Post-Game Talk: Oilers lose 3-1 : I ain't even mad

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
No but they're young kids that need to grow.

Yes, i understand that but a part of allowing them to grow is to surround them with proper veteran support and players who can balance out their skillset and Tambellini needs to identify this soon. Hall and Eberle are going to be entering their 2nd contract soon and Gagner needs a new contract this offseason. It's about time that Tambellini starts building a roster that can compete with the big boys.

I don't consider tonight really competing even though the game was close IMO, it looked like L.A. playing in 2nd gear knowing that they didn't have to put in a full effort to beat these Oilers while the Oilers were giving it their all just to squeeze out the scoring chances that they did. Naturally, that should be expected since L.A. is a much better team but i just don't see the big improvement over last season to be honest.

MadMax82*

Pretty sure it was a 5 year process to be legitimate cup contenders. They aren't even close.

Naw Lowe has been on the radio multiple times saying 5year process to making the playoffs then evolving into contenders.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
He is a very young player...years away from his prime. His game definitely needs refining but just imagine if every player on this team had his heart.

He scored 27 goals before, so what if he is years away from his best hockey. this sound like a horcoffian like excuse. Hall himself is accountable though.

People will rag on me for this but I simply don't think the right coach was hired for this team and I still think we have the worst assistants in the league. In any case this team is already darn near doomed for this year with the road trip from hell coming up.

There is something just not right with this team but we are very similar to other years. We almost never have more than about 2 players playing well at one time.

flashy

In the name of Kane.
Dec 17, 2009
Edmonton
Markov, Price and Subban really help.

2 of those 3 players were part of the lottery team last year.

If Markov is really the difference between being lottery and leading the eastern conference i've vastly underrated him and how bad this team needs a #1 d man.

MadMax82*

Yes, i understand that but a part of allowing them to grow is to surround them with proper veteran support and players who can balance out their skillset and Tambellini needs to identify this soon. Hall and Eberle are going to be entering their 2nd contract soon and Gagner needs a new contract this offseason. It's about time that Tambellini starts building a roster that can compete with the big boys.

I don't consider tonight really competing even though the game was close IMO, it looked like L.A. playing in 2nd gear knowing that they didn't have to put in a full effort to beat these Oilers while the Oilers were giving it their all just to squeeze out the scoring chances that they did. Naturally, that should be expected since L.A. is a much better team but i just don't see the big improvement over last season to be honest.

Or La isnt that good since the oilers are such a bad team La only mustered 1 goal in 59mins of play?

MadMax82*

Stanley Cup hangovers happen. Missing the post season after winning it all is not a new occurrence.
The point is that they did actually win it all.

Ohh You mean the 6 month Lockout didn't allow them to regroup?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Naw Lowe has been on the radio multiple times saying 5year process to making the playoffs then evolving into contenders.

In what universe does it take a team 5 years to get a team into the playoffs? And then what... another 2-3 to become contenders? Only an 8 year rebuild... that is longer than the majority of NHL players careers lol.

That just screams incompetence. Mind blowing incompetence.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
How does a team like montreal turn it around so quickly and this team seems content to suck for so long?

Pacioretty, Bourque and Cole (although they were there last season as well) added Prust and Armstrong as well. Those guys balance out the skilled guys like Plekanec and Gionta nicely plus Galchenyuk is a real gem for them, very good in both ends of the ice plus Markov being back helps also. I really like the makeup of that team, nice balanced roster.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
He scored 27 goals before, so what if he is years away from his best hockey. this sound like a horcoffian like excuse. Hall himself is accountable though.

People will rag on me for this but I simply don't think the right coach was hired for this team and I still think we have the worst assistants in the league. In any case this team is already darn near doomed for this year with the road trip from hell coming up.

There is something just not right with this team but we are very similar to other years. We almost never have more than about 2 players playing well at one time.

Thats pretty amazing...you actuality found a way to work Horcoff into your post. :D

This has nothing to do with coaching. The Oilers are going through a coach a season since Tambo arrived. How many coaches have to fail before people start to understand that the roster is the problem?

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
2 goals? Sorry, he like a some of the other players are totally underacheiving. Even Eberle is now the goat these days I see. Hall can't put the puck in the ocean and has had probably more prime scoring chances than anyone on the team. If he doesn't get results he's just a fancier todd marchant out there. He has to score.

That "fancier Todd Marchant" (god what a base way to look at a player) is tied for the team in points, and in the top 20 in league points.

MadMax82*

In what universe does it take a team 5 years to get a team into the playoffs? And then what... another 2-3 to become contenders? Only an 8 year rebuild... that is longer than the majority of NHL players careers lol.

You mean like La?

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

lol, lowe. Lets make it 5 years to make the playoffs, 3 more to win a series and then another 4 to maybe get to the cu....ooopss half the team has retired.

Giving this team a free 5 year pass to go along with the previous 4 years or so of not making the playoffs is idiotic. Especially with the talent we have and the fact that teams with far worse looking rosters out perform us year in and year out.

Amazing that some fans and all the media laps up Lowes milk so easily.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton

I'm pretty sure that the famous "six year plan's" goal was to be a Stanley Cup contender by year six. We're not even close to a regular season calibre team yet, let alone a playoff team in year three.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Ohh You mean the 6 month Lockout didn't allow them to regroup?

Who knows why Stanley Cup winners miss the playoffs the next season.

I am more concerned about the lack of progress with the Oilers.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
The playoffs which they probably won't make, so what's your point?

They did win that Big, Shiny Trophy at the end of last season with the same exact roster. As Guymez said, it's a team built for the playoffs. Not the reuglar season, they are built for the playoffs.

flashy

In the name of Kane.
Dec 17, 2009
Edmonton

I thought this as well, nobody really knows how long this rebuild is supposed to take.

5 years! no its 6 years! no its actually 8 years until we're cup contenders! :laugh:

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
No... how did LA do prior to there miracle run last year? I mean according to this site an 8th place team that gets to the SCF is a no good team..

How long has kopitar been in the league?

And T-funk

what do you think a 1st rounder will get the oilers that willl help?

At the very least it could help us get an upgrade anywhere in our bottom 6 or an upgrade on D. If we're lucky a big winger to play on the 2nd line. Doesn't have to be a star player.

That is if we are planning on competing. If we want to tank again, then get rid of Hemsky yesterday.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
That "fancier Todd Marchant" (god what a base way to look at a player) is tied for the team in points, and in the top 20 in league points.

How many goals does he have? Are the oilers scoring goals? How many glorious scoring chances has he had? He is a hard working talented guy with heart no doubt about it. He's also a goal scorer who can't score on a team that can't score.

MadMax82*

2002–03 2002–03 Did not qualify
2003–04 2003–04 Did not qualify
2004–05 2004–05 Season cancelled due to 2004–05 NHL lockout
2005–06 2005–06 Did not qualify
2006–07 2006–07 Did not qualify
2007–08 2007–08 Did not qualify
2008–09 2008–09 Did not qualify
2009–10 2009–10 Lost in Conference Quarterfinals, 2–4 (Canucks)
2010–11 2010–11 Lost in Conference Quarterfinals, 2–4 (Sharks)

What team is that?

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Well the linesman was directly involved in kicking the puck back to a LA player... This time they had a direct impact on the game.

Yeah who woulda thunk a bunch of young kids would struggle against veterans...

It's like people don't realize every single guy in the top 6 other than Hemsky is still developing. The Oilers aren't built to win now even with the accelerated development of 1st overall picks. They have a very bright future. Sam Gagner is 2nd oldest at 23, that's an age when most players are still on their ELC.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
How many goals does he have? Are the oilers scoring goals? How many glorious scoring chances has he had? He is a hard working talented guy with heart no doubt about it. He's also a goal scorer who can't score on a team that can't score.

So is everyone on the team not named Hemsky or Gagner Todd Marchant?

Ad

Ad

Ad