Confirmed with Link: Oilers hire Stan Bowman as GM & Executive VP- press conference at 10:30

Oilers88

Jun 19, 2011
My last hope is that Jackson goes up to the podium to announce Bowman as the new GM, then drops the Jordan Belfort on us and remains GM:

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
It’s not spin. There are two reports by two organizations Bowman worked with, one led by Sheldon Kennedy who is not media but a victim.

If he endorses Bowman then far be it from me to pass judgement on him from any perceived moral high ground I feel I might be standing on.
Idc who lends him support or wants to spin this to his favour. Does Kyle support him being reinstated? Until I hear support from the victim himself I will stand by my opinion. There are things in life bigger than hockey and he should banned for life from any professional sports. Now he gets gifted the best GM job in the league with a team ready to raise a cup. This is so sickening on so many levels. I mean it not a red cent until he’s gone.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
There's zero chance McDavid and Draisaitl didn't sign off on this. Jeff Jackson would be braindead to not prioritize that relationship, and given how close he is with Connor, no chance this wasn't considered.

I've also noticed that many oiler fans online project their own morals or ethics on to McDavid, and assume that he would care as much about social issues as they do, as if he is not just another hockey guy. I think many would be disappointed.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Good luck with the gutless media of Gregor Spector staples and Matheson pressing him hard on the kid that was assaulted AFTER Aldrichs time with the Blackhawks.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I don't think some people understand that even though the Sheldon Kennedy report paints a picture of Bowman as a man that is trying to rehab his image and regardless of his actual role in the sexual abuse scandal, it's bad PR for the Oilers to make this move. It forces members of the team to answer these questions, creates an unnecessary distraction for the organization and alienates a portion of the fanbse. On top of it, he has a poor record as a GM after his initial good start with the Blackhawks.

Point being? It frustrates me to read a few posters telling other posters who are baffled by this to basically shut it and even worse for the media to polish this turd by posting the Kennedy article to appease the fanbase to somehow justify this.
It was a tone deaf hiring at best and a scummy one at worst. If the guy was really good at his job at his previous stop, I can sort of see it being worth the trouble but that wasn't the case so what exactly is the point of this hiring?
I will never understand until I see Bowman makes some moves that make me think otherwise. Until then, everybody has a right to be skeptical or even angry and not be told that they're wrong for feeling that way.

And the presser is behind a paywall so only a portion of the fanbase can see it?
More tone deafness if true.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Merit wise the worst part of bowman is the Jones deal. We have the nurse contract because of that awful deal.

Bouchard at 15 mil I guess.

Reactions: Porkleaker

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I don't think some people understand that even though the Sheldon Kennedy report paints a picture of Bowman as a man that is trying to rehab his image and regardless of his actual role in the sexual abuse scandal, it's bad PR for the Oilers to make this move. It forces members of the team to answer these questions, creates an unnecessary distraction for the organization and alienates a portion of the fanbse. On top of it, he has a poor record as a GM after his initial good start with the Blackhawks.

Point being? It frustrates me to read a few posters telling other posters who are baffled by this to basically shut it and even worse for the media to polish this turd by posting the Kennedy article to appease the fanbase to somehow justify this.
It was a tone deaf hiring at best and a scummy one at worst. If the guy was really good at his job at his previous stop, I can sort of see it being worth the trouble but that wasn't the case so what exactly is the point of this hiring?
I will never understand until I see Bowman makes some moves that make me think otherwise. Until then, everybody has a right to be skeptical or even angry and not be told that they're wrong for feeling that way.
The bolded to me is something that needs more attention. It's not McDavid's job to answer questions about bad hirings by the team but he will anyway. It's the higher ups who will likely disappear from the public eye once this presser is over.

There's no part of this hiring that makes any lick of sense. The only thing I can come up with is "He's a friend to certain members of the front office." which worked out so well the last two times.

Reactions: BudBundy

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Not an Oilers fan, but the youth that was sexually assaulted AFTER the coverup, and as a result of the coverup, needs to be the one to endorse this hire. IMHO.

Again victims will always be biased which is why they aren’t involved in sentencing but offering impact statements for a judge. Most victims will never offer an endorsement. As I said in an earlier post Kennedy is uniquely qualified to offer an unbiased opinion - more so perhaps anyone else.

Where can you watch this?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I don't get this. I'm good with us being cup or bust mentality, but it's not like Bowman is some cheat code that will guarantee a cup win.

Like Babcock with Columbus. I don't think he would have made them a winner

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
The bolded to me is something that needs more attention. It's not McDavid's job to answer questions about bad hirings by the team but he will anyway. It's the higher ups who will likely disappear from the public eye once this presser is over.

There's no part of this hiring that makes any lick of sense. The only thing I can come up with is "He's a friend to certain members of the front office." which worked out so well the last two times.
It'll be the same old shit.

"We believe in giving people in our millionaires club second and third and forth chances and that is that"

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Again victims will always be biased which is why they aren’t involved in sentencing but offering impact statements for a judge. Most victims will never offer an endorsement. As I said in an earlier post Kennedy is uniquely qualified to offer an unbiased opinion - more so perhaps anyone else.

I do want to believe that from him, but I do also wonder if a donation was made as well.

Kennedy's "endorsement" is not enough, either way.

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
Well I wasn’t fan of this news. While I want the oilers to win a cup I never want to see this guy lift another cup. He even looks like Pete chiarelli in this interveiw

Edit also in my mind he’s the guy who dismantled the hawks. Panarin for saad stands out

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It'll be the same old shit.

"We believe in giving people in our millionaires club second and third and forth chances and that is that"
The more things change, the more they stay the same. There needs to be a serious purge of the Oilers front office. All the old boys need to be sent glacier drifting.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Idc who lends him support or wants to spin this to his favour. Does Kyle support him being reinstated? Until I hear support from the victim himself I will stand by my opinion. There are things in life bigger than hockey and he should banned for life from any professional sports. Now he gets gifted the best GM job in the league with a team ready to raise a cup. This is so sickening on so many levels. I mean it not a red cent until he’s gone.

Beach may never offer an endorsement. He’s the victim. Most victims would never do so which is why in our justice system they have no say in sentencing. Why should this be any different? Kennedy is uniquely qualified to offer an unbiased opinion.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I do want to believe that from him, but I do also wonder if a donation was made as well.

Kennedy's "endorsement" is not enough, either way.

If money was paid to Kennedy or his organization that would undermine his credibility and destroy the reputation of his organization. I would think it’s unlikely in the extreme that happened.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad