Post-Game Talk: Oilers lose 3-1 : I ain't even mad

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Sure it's an excuse. Its a valid excuse. Had the puck entered the zone would the play even have made it back into the oilers end before the period? We won't know. But the Lineman did have a direct influence on how the game ended.

The Oilers had 59 minutes to create a different reality prior to that play but they created nothing in the way of meaningful scoring chances.

As I mentioned...they shouldn't have allowed themselves to be in the position they were with a minute left.

Its a script we have seen before where a bad break costs the team a game. Good teams dont have that problem. This is yet more evidence that this is still a bad team.

MadMax82*

We have too many posters on this board that make excuses for a loss....at some point the fans have to demand more from the players and management......excuses are for losers......or a by product of a loser mentality .....

So whats your solution?

I can think of a few but they include getting rid of everyone under the age of 25

MadMax82*

The Oilers had 59 minutes to create a different reality prior to that play but they created nothing in the way of meaningful scoring chances.

As I mentioned...they shouldn't have allowed themselves to be in the position they were with a minute left.

Its a script we have seen before where a bad break costs the team a game. Good teams dont have that problem. This is yet more evidence that this is still a bad team.

Which good team doesn't do that? not sure what your expecting out of the team.

I had them 7-12 this year in the west

jmoss45

Dec 31, 2009
EDM
We have too many posters on this board that make excuses for a loss....at some point the fans have to demand more from the players and management......excuses are for losers......or a by product of a loser mentality .....

Exactly. Very easy to see where this season is headed.. a 11/12th place finish. Consistently getting dominated in the circle, weak down the middle generally, lack of toughness/physicality in the forwards, and shockingly little veteran leadership.

If we don't make some kind of move, its on management. We shouldn't be happy with 12th place finish this year. We've got the talent.. now just need a GM with some talent to round out the team.

SeriousBusiness

T.Hall da man
Oct 5, 2003

It goes both ways. There are plenty of posters here on both sides of the extreme.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
So whats your solution?

I can think of a few but they include getting rid of everyone under the age of 25

Trade 1st round picks and prospects for immediate help

Mgmt has to decide if we are competing or tanking this year.

Rafters

Aug 10, 2003
Medicine Hat
Visit site
Of course, but when you see a linesman impeding a play like that (and looking ****ing stupid while doing so) it's going to elicit some frustration.

Nope... I am more frustrated with the fact that Petry had full control of the puck behind the net with 1:10 left in play and the team could not make a proper breakout ....could not make a pass or simple play to get the puck deep when both teams were changing and the was no forechecking by the kings

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Which good team doesn't do that? not sure what your expecting out of the team.

I had them 7-12 this year in the west

I am expecting progress. I am expecting a GM to actually fill some holes...holes which have existed for 4 years now and wont be filled via the draft.
I am expecting the GM to do more than buy a new suit for the next draft lottery.

MadMax82*

Its an invalid comparison.

LA doesn't have the same recent history that the Oilers do.

No... how did LA do prior to there miracle run last year? I mean according to this site an 8th place team that gets to the SCF is a no good team..

How long has kopitar been in the league?

And T-funk

what do you think a 1st rounder will get the oilers that willl help?

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
Anyone else find that Eberle and RNH are taking a lot more huge hits than Hall this season?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I figure i would give the kids until they were all at least legal drinking age in the USA.

But your right. THeve all prolly busted and hit their peaks before there 23rd birthdays

Did i say anywhere in my post that they were busts? Jeez man.
Ok, everything is hunky dory. Does that make you feel better now? Tambellini doesn't need to make any changes.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I never want to see Hartikainen in anything above a 4th line again. Dude can't make a pass to save his life and never is in a spot to get the puck.

He must have passed the puck right into Kings skates 5 times tonight in the neutral zone. And the one time he did get it through he rifled it into Hemsky's head.

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
I would say the kids need help.

Who was the LA player that put LA up 1 nothing?

THe PP is easy to defend because their is no threat from the point to worry about.

Its not different then the 5-5. If you can contain lines 1-2 your most likely going to beat the oilers night in and night out

Frustrates me how they still try the cross-crease stuff. Schultz has a cannon... Use it. Seems like this team is allergic to the greasy garbage goals.

MadMax82*

I am expecting progress. I am expecting a GM to actually fill some holes...holes which have existed for 4 years now and wont be filled via the draft.
I am expecting the GM to do more than buy a new suit for the next draft lottery.

You mean like go fishing for Big name UFAs?

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Oil were once again outshot, bad on the dot, gave too many pucks away and basically relied on the PP to create the only solid offense they could muster... and once again relying on a hot goalie to keep them in the game.

It's like turning the clock back before the last 2 games which they were great in.

Granted the Kings are a physical and stingy team defensively but once again the Oilers had chances and didn't capitalize.

Frustrating game because it feels like in many ways the Oil took a big step back tonight but realistically I think they just met up with a hungry team that had a plan to shut the Oilers down and they did it very well.

Oilers need to regroup and come back swinging hard in the next game. I think they can do that.

Eager had a solid game as did Fistric. They were the best Oilers along with Khabi who was excellent. The old dog has genuinely surprised me with how solid he has played. Gotta give credit where it's due.

Hartikainen looked pretty much invisible again which is a worrying trend for him. He needs to find more game if he doesn't want to be sent back to OKC when Jones and Petrell come back in... because that's where he's headed at this rate.

Top line had lots of try in them... Hall especially I thought was working hard and giving his all but collectively they had a lot less room out there and were on the ice for for all 3 goals against.

Again credit to the Kings for playing a smart, physical veteran style game that essentially shut down a lot of the free wheeling the Oil were trying to accomplish. Still they had enough chances that they should have buried more... just wasn't to be.

jmoss45

Dec 31, 2009
EDM
Petry has been inconsistent this year and it has hurt us. Tambo was banking on him being a top pairing guy, and he hasn't been. Tambo was also banking on Whitney bouncing back.. and he hasn't.

No insurance. Didn't make a hockey trade to bring someone in.

Fistric has been good though, i'll give him that.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Come on... Hall gets those chances for a reason. He's a damn good player, and the driving force of the team

2 goals? Sorry, he like a some of the other players are totally underacheiving. Even Eberle is now the goat these days I see. Hall can't put the puck in the ocean and has had probably more prime scoring chances than anyone on the team. If he doesn't get results he's just a fancier todd marchant out there. He has to score.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad