Value of: Oilers need a Goalie

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
As bad as Edmonton has been of late and how desperate their GM will beto not squander another McDavid season, NTR should demand a second rounder and solid prospect like Savoie for Geo, whom shutdown Edmonton last night with a save % of ,971.

drury would be in position to really rip Holland’s face off in this trade. Drury would hold all the leverage.

no need to be greedy....
a la carte pricing...
2nd this yr for Geo straight up
more if retained
more if we take Kosk back
more if delayed gratification b'c you don't have that this yr and have to offer a later future pick instead
obv more if NY adds in a package [like 4th rnd pick(s), etc]

those values or equiv but NY must approve prospect [Lavoie, McLeod ok, others, nope.]

MAF to Edmonton makes so much sense. It just depends on MAF himself being willing to go. And I have no reason to think he is willing.

They need to figure out something. Wasting a significant portion of McDavid's career is just not OK. It shouldn't have been this hard to build a winner around him.
MAF is a possible good answer, but acknowledge these risks/facts:
-- Nobody does anybody any favors for free. CHI has no reason to accommodate EDM without getting signif return, more if retained.
-- MAF is hit/miss.
This is a guy whose historical strength is superior reflexes [reaction speed, etc.]. When he is in control there, he is elite. When he has been off, his goals against goes up.
For some time now he has gotten that under control, but with age, this requires ongoing fine tuning, If that part of his game goes flat, it could get ugly.
MAF is 38. Assuming he is willing do you extend? For how much?

yoinger Geo w/rfa rights as a starter for 2nd/+ may be best bang for buck

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Edmonton should stop trying with unproved goalies. Go for a sure thing and pay the price even if it means dealing a 1st or one of your good prospects. Stop wasting Drai and McD’s time ffs.

Holland actually tried to get two goaltenders this off season that we know of. The fact that he couldn't land one is an indictment of his abilities as a GM.

Overall Oiler fans would agree with you. What that "sure thing" is can be debated. Georgeiv isn't a sure thing, for example.

I realize some people on here revel in the idea of Edmonton getting fleeced in a deal for a mediocre goaltender. Or any deal, really.

The one truth on these boards is this: Almost no one actually has any idea what the price and value are of any given player in the NHL.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Edmonton should stop trying with unproved goalies. Go for a sure thing and pay the price even if it means dealing a 1st or one of your good prospects. Stop wasting Drai and McD’s time ffs.

Until they get to the lottery, a 1st wont get you a sure thing. I also do not think sure things are available anyway. They all have question marks.

Reactions: bernmeister

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Holland actually tried to get two goaltenders this off season that we know of. The fact that he couldn't land one is an indictment of his abilities as a GM.

Overall Oiler fans would agree with you. What that "sure thing" is can be debated. Georgeiv isn't a sure thing, for example.

I realize some people on here revel in the idea of Edmonton getting fleeced in a deal for a mediocre goaltender. Or any deal, really.

The one truth on these boards is this: Almost no one actually has any idea what the price and value are of any given player in the NHL.

it has nothing to do with reveling. What’s obvious to everyone is Holland has no leverage. His team is fading, his goalies either hurt and/or playing poorly.

the oil have their first and second rounders as well as a number of B type prospects like Savoie.

teams will be pushing Holland, a guy with his job on the line, to part with futures and prospects he won’t need to care about if he is fired, for a solution to his goalie woes that ail his team today. Those GMs won’t throw Holland life rafts. They’ll make it expensive.

We all know this. That is how the NHL has always operated. There is no way Drury will trade a capable and trending up, RFA protected, backup G for a pick around ~80th OA. Drury had no leverage in the Buchnevich trade and he badly lost it. He’ll drive a much harder bargain here because he can or he’ll just keep his backup as good insurance in case his starter is hurt, needs rest or is struggling. He’s got good options either way. You know who doesn’t have good options. Holland. What he has is a big problem on his hands.

Last edited:
Reactions: bernmeister

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
it has nothing to do with reveling. What’s obvious to everyone is Holland has no leverage. His team is fading, his goalies either hurt and/or playing poorly.

the oil have their first and second rounders as well as a number of B type prospects like Savoie.

teams will be pushing Holland, a guy with his job on the line, to part with futures and prospects he won’t need to care about if he is fired, for a solution to his goalie woes that ail his team today. Those GMs won’t throw Holland life rafts. They’ll make it expensive.

We all know this. That is how the NHL has always operated. There is no way Drury will trade a capable and trending up, RFA protected backup G for a pick around ~80th OA. Drury had no leverage in the Buchnevich trade and he badly lost it. He’ll drive a much harder bargain here or just keep his backup as good insurance in case his starter is hurt, needs rest or is struggling.

good post and underscores my pt
Rangers were greedy should have dealt Buch earlier for higher return

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
good post and underscores my pt
Rangers were greedy should have dealt Buch earlier for higher return
Timing matters significantly in trades. Time is not on Holland’s side with his current dilemmas in net or his team’s decent in the NHL standings. Koskinen did Holland no favors with his goal giveaway last night. Those kinds of mistakes also tend to snowball. And hurt a team’s confidence. Remember MAFs blunder vs the Habs. Vegas never recovered from that.

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
When it came out that we outbid Calgary for Markstrom, I thought we dodged a bullet when he didn't sign here. Now I'm just fantasizing about what could've been. We need a bonafide #1

Reactions: Benstheman

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
You are absolutely wrong regarding Kings goaltending situation.
Quick is starter for Kings and they are fighting for playoff.
Petersen is playing just a little better than average this year.
If Kings will be trading one goalie it will be Petersen.
Does Quick have no trade clause?

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
When it came out that we outbid Calgary for Markstrom, I thought we dodged a bullet when he didn't sign here. Now I'm just fantasizing about what could've been. We need a bonafide #1
Some Avs fans whined about what Sakic paid for a legit starter with high end potential in Kuemper at an affordable $3.5mm AAV (likely cost a low first and B+ NHL ready prospect) We’d be the Oilers shoes if he hadn’t.

oil is 2-8-2 in their last 12 games. That is the definition of a tailspin. Something will happen soon. You cannot waste McDavid’s age 24-25 season on a non playoff team. McDavid turns 25 next week. Give him a goalie as a present. Don’t want to waste Drai’s age 26 season either. This is the prime or their respective primes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crabapple

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Kings cannot afford to trade Quick at the moment.
He is their only chance to get into playoffs.
Agreed , and it's the Oilers they are chasing.

I guess my point is why would Quick want or agree to go from LA to Edmonton

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
This early in the season, I just don't see teams trading a starting goalie when they still have a chance at the playoffs. There are only a few teams that are plainly out of it at this point.

Feels like, at this point, the only choices are Khudobin, Murray, players like that.

Reactions: kinghock

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton

We all know this. That is how the NHL has always operated. There is no way Drury will trade a capable and trending up, RFA protected, backup G for a pick around ~80th OA. Drury had no leverage in the Buchnevich trade and he badly lost it. He’ll drive a much harder bargain here because he can or he’ll just keep his backup as good insurance in case his starter is hurt, needs rest or is struggling. He’s got good options either way. You know who doesn’t have good options. Holland. What he has is a big problem on his hands.

On the other hand one could point out the Rangers can't keep Georgeiv (a pending RFA) under the cap next year and are going to have to unload him anyway. So how much leverage can they really have?

My point is Holland has some options at least. There are other goalies out there. Maybe instead of overpaying for a mediocre goaltender the Oilers could give Konovalov a chance and see what he can do.

CAUFIELD

Oct 16, 2015
Well I know it’s been said 1000x.

Carey price is the Goalie that’s make the oilers serious Stanley cup pretendant.

we can retain 2m$ and take a bad contract

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
On the other hand one could point out the Rangers can't keep Georgeiv (a pending RFA) under the cap next year and are going to have to unload him anyway. So how much leverage can they really have?

My point is Holland has some options at least. There are other goalies out there. Maybe instead of overpaying for a mediocre goaltender the Oilers could give Konovalov a chance and see what he can do.
Rangers have enough good players they can shed salary elsewhere if they need to. Or trade his rights around the draft. They are not in much of a bind with Geo.

oilers have limited options and one of them is they can always try a no name if they’d like. The rangers did that vs the Avs a few weeks ago. Was about like putting two pylons in front of the net. Rangers got demolished at home in that game.

Revansky

Mar 17, 2013
Montreal
Well I know it’s been said 1000x.

Carey price is the Goalie that’s make the oilers serious Stanley cup pretendant.

we can retain 2m$ and take a bad contract

Feels like Jake Allen would be more attractive with his cap hit. Wouldn't a Jake Allen + Ben Chiarot trade for Koskinen + 1st round pick in 2022 and 3nd round pick in 2023 makes sense ?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
A new approach.....try drafting one.
They have. Stuart Skinner is almost ready, and has shown signs of NHL starter potential. We don't know if that potential will be realized, but we know he isn't quite there yet, so he is back in the AHL getting games in there and working on a few things. My guess is that he would be considered a good #2 for us next year if our #1 was a legitimate #1.

Reactions: Ragdoll and ujju2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad