Bourgault? That is just downright greedy. Easy pass.

QuadDeuces

Jul 16, 2006
Salt Lake City
He seems pretty temperamental too. Don’t know if that’s a great fit. Not to bang the Georgiev drum too much but the sense in NY is that he considers himself a starter and bristles at being relegated to backing up. A guy with a chip on his shoulder and something to prove could work out well for Edmonton. As opposed to a more established guy who maybe doesn’t want to be there, like Ullmark.
Georgiev is awful and would be a downgrade from Koskinen/Smith/Skinner. The only person who thinks that Georgiev is a starter is Georgiev.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
The best goalies in this league are mostly drafted by the team they currently play for. The Oilers best bet would be to target a team's top goalie prospect somewhere. There are no goalies out there who are going to help this Edmonton team "win now."

Last edited:
Reactions: north49er

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

I'd go:

Oilers:

Habs:
Bourgault

Bourgault isn't available. Not as a throw in prospect. I'd do Lavoie, but certainly not Bourgault.

I think you're more than a bit off the mark by suggesting that there is nothing worth anything in the D prospect pool after Broberg and Bouchard, and after Holloway at forward.

Sniped90

Jul 20, 2010
Sherwood Park

I'd go:

Oilers:

Habs:
Bourgault

Hell no. Not giving 2 1sts for a rental and allen. Sure allen is good but not at that price. And ben is only effective in the playoffs because the rule book goes out the window.
If mtl takes kosk, 1st, 3rd for ben and allen sure no thanks otherwise

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
Is that due to Petersen playing average this year compared to last year? Just wonder what LA thought process was bridging him for 3 years at 5m? Was he expected to pass over Quick?

ill be first to say I don't watch kings games, just in the pass there was lots of complaints about quick.

Yes, Petersen is playing average this year compared to last year.
Yes, Petersen was expected to pass over Quick and it is not happening.
Quick is playing like his vintage version and Petersen is playing just a little better than average this year.
In my view Quick is MVP of the team now…

Reactions: Guitpik and JKG33

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
There is nothing great out there. Oilers just need to luck out and have a goalie like Wallstedt fall to them in draft for a long term fix.
oh wait!

Reactions: kinghock

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
Bourgault isn't available. Not as a throw in prospect. I'd do Lavoie, but certainly not Bourgault.

I think you're more than a bit off the mark by suggesting that there is nothing worth anything in the D prospect pool after Broberg and Bouchard, and after Holloway at forward.

Lavoie likely doesn't move the needle.

Chiarot is touted to be going for a 1st + small add (Savard wasn't as high on the TDL board last year and got a 1st + a 3rd. Actually a 4th rd pick was also part of the package to get the double retention.)

So if Chiarot is seen as returning more than Savard (1, 3, & 4th), we're probably looking at 1 + late 2nd.
Considering Mtl takes a 4.5M salary dump back + send over Allen for 2 years, that's likely the bridge there between 1+2nd for 1+1 (value wise).

Two late firsts in terms of value makes sense. (that's why i threw the conditional 3 just in case.)

Reactions: McJedi

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Lavoie likely doesn't move the needle.

Chiarot is touted to be going for a 1st + small add (Savard wasn't as high on the TDL board last year and got a 1st + a 3rd. Actually a 4th rd pick was also part of the package to get the double retention.)

So if Chiarot is seen as returning more than Savard (1, 3, & 4th), we're probably looking at 1 + late 2nd.
Considering Mtl takes a 4.5M salary dump back + send over Allen for 2 years, that's likely the bridge there between 1+2nd for 1+1 (value wise).

Two late firsts in terms of value makes sense. (that's why i threw the conditional 3 just in case.)
I still don't think Chiarot goes for a first, so if that's the price for him I pass.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I can't see Ullmark or Fleury being valid options.

If I'm Fleury, I'm holding out for a situation like Pittsburgh/Washington/Colorado, or another contender that'd have a goalie injury.

If I'm Ullmark, I'm OK riding out the year in Boston as a 1B to Rask, and reevaluate in the offseason. If Rask retires Ullmark can stay, and if Rask re-signs there will be better places for Ullmark than Edmonton.

I can't see LA or Anaheim giving up on their seasons by moving a starter either.

Edmonton's best options are probably Korpisalo, Khudobin, Greiss, Halak, Georgiev or Driedger... none of which seem all that enticing.

Reactions: kinghock

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
They need a leader...McTankvid isn't getting it done. They should offer whatever they need to acquire Toews from the Blackhawks.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I think it's gonna be ullmark. Doesn't make much sense for Holland to overpay for a geogiev type if ullmark is around for the taking.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011

I'd go:

Oilers:

Habs:
Bourgault

They have some promising own prospects and products, wich how you build a team, so in bottom 6, they maybe, just maybe needs one more good forward. Benson MacLeod Marody has to be tried first, before giving up.

On defense, yes. Its not just one goalie needed, one more LD (now when Lagesson is flushed by Tippet).
But theybdont need 3 defensemen. They probably neess just one good LD, that would cut off bad vibes in the D, that also makes the goalie better. I wont say 4K is thw reason for oilers struggling, but he is not the 3rs pair anchor they need, that backs up Barries bad defense.

Borgault should not be traded, i would trade broberg before him.
If they trade him, they should take a kings ransom because hes a given yop6 NHLer.
You dont throwing out that from the window, and def. Not adding a 1st to that, for one good D, an Okish Goalie, and a 3rd(!). You are very colored by your team.
Oilers would lose so much future on that trade.

Very bad proposal.

I would look for Kubalik, Namestnikov on bottom 6, or another find.
Ullmark on Goal.
And a good skating defensive reliable LD. I would dangle Barrie and Kassian, and MAYBE Yamamoto if there was a good return. But Yam has a fantastic contract, and is a good penalty drawer.

Last edited:

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Ty Smith move the needle at all?
Smith plus say Foote for a salary dump and Poolparty ?
Gives Edmonton a young cost controlled LHD and gives some cap relief to go after a goalie? Foote is not NHL ready but was a former 1st round pick . Good size amd a NHL level shot.
Naw, I think I'd pass on that. I don't mind the guys involved, but Pulujarvi is possibly our most important winger moving forward.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I think it's gonna be ullmark. Doesn't make much sense for Holland to overpay for a geogiev type if ullmark is around for the taking.
I think the only potential issue here is the NMC. If Ullmark would rather go be the #1 in Edmonton than the #3 in Boston for the rest of the year (and 1B/2 to Swayman next year), then I would be all over making a deal for him. I'm just not sure of what Boston would want for him.

Reactions: Jacob582

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad