Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

North

Jun 25, 2009
I’m not super upset about these offer sheets. We’ve used offer sheets in the past (granted we overpaid Dustin Penner).

We have a good team with these two, and we have a good team without these two. Neither of them played a full season with us last year and we did fine.

The usefulness of these players was a hope of finally a step forward but at a reasonable rate of pay. That’s gone and we’re not even sure if they will be able to maintain the momentum of the playoffs.

Does a second and a third suck? Yes but we could use those picks as valuable currency during the deadline and may even end up with rentals who are better than what these two are right now.

Don’t get me wrong, I like both players but not at an inflated rate.

Very solid top 6 too with Thomas, Kyrou, Buchnevich, Bolduc, Schenn and Saad. Just need 1 stud 1LD to contend for the division. Not an easy task.
Yeah d is definitely hard to get. Nobody wants to give up good d men.

We were delighted when Nashville traded us Ekholm.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Reading the st louis board they actually think they can make the playoffs by adding these two fringe players at 3x their worth, lol

Well I would probably put them 9-10 in the west, so its not a stretch to think they might make the playoffs. Teams like the Kings/Jets aren’t bulletproof. But I don’t think it will be because of Broberg/Holloway. The west just isn’t that strong.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I’m not super upset about these offer sheets. We’ve used offer sheets in the past (granted we overpaid Dustin Penner).

We have a good team with these two, and we have a good team without these two. Neither of them played a full season with us last year and we did fine.

The usefulness of these players was a hope of finally a step forward but at a reasonable rate of pay. That’s gone and we’re not even sure if they will be able to maintain the momentum of the playoffs.

Does a second and a third suck? Yes but we could use those picks as valuable currency during the deadline and may even end up with rentals who are better than what these two are right now.

Don’t get me wrong, I like both players but not at an inflated rate.

Yeah d is definitely hard to get. Nobody wants to give up good d men.

We were delighted when Nashville traded us Ekholm.

That’s the kind of move the Blues need to happen. Blues have a really strong prospect pool too. Dvorsky and Snuggerud are close. Both look like studs.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
The more I hear about Broberg being upset with management, the more I feel like just let him go. I would like to see them keep him, but if the player doesn't want to be here then so be it. Take the 2nd.

North

Jun 25, 2009
That’s the kind of move the Blues need to happen. Blues have a really strong prospect pool too. Dvorsky and Snuggerud are close. Both look like studs.
Ours isn’t strong but Savoie and O’Reilly help.

In terms of d Wanner looks like he’s going to be something. I have high hopes for Akey as well but he missed some development time due to injury last season.

Reactions: Mike Liut

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I don't know how anyone can argue "Perry contract had nothing to do with this". It clearly did. Even if this didn't happen why isn't he getting a low base salary?

I'd easily rather have Holloway than Perry in this team and allocating Perry funds if 1.4 million plus the 1.25 million he's entitled to would have addressed this mess.

Explain. You take the 1.4 to Perry and you give it to Holloway plus the ~1 mil already earmarked for Holloway.
It’s not surprising your understanding is so lacking when you can’t even get the facts straight.

Perry’s cap hit this year is 1.15 not 1.25, and the reason it’s a weird number like 1.15 is because that is exactly the highest amount you can bury in the minors without it counting against the cap. This Perry contract was never going to affect the amount of money they could offer Holloway or anyone else for that matter, it was purely an insurance policy. Do you understand now or is it still too complicated for you?

And also Im sure Perry is fully aware that there was a strong possibility he would be spending at least a portion of his season in Bako given the teams cap situation. If that was a big issue for him then he probably would have taken league min as that would have reduced the chances of him being sent down.

Gagner didn’t seem to mind and I don’t think Perry would either, he’s going to be getting paid a million dollars to play the game he loves in California which I’m pretty sure is where his family is still based so he’s be closer to them during the season and then he gets to come up and join the team for another playoff run. What a terrible fate for a guy at the end of his career.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Well I would probably put them 9-10 in the west, so its not a stretch to think they might make the playoffs. Teams like the Kings/Jets aren’t bulletproof. But I don’t think it will be because of Broberg/Holloway. The west just isn’t that strong.
Blues need someone to take a big step. Be it Neighbours, Purenivich, Hofer, or someone else, even Broberg/Holloway if they get one or both of them. Kind of expect the same from what we have seen from the likes of Faulk, Parayko, Leddy, Thomas, Kyrou, Buch, Schenn, etc. over the past 3 seasons. They need something else to get over the hurdle to return to the PO.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Back injuries are scary. Hard to manage. Not as easy to manipulate via LTIR like a faking a long recovery on a sports hernia surgery. Back pain much harder to manage and treat.

And didn't Arvasson miss the playoffs two years ago against the Oilers so no guarantee he'll play thru injury either.
Back injuries are actually one of the easier injuries to manipulate because they’re much harder to diagnose. It’s not a coincidence that Stone has a coming and going back injury the first two years that seemed to always be coming and going at the most convenient times.

Back injuries are one of the leading injuries in insurance fraud because they can be incredibly difficult to diagnose. I used to date a girl who represented insurance companies in insurance fraud cases and she used to say that back injuries were almost always a red flag that required further investigation because they were easy to fake due to how difficult it can be to diagnose and a doctor she used to use told her, I can have two people with the exact same back injury and for one of them it could be a mild discomfort and for the other it could be debilitating pain.

Reactions: McJedi

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
It’s not surprising your understanding is so lacking when you can’t even get the facts straight.

Perry’s cap hit this year is 1.15 not 1.25, and the reason it’s a weird number like 1.15 is because that is exactly the highest amount you can bury in the minors without it counting against the cap. This Perry contract was never going to affect the amount of money they could offer Holloway or anyone else for that matter, it was purely an insurance policy. Do you understand now or is it still too complicated for you?

And also Im sure Perry is fully aware that there was a strong possibility he would be spending at least a portion of his season in Bako given the teams cap situation. If that was a big issue for him then he probably would have taken league min as that would have reduced the chances of him being sent down.

Gagner didn’t seem to mind and I don’t think Perry would either, he’s going to be getting paid a million dollars to play the game he loves in California which I’m pretty sure is where his family is still based so he’s be closer to them during the season and then he gets to come up and join the team for another playoff run. What a terrible fate for a guy at the end of his career.

Apparently Perry himself mentioned that he "still needs to make the team" according to a friend of mine that was listening to an interview after he signed.

The bonus at 15 games is an indicator of that as well. I'd be stunned if both sides didn't acknowledge that a roster spot isn't a guarantee.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
It is almost as ridiculous as 80% of the Oiler fans on here just 5 months ago calling Broberg a bust. Most team fans overvalue prospects/young players. Most Oiler fans far undervalue them and are all about the what did you do for me last year. That is how e get the majority of fans who called for the Subban for Draisaitl trade, the Karlsson for Draisatil + trade, Bouch trade for peanuts, etc.
I'm calling bs.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
It is almost as ridiculous as 80% of the Oiler fans on here just 5 months ago calling Broberg a bust. Most team fans overvalue prospects/young players. Most Oiler fans far undervalue them and are all about the what did you do for me last year. That is how e get the majority of fans who called for the Subban for Draisaitl trade, the Karlsson for Draisatil + trade, Bouch trade for peanuts, etc.
the majority of fans also begged to trade Puljujarvi years ago, called out our terrible drafting too.

And yes it’s a results business, you have to do something.
Broberg has done literally nothing for any real sample size and is going to get paid like a legit middle pair defender when he is barely a bottom pair one.

Some wantes to trade Drai cause we had been dying for a #1 d for decades and we finally have one and he is going to age out soon. People are wrong as often as they are right so this is kind of a silly post

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Have to keep Holloway, he’s better than a 3rd round pick.
We gave Pulju 3M without St.Louis screwing us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad