Post-Game Talk: Oilers lose 3-1 : I ain't even mad

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
So how exactly should they have done anything different? Carter and Richards had significant off ice issues. There isn't a whole lot of options when something like that is effecting the team.
Yup. And by all accounts those two were clashing with teammates, including Chris Pronger on a regular basis.

MadMax82*

Ah yes, our one fluke trip to the cup as an 8th place team that barely made it in and rode the top defenceman in the league and sheer and utter unconcious tending to the promised land where we contended for yea.....oh ....wait.

Just Like LA right?

Oilers only problem that year was goal tending... Which was fixed

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
What are you talking about?

Oilers were in the SCF when La and Chicago didnt make playoffs...

I'm saying that the Chicago Blackhawks and LA Kings rebuilds did not start from the beginning of being out of the playoffs. They were just bad hockey teams. You can't use 5 or 6 years of other teams being out of the playoffs and then winning a cup a couple years later as an argument that that is how long a rebuild takes.

Toews and Kane won a cup on their entry level deals.
Crosby and Doughty won theirs a year after their entry level deals ended.

Hall and Eberle are in the last year of their entry level deals and this hockey team is still garbage.

The sooner that people realize that this rebuild is rotten to the core, the sooner it can be put back on track. This GM needs to be tossed out with the garbage ASAP or this team is doomed.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
The more this team loses, the more intolerable this board becomes. Makes me long for the Conkannen years on here.

If the actual team or the media actual took losing as hard as people on here do we might get somewhere. Losing is totally acceptable for this team. There may be a different coach, a different whipping boy player or a different season but the results look exactly the same. There will always be an abundance of excuses, those will never run out.

MadMax82*

That was almost 7 years ago...how have things looked since then?

Real Good,

Got nice high end talent. Just need to let them develop. This offseason will be the big one for the oilers. and I expect one of the Kids gone. Possibly two

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Yeah, this whole 5 year thing is a load of crap. They are in year 6 or 7 already. Gagner was a 6th overall pick, MPS was a 10th overall pick.

Except the offseason they drafted Gagner, EIG was flailing about in the media trying to convince everyone that they weren't cheap like Katz insinuated, and tried to give up all their draft picks in offsheets and sign half the UFAs on the market in a goofy attempt to retool quickly and win at all costs.

The summer Paajarvi was drafted, they clearly believed in the team's ability to compete and hired a crusty senior citizen to try and unlock that potential of the declining and apathetic veteran core. They also spent their time chasing Heatley with poorly thought out ideas that they were one winger from competing for a cup.

Neither years were they rebuilding by any stretch of the imagination, and the idea of rebuilding never even entered the picture until mid-way through the 09/10 season when the talent and the roster bottomed out.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
So how exactly should they have done anything different? Carter and Richards had significant off ice issues. There isn't a whole lot of options when something like that is effecting the team.

So why were the Kings so keen to pick up on them?

Did they clean up their act or is that whole off-ice issue just a mirage for a couple of dumb trades?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I was just about to say that. The Stoll/Greene for Visnovsky (who became Whitney) remains a sore spot for me. Of course... Stoll may have wanted out... but whatever. Like bad trades (or general inactivity) that's par for the course for the Oilers.

The pattern for this team seems to be...create holes by trading away key players and then spend years trying to figure out what the problem is.

Its like shooting yourself in the foot and then spending years trying to figure out why you're limping.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Eberle doesn't seem himself offensively and he's the weakest of our top line defensively, I hope that he can pull himself out of his funk soon.

Njoy Oilers

Aug 6, 2010
Southern Alberta.
Management needs to add balance to this team. We need more grit in the top-6. Guys who can go into dirty areas and dig pucks out. Guys who can make their living around the crease.

We need another quality puck mover. Our transition game is poor, and if we want to support our young forwards, we need to be able to transition between zones better.

I don't think the above is impossible to upgrade nor would it cost any of the big 5 to upgrade. We need better balance on this team if we want any hope to make the playoffs consistently.

We need a Ryan Clowe. I am of the belief that if this team needs talented big Fwds, then one of the big 4 will be part of the deal. Not sure how that would be balanced out, but my guess is that Tambo is scared ****less to try.

MadMax82*

I'm saying that the Chicago Blackhawks and LA Kings rebuilds did not start from the beginning of being out of the playoffs. They were just bad hockey teams. You can't use 5 or 6 years of other teams being out of the playoffs and then winning a cup a couple years later as an argument that that is how long a rebuild takes.

Toews and Kane won a cup on their entry level deals. Nothing to do with Keith or Seabrook right?

Crosby (Nothing to do with stall fleury or malkin right)
and Doughty won theirs a year after their entry level deals ended. When was Kopitar drafted?

Hall and Eberle are in the last year of their entry level deals and this hockey team is still garbage.

The sooner that people realize that this rebuild is rotten to the core, the sooner it can be put back on track. This GM needs to be tossed out with the garbage ASAP or this team is doomed.

Sooner people realize that the oilers Because an Expansion team when Ryan Smyth was dealt the better.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Eberle doesn't seem himself offensively and he's the weakest of our top line defensively, I hope that he can pull himself out of his funk soon.

I think he's injured. That's what we're supposed to say when someone isn't playing well right?

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Just Like LA right?

Oilers only problem that year was goal tending... Which was fixed

Well la has made the playoffs he last 3 years. And does other teams failures or perceived failures make the oilers better?

MadMax82*

What won't I see this year, a system?

Other teams seem to have them.

What i mean is teams do not have the time to really work things out. This year was a bad year to bring in a new coach with a new system

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Real Good,

Got nice high end talent. Just need to let them develop. This offseason will be the big one for the oilers. and I expect one of the Kids gone. Possibly two

Real good? The last three years rival the worst three years of any franchise ever.

This is the most incompetently run organization the league has seen in 20+ years.

Steve Tambellini and the Oilers organization have pulled the hat over everyones eyes. This isn't a rebuild. This is just a bunch of morons who couldn't build a competent hockey team to save their lives.

MadMax82*

Well la has made the playoffs he last 3 years. And does other teams failures or perceived failures make the oilers better?

and Oilers made it a buch of times when LA didn't your point being what?

The Perfect Human*

Petry has been great the last 1-2 games. Starting to look like the old Petry. Jumping into the play, setting up breakaway passes. He's doing all we can ask of him right now.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
The pattern for this team seems to be...create holes by trading away key players and then spend years trying to figure out what the problem is.

Its like shooting yourself in the foot and then spending years trying to figure out why you're limping.
Tambi also likes clutching those beautiful draft picks and prospects like they're lottery tickets (heh, lottery... apropos) hoping that one of them is skilled and talented enough to make him look like a genius.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Explain to me how you make Top end players sign here?
Money my good man, money. NHL players love money.

Mr Katz told us there would be no expense spared to bring the city a winner.

So far he's brought us a chronically injured, over worked Khabibulin and a revolving door of seriously suspect "on the cheap" players. The only good player they got, they ended up paying to leave town because he questioned some of the team's "suggestions" regarding rehab of a shoulder injury. And really - given what we saw with Hall and may now be seeing with RNH and their shoulder injuries - who can any longer doubt that there were elements of truth to all of Souray's comments.

Aceonfire*

Our D has been fine. Or offense is terrible.

Eberle has been so inconsistent. He is supposed to be our #1 finisher and he has been letting softies go.

Hall is either playing too cute or he shoots it just high of the 5-hole.

RNH has been creative but he isn't taking as many chances, he looks like pass first Hemsky at times.

I miss Jones so much right now..

MadMax82*

Real good? The last three years rival the worst three years of any franchise ever.

This is the most incompetently run organization the league has seen in 20+ years.

Steve Tambellini and the Oilers organization have pulled the hat over everyones eyes. This isn't a rebuild. This is just a bunch of morons who couldn't build a competent hockey team to save their lives.

The last 20 years? Really? wow thats a stretch but ok. Let me know how many teams have made the SCF in those 20 years and how many havent?

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Money my good man, money. NHL players love money.

Mr Katz told us there would be no expense spared to bring the city a winner.

So far he's brought us a chronically injured, over worked Khabibulin and a revolving door of seriously suspect "on the cheap" players. The only good player they got, they ended up paying to leave town because he questioned some of the team's "suggestions" regarding rehab of a shoulder injury. And really - given what we saw with Hall and may now be seeing with RNH and their shoulder injuries - who can any longer doubt that there were elements of truth to all of Souray's comments.

Does the name Marian Hossa ring a bell?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad