Confirmed with Link: Oilers hire Stan Bowman as GM & Executive VP- press conference at 10:30

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kaniac

Sep 11, 2018
Good for him but he shouldn't have been immediately the GM (and vice POHO!?) of a cup contender right away
He should have to restart his career. Start back in junior and work his way up over the next 20 years.

Getting paid millions of dollars to make minor tweaks to a cup contending roster after being unemployed for two years....

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Queue Draisaitl signing his "team-friendly deal" that JJ has been working on with the now GM Bowman getting all the credit for to boost credibility.

The SA stuff aside, he is NOT a good GM. This is the same Bowman that traded Panarin for Saad, and set the market standard for #1 defenseman a la Seth Jones contract.

Barf.

EDIT: Forgot the braindead Fleischmann for Danault trade. Can't forget that one too.

The Jones thing wasn't all bad. He pwned our GM to enable him to make that deal :) Also that was a desperation move to distract fans from the scandal. Hmmmm, that said, I hope he doesn't have to make any big scandal distraction moves while he's here.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Hopefully people read these reports and then pass judgement. People are allowed to atone for their mistakes in our society and when someone like Sheldon Kennedy endorses him that’s tells me he’s put the work in to make the necessary changes.

From a pure hockey related standpoint I’m not crazy about it but with JJ now fully in command and with his oversight I’ll see what happens and give it the benefit of the doubt.

Edit - now that the presser has happened it sounds like Beach has been working with Bowman and Bowman has been achieving positive results in youth hockey bringing to light these issues. JJ also said Beach (paraphrasing) was positive about the hire.

Last edited:

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
I swear the NHL and Bettman had a hand in this.

Step 1) Make a show w/ a shitty investigation and weak suspensions
Step 2) Get Bedard in Chicago
Step 3) Bowman gets the best job in hockey

Boom, everyone forgets...

Reactions: ICanMotteBelieveIt

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
I actually like this move based on Jackson's track record. There is clearly something he really likes about bowman.

The easy thing to do would be to hire someone else and not have no tough questions. He clearly feels he will go through a lot of tough questions if it results in a better gm.

Personally I don't think bowman is a very good gm but Jackson clearly has researched this extensively and knows better than me.

I suspect Jackson will be heavily involved in gm related duties in fact he's been our best gm of the mcdavid drai era.

Paralyzer

Oilers Win Cup in 2025
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
You were outspoken about others' feelings on this hire and now youre shocked someone else has done the same to you?

Actually that about lines up with what Id expect - carry on

YxbxdJ.gif

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
I swear the NHL and Bettman had a hand in this.

Step 1) Make a show w/ a shitty investigation and weak suspensions
Step 2) Get Bedard in Chicago
Step 3) Bowman gets the best job in hockey

Boom, everyone forgets...
I do feel after that bedard draft the NHL has dirt on their hands and Chicago took the fall for the league.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton

Hopefully people read these reports and then pass judgement. People are allowed to atone for their mistakes in our society and when someone like Sheldon Kennedy endorses him that’s tells me he’s put the work in to make the necessary changes.

From a pure hockey related standpoint I’m not crazy about it but with JJ now fully in command and with his oversight I’ll see what happens and give it the benefit of the doubt.

IDGAF what kinda spin out media puts on this. It was a stupid decision and it will cost the team many supporters. I will most likely still watch but I have made a decision that this team will not see one dollar of my money while this POS is employed by them. Glad I got my WC champs hat last week because it’s the last thing I will get for a long time.

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
Actually, he's one I haven't ignored, and I have over 500 people ignored on here. So I think you got the wrong guy rofl.
Account date may not suggest it but Im plenty familiar with who they are; this isnt their first nor will it be their last attempt to portray others as worse fans for not believing the same as them

AlanHUK

5-14-6-1
Nov 27, 2010
Nottingham, England
might as well repost this here

This is such an idiotic hire.

He participated in hiding sexual abuse, which meant the perpetrator was able to reoffend at a school.

He made shit trades, signed players to garbage contracts and drafted terribly. Taking a juggernaut Blackhawks team and turning into into complete trash.

Not only are the optics horrendous, but he's terrible at the job he was hired for.

oh and announcing it 3 days before McDavid's wedding, a special level of idiocy there, ensuring he's going to be hounded for comments on this directly before one of the most important days of his life.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
This is a bad decision. From a pure quality perspective it's not great unless he's just going to be an errand boy for JJ who seems to know what he's doing but why would a veteran GM agree to that so we'll likely have to live with his mediocre GMing.

From a personal/moral perspective it's just flat out dumb as he should be persona non grata for a long damn time. He did what to redeem himself? Sat out for a bit and wrote a letter(likely with the help of lawyers and as earnest as...well a letter written with the help of lawyers)? Maybe took some bogus self improvement course? Come on. One of the key things to be a good boss is to protect your employees from being abused at the workplace. He's failed so incredibly bad at that. It shouldn't be this easy to just waltz back in.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Hilarious, love the online panic. 90% of fans outside of X/Reddit/HFBoards won't care nearly as much.

Go oilers.
So you’re just fine with this? Jackson and Katz have an entire world of hockey execs to choose from. Good people with sharp minds. And they immediately choose,by far and away, THE MOST controversial choice they could’ve made. WHY?? He comes with a metric tonne of bad baggage and an extremely spotty record of managerial incompetence. It boggles the mind. You’re forcing everyone in the Oilers organization to answer awkward questions. The players have to answer awkward questions from reporters, their family, and their friends. We are at a critical junction with Drai right now and McDavid next year. In a a world full of smarter and far safer, classier choices. Katz and Jackson went with the worst. f*** them both.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad