Post-Game Talk: Oilers lose 3-1 : I ain't even mad

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
There is accountability just not to the fans or media. For example look at who gets to ref the playoffs...generally the refs who have the fewest screw ups.

Your idea wouldn't work because of the fact that the law of averages dictates that both teams will have an equal chance of being on the short end with referee interference. This is a neutral party to both teams.

A too many men penalty is there to stop teams from taking advantage of having more players then the other team at any point in the game. This benefits one party and is why it is penalized.

Your explanation makes sense, and I can see why my idea hasn't been implemented previously. But at the same time the law of averages could also dictate that if you blew the whistle every time the official touched the puck, the advantage or disadvantage for the stoppage in play would even out between each team as well.

Anyway, its just a thought.

Also, I disagree with your accountability argument. They still get to ref a full season of hockey. Playoffs are a bonus, and they still get to ref the first couple of rounds. I don't think "not being able to ref game 7 of the cup finals" is a punishment. Only 2 refs get to do that, and its obvious that the best refs will be given that duty.

Thats the reality of life. If you do your job you get rewarded.

But the opposite of that does not exist in NHL officiating. There are no fines, or suspensions or any sort of repercussions of making consistent, or blatant errors. Like I said previously, if I mess up in my job there can be huge consequences. Its not just "oh hey, you made a glaring error. I guess you won't get that promotion you wanted."

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
This looked like mid 90s hockey - the pinnacle of the clutch and grab era. Ridiculous how much hooking, holding, and obstruction the Kings got away with.

Yeah the hook by Penner on Hall not getting called was pretty shocking.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
It's funny that every single team in the league except us has players on the 3rd and 4th lines that can snipe the puck.

Or maybe that just happens against us :p

How many shots do the Oilers take where a rebound is generated and we crash the net? Maybe once a period?

Angelus*

That was the worst game as as Oiler I have ever seen Eberle play. He just seemed lost.

MadMax82*

Sorry for that - mistook you for a Kings fan. Frustration is blinding, I guess.

Its fine. :)

Anyhow,

It hurts not winning the draws.

But people Have to remember that our top 6 has

21-19-22
19-23-29

No those aren't numbers those are the age of the players.

Things will be getting better. There aren't any teams that havent gotten a Crosby on it that have such a young group trying to lead. There are no vets for the kids to really lean on nor be guided.

This year with the compressed schedule and being so short I didn't really know what to expect. Im happy the way the kids are progressing.

It was a touch break on the last play to have the linesman do that. But thats why hockey is a 60min game.

Hopefully Horcoff is back sooner than later. And if RNH is having so much trouble with his shoulders that he is shut down.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
At some point Oilers fans have to stop blaming the refs or linesmen for a loss........there is no league wide conspiracy theory to make the Oilers lose......good teams fight through clutch and grab play.....good management provides a team with the proper pieces to compete in any type of game.....time to stop blaming anyone but the players , coaches and management
I hate blaming officials but when it comes down to a play like that at the blueline and then BOOM a goal against you better believe that I'm going to blame that inept zebra.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
Really? He was the only one attempting to get a cycle game going and actually muck it up a bit. If his linemates had any brains and got to the slot when Harti had the puck behind the net, his line could have easily scored a goal. He was the least of the problems tonight. It was the fancy boys in the top 6 who got away from keeping it simple and were afraid to go to the dirty areas (outside of Hall who at least tried) who were at fault for this one.

Did the big gritty Kings have any players that did anything tonight? Kopitar, Brown, Penner, Carter and all those guys weren't creating chances either. Just a very uneventful game all around.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Yes if only they were bigger they could have somehow averted the linesmen from causing the turnover. The Oilers lost on a bad break and the guy who scored our only goal is the player most often suggested we get rid of to fix this supposed problem. I really don't see the point you are making, 2-1 games will happen.

Oh lord, can you guys please stop blaming the linesmen and the refs?
The bottom line is that the top 6 consistently struggles against teams like the Kings in tight checking games. They just don't have the size and strength to fight through it, it's hard to watch actually.
The Kings didn't do much either but the point was that they didn't need to do much. They simply cruised to the win, it looked easy for them.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Meh, I don't see much more than a 4th liner who can kill some time possessing the puck in the offensive zone with Harski.

He doesn't really do anything other than protecting the puck below the goal line at an NHL level.

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
It's funny that every single team in the league except us has players on the 3rd and 4th lines that can snipe the puck.

Or maybe that just happens against us :p

How many shots do the Oilers take where a rebound is generated and we crash the net? Maybe once a period?

There were so many juicy rebounds tonight where nobody was there to pounce on.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
It shocks me to think this, but can we PLEASE get Corey Potter in the lineup for Ryan Whitney? I'd say Peckham, but that would be disastrous with him and Fistric trying to get the puck out of their end.

At this point, I agree. It pains me to say it as someone who's defended Whitney all along, but the only thing weaker that his stick tonight, is his skating ability

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The top 6 is just fine the way it is, eh guys?
Could it be any more obvious that they constantly get exposed by teams like the Kings. You just knew the script going into the game, that the Kings would dictate the pace and that it would be a low scoring snoozefest. Just Gross. I have so little hope for this team because of games like this.

I agree with the roster as it stands now.
This game was really no surprise. The Kings (along with any other contending team in the West) would grind the Oilers to dust in a 7 game series.

The linesman did not cost the Oilers this game. Not being able to work through the bigger bodies in the scoring areas cost them the game.

The Oilers top 6 is too small and too soft...sadly I still suspect that hammering the worst GM in the NHL over the head repeatedly with this message will remain futile.

jmoss45

Dec 31, 2009
EDM
Not the linesman's fault we lost. Any linesman in his spot would have done essentially the same thing.

How about not being able to win a draw?

Or not being able to get set up on the PP?

Or not being able to score at even strength... again?

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
Losses like this are frustrating because it's painfully obvious that either we rely on our young guys growing up and playing like 24, 25 year olds quickly, or we go and get some top 6 size that can open up some room for them.

And we can't expect Hall, Eberle, RNH, and Yak to play like a 5-6 year vet. And we know that Tambellini isn't the type to make deals. So here we are.

I guess as fans we either be as patient as Tambellini, or stop following the team.

I mean, we had chances to bury the Kings early in the first period. Let the Kings dictate the play for the 2nd and couldn't get organized in the third.

The Oilers are successful when they can dictate the play. When they play the game of a bigger team, they'll grind out a 1 or 2 goal loss.

MadMax82*

Oh lord, can you guys please stop blaming the linesmen and the refs?
The bottom line is that the top 6 consistently struggles against teams like the Kings in tight checking games. They just don't have the size and strength to fight through it, it's hard to watch actually.

Well the linesman was directly involved in kicking the puck back to a LA player... This time they had a direct impact on the game.

Yeah who woulda thunk a bunch of young kids would struggle against veterans...

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Fistric played well.

The Kings, including Quick, have sucked this year and we just make it easy for them.

jmoss45

Dec 31, 2009
EDM
Meh, I don't see much more than a 4th liner who can kill some time possessing the puck in the offensive zone with Harski.

He doesn't really do anything other than protecting the puck below the goal line at an NHL level.

Agreed. Worst game for Harski all year. Showed he can't play on a skill line, since he couldn't take/make a pass for the first 2 period.

He also blew by plenty of chances to finish checks. Played his roll poorly tonight.

MadMax82*

Not the linesman's fault we lost. Any linesman in his spot would have done essentially the same thing.

How about not being able to win a draw?

Or not being able to get set up on the PP?

Or not being able to score at even strength... again?

Kick the puck?

Sorry the linesman was at fault.

GrandLarseny

Jersey Enthusiast
Aug 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB

Agreed, unfortunately I think his skating will hold him back.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Well the linesman was directly involved in kicking the puck back to a LA player... This time they had a direct impact on the game.

Yeah who woulda thunk a bunch of young kids would struggle against veterans...

Please...the Oilers created almost nothing in this game. Thats what really cost them the game.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Agreed. Worst game for Harski all year. Showed he can't play on a skill line, since he couldn't take/make a pass for the first 2 period.

He also blew by plenty of chances to finish checks. Played his roll poorly tonight.

This is what bothered me more than anything. If he wants to be successful, he needs to finish every check

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad