Post-Game Talk: Oilers lose 3-1 : I ain't even mad

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
So why were the Kings so keen to pick up on them?

Did they clean up their act or is that whole off-ice issue just a mirage for a couple of dumb trades?

Well why exactly would they trade in the first place? Especially when as you said they reached the finals with them in the first place and signed them to long term deals.

I highly doubt they traded them for ***** and giggles. I'd put money on the fact that a change of scenery helped them.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Re-signing =! Signing

Please learn the difference.

LOL, there is virtually no difference at all. It does not matter one iota if horcoff was already on the team and already under contract or if he happened to be a free agent. Both moves would have been idiotic for that price. The fact that Horcoff was coming off an injury and still had a year left of his deal made it doubly idiotic.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
Meh Greene and Stoll for Visnovsky was a good trade. Greene was a glorified pylon and Stoll wasn't right after his concussion.

Visnovsky is a sublime defenseman who just lead all defenseman is scoring two years ago. It's a shame that he wanted out of Edmonton, the trade for Whitney looked promising, and he played great in his first little bit with the Oilers before his foot issues and surgeries.

Didn't end up great but I think Stoll and Greene for Vis was a good trade.
Greene is a mean, nasty customer and a leader in that LA lockerroom. He's exactly the kind of defenseman (and character) that we could use. Bottom line: he's a winner. Two extended playoff runs in six years and one championship. Stoll is a complimentary player now but he's still absolutely dominant on the dot and Sutter leans on him heavily. He ate Belanger alive tonight.

After it happened there was some chatter within the media that the Kings would benefit from this trade, that it wasn't a typical "the team who gets the best player wins the trade wins the deal" type trade and they were right.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Well why exactly would they trade in the first place? Especially when as you said they reached the finals with them in the first place and signed them to long term deals.

I highly doubt they traded them for ***** and giggles. I'd put money on the fact that a change of scenery helped them.

It probably helped Carter and Richards yes. But are the Flyers better off for it?

flashy

In the name of Kane.
Dec 17, 2009
Edmonton
Well Only one of the was a UFA (Sourray) one was a RFA and the other was traded.

Vanek had to accept the offer sheet. So i'm not sure what that has to do with anything?

Pronger didn't have to sign the 6 year deal here either. He chose to do that.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
All of this means nothing. Rebuilding = getting high draft picks. Lottery picks. They have been getting those since the Cup run. The fact that they weren`t trying to suck- that they were actually trying to win- is merely indicative of the lack of competence of the clowns running the team. I am sure they will do a better job the next time they actually try and put a winning team on the ice, whenever that happens.

High draft picks means you are a bad team, not that you are rebuilding. Incompetent? sure. They clearly had no idea what they were doing and were throwing huge money at medicore players, running with terribly unbalanced rosters, compounded with zero ability to assess the talent on the team and in the system

But rebuilding between 07 - 10? Pure fantasy.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
A lot of that is product of opportunity (#1 PP unit, #1 line, #1 in minutes among our forwards, quality linemates anytime on ice).

You're right. Any player when given that sort of time would be in the top 20 of players for points in the NHL. I understand and I agree.

And just for the record?

It's now 16>8.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
And I said it happens you can't win them all, but the fact is that money will bring FA's here.

I would suggest that a very well run organization will also bring in FA's.

Thats precisely why Hossa opted for Detroit for less money. Players of that calibre and experience aren't idiots...they know a floundering organization when they see it. Anybody thats been to Detroit knows its not about how nice the city is.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I would suggest that a very well run organization will also bring in FA's.

Thats precisely why Hossa opted for Detroit for less money. Players of that calibre and experience aren't idiots...they know a floundering organization when they see it.

So Wideman and Hudler aren't very smart, then?

MadMax82*

Vanek had to accept the offer sheet. So i'm not sure what that has to do with anything?

Pronger didn't have to sign the 6 year deal here either. He chose to do that.

It was 5 and he pulled the shoot at one.

Who knows what things would have looked liked with Pronger on the blue line for another 5 years. Maybe some UFA;s woulda signed?

The fact is Oilers had no where to go. They couldnt bribe a UFA to play here.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
It probably helped Carter and Richards yes. But are the Flyers better off for it?

Ok, they didn't really have any other options other than trading them. They were causing problems off the ice.

It's like when we had to trade Pronger. Were we better off after trading potentially the best D-man in the world at the time? The answer is no. But we didn't really have a choice.

flashy

In the name of Kane.
Dec 17, 2009
Edmonton
High draft picks means you are a bad team, not that you are rebuilding. Incompetent? sure. They clearly had no idea what they were doing and were throwing huge money at medicore players, running with terribly unbalanced rosters, compounded with zero ability to assess the talent on the team and in the system

That really depends on how you define rebuilding.

In my opinion this team has been rebuilding since the april of 07' after that massive loosing streak following the smyth trade and leading to the 6th overall pick.

The reality is this that team realized that it wasn't the cup contender it thought it was.

I think all the steps since 07' we're part of the rebuild, that include strying to pick up FA's.

However if you feel that the start of rebuilding was placing 30th and getting Hall then we'll agree to disagree.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
We tried to sign him too. He chose Russia over us. Don't people remember these things?
He chose Russia over the NHL (not the Oilers) for his own reasons.
The Jagr who came back to the NHL was the very definition of a guy who could have been bought.
We certainly could have gone hard for him this past offseason.

Anyway Jagr is only an example. In the four seasons of Tamby's leadership there have been dozens of real hockey players pass through the process of free agency. Tamby and Katz have brought us Fraser and Barker.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
Tambo clearly likes being on TV wearing that s**t eating grin at the draft lottery. Building a really bad hockey team is all by design dont you know. :D
It's gotten to the point where I hope that we finish bottom five but lose out on a top five draft spot in the lottery just to spite him and his ******* "plan."

Pablo Aimar

Nov 28, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

What is rebuilding, other than getting high draft picks?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad