Post-Game Talk: Oilers lose 3-1 : I ain't even mad

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I'm still pissed that we lose the game because of the linesmen. Obviously he did his best to jump over it but ****. Maybe there should be a rule where if the linesmen touches the puck and the other team gains possession it should be blown down.

That was absolutely ridiculous. :shakehead

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Ok.

Well Which 2 of the Four are you gonna move to make this happen?

Tambo doesn't have the balls to do that and IMO it isn't necessary.

The team has assets (prospects and draft picks) and cap room. Use the assets you have and target teams in cap trouble.

Basically its about Tambo doing his job.

Identify the weaknesses and address them.

MadMax82*

It won't be RNH. He's the centre that we desperately need moving forward and besides, if his shoulder issues continue to be a problem then nobody will want to touch him in a trade.

But I thought we needed more size in our Top 6. RNH could fetch a nice size center. Course it wouldn't be Line 1 material. But he would have size.

Hall Could fetch us more size as welll and maybe a Dman.

Honestly the best actions are the ones you dont make.

Ill hold judgement until Sept 1st of Next season

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
I'm still pissed that we lose the game because of the linesmen. Obviously he did his best to jump over it but ****. Maybe there should be a rule where if the linesmen touches the puck and the other team gains possession it should be blown down.

The Oilers hurt themselves in a lot of ways in this game but I'm flabbergasted by the officials and their positioning tonight. IMO it's been a problem all season with these clowns but it was really obvious tonight all game long.

MadMax82*

Tambo doesn't have the balls to do that and IMO it isn't necessary.

The team has assets (prospects and draft picks) and cap room. Use the assets you have and target teams in cap trouble.

Basically its about Tambo doing his job.

Identify the weaknesses and address them.

Um you need to trade something decent to get something decent

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
But I thought we needed more size in our Top 6. RNH could fetch a nice size center. Course it wouldn't be Line 1 material. But he would have size.

Hall Could fetch us more size as welll and maybe a Dman.

Honestly the best actions are the ones you dont make.

Ill hold judgement until Sept 1st of Next season
And management has a lot of experience with that. Going well so far.

Baby Nilsson

Apr 20, 2006
Victoria

Meh, it's part of the game, maybe he should have been on the other side but I seriously doubt the players are complaining about the linesmen's mistake

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
Meh, it's part of the game, maybe he should have been on the other side but I seriously doubt the players are complaining about the linesmen's mistake
When they're getting in the way and breaking up plays all game long then yeah... I wish that the players would complain.

Obviously this isn't a linesman issue but I was against the two referee system right from day one. It's an incredibly stupid idea. There isn't enough room on the ice.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
That depends on their results this year. They haven't exactly done much in the last decade either.

Let's compare the Oilers and Wild over the last ten seasons.

Oilers
Points - 810
Playoff appearances - two ('03, '06)
Deepest playoff run - SCF '06
95+ point seasons (team) - ZERO

Wild
Points - 877
Playoff appearances - three ('03, '07, '08)
Deepest playoff run - Conference Finals ('03)
95+ point seasons (team) - 3

Uhhhh, definitely would go with the Wild having a better track record. This is only their twelfth season in the league.

Baby Nilsson

Apr 20, 2006
Victoria
When they're getting in the way and breaking up plays all game long then yeah... I wish that the players would complain.

Obviously this isn't a linesman issue but I was against the two referee system right from day one. It's an incredibly stupid idea. There isn't enough room on the ice.

That I agree with

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
Let's compare the Oilers and Wild over the last ten seasons.

Oilers
Points - 810
Playoff appearances - two ('03, '06)
Deepest playoff run - SCF '06
95+ point seasons (team) - ZERO

Wild
Points - 877
Playoff appearances - three ('03, '07, '08)
Deepest playoff run - Conference Finals ('03)
95+ point seasons (team) - 3

Uhhhh, definitely would go with the Wild having a better track record. This is only their twelfth season in the league.
The most important statistic is the fact that the Oilers have the worst W/L record in the entire league post-2004/2005 lockout.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
What's better?

30th
30th
29th

or

27th
24th
30th

Neither team made the playoffs and we got Hall, RNH, Yakupov while they got Granlund, Brodin, and Dumba. I know which 3 I'd prefer to build my core around. What it amounts to is when management decides to get serious about winning in the present. When will we start to move picks for players? We moved a 3rd for Fistric, but when we get serious it will be a 2nd or even a 1st. IMO we shouldn't move our 1st but Anaheim's 2nd could be a nice trading chip. We may have to choose between Hartikainen and Paajarvi, Hemsky and Gagner, etc. Above all else we need to see a plan in place of what our team looks like as a contending team it can't be all cute plays and poor defenders leading the charge. We need size and grit that can put points on the board and if our only method of acquiring these players is through the draft or free agency we are pooched.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Regardless of bounces, linesman kicking in an odd goal, etc. The fact is the team still scored a massive ONE goal. You're not going to win many games like that...unless you have Hasek or Roy in your net in their prime, and we certainly don't have that. Have to start scoring more goals more consistently, no excuses.

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
Regardless of bounces, linesman kicking in an odd goal, etc. The fact is the team still scored a massive ONE goal. You're not going to win many games like that...unless you have Hasek or Roy in your net in their prime, and we certainly don't have that. Have to start scoring more goals more consistently, no excuses.

THIS .... hard to believe all these guys can't score on ES, something really really wrong with that.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
THIS .... hard to believe all these guys can't score on ES, something really really wrong with that.

We're going to need to learn how to start a breakout before we can score goals.

Hiring a coach that will actually use a system might help us get started with that.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country

I have a theory for this. The problem imo is actually setting up the offensive zone. We lack these supporting players for our young talented forwards to be able to play their game.

For example, outside of J. Schultz and Whitney, we really lack a good breakout pass from the D. The others are OK at best, but I think we need more consistent players who can transition the pass to the forwards without being completely lost in the defensive zone.

Not only that, but when they do get it in, after dumping the puck in, we don't have the bodies to go in and dig it out and give it to our guys to try make something out of it. Not saying Hall, Eberle and Nuge are unable to do this, but moreso the fact right now they aren't as good as can be.

We've seen these guys have the ability to dominate when they get possession in the offensive zone, but the problem is both transitioning the puck from the D to the forwards, and then further getting possession.

IMO we've focused so much on getting skill players we've ignored the need to surround them with the supporting staff to make them have success. Something we'll need to address if we want to win imo.

The Perfect Human*

The top line's cycling is top-notch, and honestly should not be complained about too much.

What good cycling provides you with is an opportunity for your big-shot defensemen to jump into the slot and get open for some great opportunities.

Our D-men don't do that - often times they're too afraid of giving up an odd-man opportunity to try anything like the stuff SJS works with their defensemen jumping in for opportunities.

Also - we need to work more of a 2-man cycle than a 3-man cycle. That extra forward needs to be positioned either in front of the net or somewhere in the slot. This is how Thornton+_____ and the Sedin's have been allowed to dominate for so long. They operate off of the 2-man cycle and make the other winger a 30-goal scorer.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
The other losses this season didn't really bother me (low expectations - kudos management) but for some reason tonight's does. Maybe it's because it exemplifies how far this roster still has to go to get to respectability under this management team.

Hell, did the Oilers even play tonight? Maybe I watched a re-play from a game that took place three seasons ago...

Ragss

Jul 5, 2007
This team has an inferiority complex.

Also, where has J Shultz gone to?

CorpseFX

Feb 9, 2007
Milwaukee
1) Hall - this dudes finishing skills under probable conditions has been killing me all season. should have notched a goal but didnt.
2) excessive fancy crap is still leading to numerous dead plays
3) -3 for the top line sucks
4) Gagner continuously getting kicked out the dot is telling (trying to cheat) of his skill there (36% tonight)... nice wrister on the goal, though.
5) enjoyed Fistric and Smid's game (Eager was decent too for his role)

Matt Ryan

Falcons Rise Up
Oct 4, 2011
San Francisco
The top line's cycling is top-notch, and honestly should not be complained about too much.

What good cycling provides you with is an opportunity for your big-shot defensemen to jump into the slot and get open for some great opportunities.

Our D-men don't do that - often times they're too afraid of giving up an odd-man opportunity to try anything like the stuff SJS works with their defensemen jumping in for opportunities.

Also - we need to work more of a 2-man cycle than a 3-man cycle. That extra forward needs to be positioned either in front of the net or somewhere in the slot. This is how Thornton+_____ and the Sedin's have been allowed to dominate for so long. They operate off of the 2-man cycle and make the other winger a 30-goal scorer.

I totally agree, and our sniper is Eberle. The problem, I think, is that he would get pushed around in the slot because he's pretty small. But they should definitely try that.

Oct 15, 2008
The other losses this season didn't really bother me (low expectations - kudos management) but for some reason tonight's does. Maybe it's because it exemplifies how far this roster still has to go to get to respectability under this management team.

Hell, did the Oilers even play tonight? Maybe I watched a re-play from a game that took place three seasons ago...

:laugh:

Ya, ok then.:shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad