Post-Game Talk: Oilers lose 3-1 : I ain't even mad

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
meh, i thought we played pretty well. Reverting back to some fancy habits, and had some bad luck. I really didn't like how physical LA got in the third.

Possibly MPS's most complete game as an Oiler.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Tough loss.

Could kind of see it coming though. Oilers came out strong, but let LA dictate the pace of the game and stopped doing the things that made them successful of late(shooting namely). Would have been nice to get at least a point.

Would complain about the refs, but at this point I'm numb to the realities of the inconsistencies when it comes to the NHL standards with regards to reffing. Oilers are just going to have to learn to win without the expectation of benefical calls until they become a good team.

But I will complain about Dustin Brown. His nickname should be "Trapdoor Brown", his trigger is clearly set too sensitive, the floor drops out from under his legs on even a slightest breeze.

Ranfordrocks

Feb 16, 2007
couple of players like george laraque,mike grier and ethan moreau

in there prime is what oilers are missing those sand paper hard hitting players that can get you 15 to 20 goals in a season not afraid to hit..look at Hartikienen big body but no mean streak cycles the puck down low well but thats it.

Hoogaar23

Apr 13, 2011
This looked like mid 90s hockey - the pinnacle of the clutch and grab era. Ridiculous how much hooking, holding, and obstruction the Kings got away with.

MadMax82*

Wow are you guys always like this?

The game was fine. Tough break on the linesman kicking the puck to the Kings. Them the breaks.

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
And it'll never change. NHL Referee has got to be the easiest job in the world from a pressure standpoint. Never have to worry about getting in **** for a terrible performance.

yeah, no accountability.

Also, just a question here for everyone. Currently if you come off the ice and the player you are not replacing is still on the ice and you touch the puck , its a "too many men" penalty as you are technically not a valid player on the ice.

So if someone "not in the game" touching the puck leads to a blown whistle, do you think that if the linesmen or refs get in the way and change the way the puck is going, should a whistle be blown and faceoff taken?

I know this would lead to a few more stoppages, and could kill some momentum, but it could also prevent stupid game winning goals like tonight.

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
Its tough watching these games.. not only due to the Oilers brutal efforts in most games; but from the terrible camera coverage and bush-league reffing! Linesmen always in the bloddy way!

Tambi better be on the phone for the next few weeks! Get something done via trade that favours the Oilers in a huge way! Fill a sniping need! Get the final couple players this team needs and lacks! Get a big centerman that wins draws! Get rid of Whitney and bring in a legit top 4!

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
The Oilers still can't play against teams that employ this.... style.

And it's hideous that it came down to a linesman impeding a play at the blueline. I've seen linesmen and referees interrupting far too many play this year and it's inexcusable.

This style is killing the game. Sports are supposed to be entertainment. There is nothing entertaining about watching a team grind it out along the boards all game.

There are way too many teams in this league whose offensive strategy is throw as many pucks at the net as you can and pray for a lucky bounce/rebound. The NHL needs to reward skilled teams somehow. Making the nets bigger so that players could actually score with shots would be a good start.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
No mention of Eberle's lazy, lazy, lazy defensive play on the GWG?

It was brutal on Eberle's part, he was absolutely awful in this game. Hemsky sucked too especially after the 1st but you'll never admit that i'm sure.
The top 6 in general completely stunk it up, could hardly get anything going but that's not surprising. They always struggle to get anything going against teams like the Kings.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
yeah, no accountability.

Also, just a question here for everyone. Currently if you come off the ice and the player you are not replacing is still on the ice and you touch the puck , its a "too many men" penalty as you are technically not a valid player on the ice.

So if someone "not in the game" touching the puck leads to a blown whistle, do you think that if the linesmen or refs get in the way and change the way the puck is going, should a whistle be blown and faceoff taken?

I know this would lead to a few more stoppages, and could kill some momentum, but it could also prevent stupid game winning goals like tonight.

certainly not the worst idea I've heard

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
it's true I ain't even mad....

I've come to realize this team has no finish and can't score

Eberle is looking lost
Hall flying as per usual but no finish as usual
This team got beat by men tonight...waaayyyy bigger than us

we get more coma inducing drama on thursday when the Wild come to town!

vcash for me!

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Gliding beside him would be a better description.

I'd have to watch again but I'm sure he had his stick around Carter's waist. Not that it matters, should be tying up the stick anyway. The whole play stunk, from the weak dump in that was knocked down by the linesman to Schultz backing up and losing gap control on Lewis to Eberle not tying up Carter's stick.

seguino

Jan 7, 2013
Van
Keep Hall,Nuge,Eberle,J Schultz and Hemsky.
Deal everyone else including picks.
(And Yak)

OILFAN #81

Apr 14, 2006
San Jose, California
This style is killing the game. Sports are supposed to be entertainment. There is nothing entertaining about watching a team grind it out along the boards all game.

There are way too many teams in this league whose offensive strategy is throw as many pucks at the net as you can and pray for a lucky bounce/rebound. The NHL needs to reward skilled teams somehow. Making the nets bigger so that players could actually score with shots would be a good start.

Sports are actually about winning. I don't care if we grinded it either. If we won, heck we could win every game 1-0 in a snoozefest and I would be fine with that. Winning is what matters. We need some better players in a lot of different areas. A top pairing defenseman who can play defense would be a start. Also a top 6 forward who has size. It's depressing that this could be 7 years in a row of no playoffs. Inexcusable.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
For success in today's NHL you need to have a good PK, good PP and good skills comp.

Skill is not rewarded. They need bigger ice(?), and either bigger nets or smaller goalie pads or both.

There's no room to maneuver and the goalies cover 95% of the net.

Replacement can talk about the skilled Habs teams of the 70s but the Oilers are not built to win in today's league.

Not even with the New Asian System of Destiny.

Crobby

Sep 14, 2009
eberle needs a wake up call

Yup. He's not in the AHL anymore where he can coast, cheat on defensive assignments, and still get 3 points because he's the most skilled player on the ice.

Looks like he picked up some bad habits. Content just potting PP points. Sorry but we need more from a 1st line player due to make 6m/yr

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad