Post-Game Talk: Oilers lose 3-1 : I ain't even mad

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Lummer Hummer

Nov 3, 2007
#1 Overall Picks

All I know is this: when you base your entire plan on sucking so bad that you get 3 #1 overall picks in a row (& it may be 4 soon), they can't be anything but lights out. They can't be an okay, serviceable second liner - they need to be absolute superstars, which thus far in their careers, none of them are (let's give Yakupov the benefit of the doubt as this is his first year). Hall, especially, should be lighting it up in this, his 3rd year, but he's simply not. While he dominated @ the junior level, sometimes that just doesn't carry over to the pros. Nugget-Hopkins, similarly, has shown little this year that would make me think he's set to be a superstar. Even as far back as Gagner - a 7th overall pick needs to be better than a maybe-2nd, probably 3rd-line guy if your plan amounts to nothing more than sitting around waiting for all of the young talent to blossom. Eventually, even the most ardent supporters have to admit that present management is not doing a very good job... But think about this little tidbit: Kevin Lowe & Patrick Laforge have been part of team management since 2000 - before 9/11. & some of you guys still defend them to the ends of the earth. Amazing...

MadMax82*

There was an element of coming home in that decision.
That aside, Minnesota is a much better run organization than the Oilers are...are you going to dispute that?

What are you basing that on?

Playoffs?
Rink?
Players Wives?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It's gotten to the point where I hope that we finish bottom five but lose out on a top five draft spot in the lottery just to spite him and his ******* "plan."

Well clearly he can 'F' up as much as he wants and he wont lose his job so maybe thats all thats left to enjoy. :help:

The Perfect Human*

Funny, considering Marchant maxed out at 20 goals; a number Hall surpassed in his first year in the NHL.

Yes, because Marchant was getting spoon-fed offensive time the way Hall was.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
There was an element of coming home in that decision.
That aside, Minnesota is a much better run organization than the Oilers are...are you going to dispute that?

That depends on their results this year. They haven't exactly done much in the last decade either.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
Well clearly he can 'F' up as much as he wants and he wont lose his job so maybe thats all thats left to enjoy. :help:
It would just be interesting (and funny) to see the organization try to spin a 7th or 8th overall pick as the next great hope of the franchise. I mean, if there's one thing that they've been good at over the past four years it's promotion and propaganda.

MadMax82*

It would just be interesting (and funny) to see the organization try to spin a 7th or 8th overall pick as the next great hope of the franchise. I mean, if there's one thing that they've been good at over the past four years it's promotion and propaganda.

So moving up to 22 or 23 in the league... THat would be an improvement. Moving up in PP and PK that would be an Improvement.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
What are you basing that on?

Playoffs?
Rink?
Players Wives?

You seem to like math...take an average of the point totals for every season for the 2 teams since the 2006 SCF for the Oilers.

Maybe the fact that the Wild have not been as successful at producing a really bad hockey team that can be a part of the draft lottery is a sign of poor management?

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Yes, because Marchant was getting spoon-fed offensive time the way Hall was.

I guess we're just gonna have to agree to disagree then :laugh:

Now if only we could find a GM dumb enough to trade their Marchant clone for lowly Taylor Hall......

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
So moving up to 22 or 23 in the league... THat would be an improvement. Moving up in PP and PK that would be an Improvement.
I'm talking about us losing out on a top five draft position by virtue of another team ahead of us in the standings winning the lottery.

The Oilers have had a decent PP and a middle of the pack PK over the past two seasons now. Those two aspects are not an issue with this club and I'm not worried about them. The glaring failings 5x5 need to be addressed.

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
All I know is this: when you base your entire plan on sucking so bad that you get 3 #1 overall picks in a row (& it may be 4 soon), they can't be anything but lights out. They can't be an okay, serviceable second liner - they need to be absolute superstars, which thus far in their careers, none of them are (let's give Yakupov the benefit of the doubt as this is his first year). Hall, especially, should be lighting it up in this, his 3rd year, but he's simply not. While he dominated @ the junior level, sometimes that just doesn't carry over to the pros. Nugget-Hopkins, similarly, has shown little this year that would make me think he's set to be a superstar. Even as far back as Gagner - a 7th overall pick needs to be better than a maybe-2nd, probably 3rd-line guy if your plan amounts to nothing more than sitting around waiting for all of the young talent to blossom. Eventually, even the most ardent supporters have to admit that present management is not doing a very good job... But think about this little tidbit: Kevin Lowe & Patrick Laforge have been part of team management since 2000 - before 9/11. & some of you guys still defend them to the ends of the earth. Amazing...

Taylor Hall: 15GP, 16P (And best guy on the ice many games)
Sam Gagner: 15GP, 16P

You're amazed that fans of a team stand behind their team? You really don't know what it means to be a fan.

Some of the points in your post were valid, but those right there made it lose any credibility.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
That depends on their results this year. They haven't exactly done much in the last decade either.

The Wild had a couple of strong seasons in the years since the Oilers Cup run in 2006. The Oilers haven't had anything even close to that.

I agree about this year though.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
What is rebuilding, other than getting high draft picks?

Rebuilding is focusing on development, abstaining from UFA splashes, keeping youth over vets.

The oilers were trying to dump their draft picks during that era, were trading youth for aging vets, were throwing huge money around on the UFA market, and were maxed on the salary cap.

They were clearly trying to win then, not rebuild. As everyone saw, running a hockey team in a competitive league based on the strategy of "try scrape into the playoffs, and anything can happen" is pure idiocy.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
Hall is creating some offense for sure but he's got to start scoring some goals. According to David Staples he had something like 8 scoring chances tonight... and no goals. Again.

MadMax82*

The Wild had a couple of strong seasons in the years since the Oilers Cup run in 2006. The Oilers haven't had anything even close to that.

When was the last time Wild made it to the finals.

How many times have the WIld Made playoffs since their inception?

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton

The Wild are kind of like the Oilers of the MacT era. Just there... middle of the pack.

That said, I'm starting to miss that type of obscurity. The Oilers are getting attention these days... but for all the wrong reasons.

MadMax82*

The Wild are kind of like the Oilers of the MacT era. Just there... middle of the pack.

That said, I'm starting to miss that type of obscurity. The Oilers are getting attention these days... but for all the wrong reasons.

I agree. I had the pleasure of watching Weight Cujo COm eand go . Then watching the Oilers dump players at the dealine for something and Hopefully battle into a play off spot.

The fact is being middle of the pack doesnt lend itself to moving up the food chain.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
I guess we're just gonna have to agree to disagree then :laugh:

Now if only we could find a GM dumb enough to trade their Marchant clone for lowly Taylor Hall......

No no, Marchant is Hall. Hall is Marchant. You just don't see hockey well like us.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

The Oilers have been consistently very bad for 7 years now.

Thats the point.

You can make the spurious claim that it was all by design if you like.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
I agree. I had the pleasure of watching Weight Cujo COm eand go . Then watching the Oilers dump players at the dealine for something and Hopefully battle into a play off spot.

The fact is being middle of the pack doesnt lend itself to moving up the food chain.
Neither does this (at this rate).

Everybody seems to be saying "They're young" and "Give it time" but this league is dominated by players between the ages of 20 and 26, 27 now. Youth isn't a hindrance any longer... but a lack of size and strength is. This is a puny, wimpy team and all the skill in the world isn't going to change that.

MadMax82*

The Oilers have been consistently very bad for 7 years now.

Thats the point.

You can make the spurious claim that it was all by design if you like.

Sure and I expect them to be decent for a couple more and then hit their stride. Most likely not until Yak is ready for contract #2

Lummer Hummer

Nov 3, 2007
Taylor Hall: 15GP, 16P (And best guy on the ice many games)
Sam Gagner: 15GP, 16P

You're amazed that fans of a team stand behind their team? You really don't know what it means to be a fan.

Some of the points in your post were valid, but those right there made it lose any credibility.

Sam Gagner (career): 380 GP, 81 G, 154 A, 235 P
Taylor Hall (career): 140 GP, 52 G, 58 A, 110 P

Both of the above players need to be better than they have been over their careers for this vaunted "rebuild" to work. Anybody can have a good stretch of 15-16 games. Hell, Dave Lumley once scored in 12 straight games - we should see what he's up to.

MadMax82*

Neither does this (at this rate).

Everybody seems to be saying "They're young" and "Give it time" but this league is dominated by players between the ages of 20 and 26, 27 now. Youth isn't a hindrance any longer... but a lack of size and strength is. This is a puny, wimpy team and all the skill in the world isn't going to change that.

Ok.

Well Which 2 of the Four are you gonna move to make this happen?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad