Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Zero chance we are matching Broberg. If he was a natural right shot, sure, but he's not.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

Who knows if true but hard to see them matching on Broberg if true. I don’t know how much I trust Friedman. I have never really heard the news about him not wanting to play RD before this week.

I have some sympathy for him because I do think the Oilers jerked him around a bit. But he also didn’t show much either.

I still have no idea why Holloway signed the offer sheet though. It’s baffling.

Reactions: Oilhawks

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Very solid top 6 too with Thomas, Kyrou, Buchnevich, Bolduc, Schenn and Saad. Just need 1 stud 1LD to contend for the division. Not an easy task.
They won’t make the playoffs again. They had a nice bump in the middle of last season- but weren’t very good I. The beginning and end. They also had Binnington playing ridiculous- which trailed off.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Where the Oilers f’d up is prioritizing Perry over Holloway.
Yes, I agree. I do not understand why (no matter how cheaply) they went back to Corey Perry. Even if he's healthy again, he's old and very slow, and they already have/had Hyman and Holloway as forwards who drive the net and get their noses dirty. The priority should have been Holloway over Perry. But the current-era Oilers' management loves its grey-beards....

I understand what people are saying about the potential disaster of losing a possible top-4 defenceman in Broberg, but... I personally don't think the player has shown enough to merit the current price on the offer sheet. It's just that simple.

For me, I do think Holloway has now shown enough that I want to keep him.

If they hadn't re-signed Perry at all, it would probably now be feasible to let Broberg go to St. Louis, sign Holloway, put Kane on LTIR, and come in (just) under the cap. But they signed Perry....

(While I'm dreaming, I may as well imagine they hadn't signed Nurse to 50 million a year...)

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Zero chance we are matching Broberg. If he was a natural right shot, sure, but he's not.

Even if he was a natural right shot, he'll naw.

His inability to grab a roster spot on a roster wide open for him with a red carpet rolled out and his name already penned in is the reason we went out and had to acquire Kulak and Ekholm at all in the first place.

Meanwhile, while we've have nothing in his way for almost his entire career with his name penciled right in - he's been routinely outclassed by names like Gleason, Niemelienan, Desharnais, Koekkoek, Kulikov, and the corpse of Kris Russell.

Frankly - at the point we are at in our teams cup window - the thought of paying Broberg 4.6 AAV should be an absolute non starter. He's played 9 NHL games and largely looked atrocious doing it until he looked ok in a handful of playoff games. There's just as good a chance he's so bad he can't make the team as there is he can effectively play in the league... We can't be gambling on giving that 4.6 million.

I guess the blues are crappy enough that they can.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Bruce McCurdy pointed out in his article a day or two ago that if the Oil lose both Broberg and Holloway, then to start the regular season the youngest Oiler on the entire roster will be Evan Bouchard at age 25 (unless Lavoie or Savoie gets in a game in, which is unlikely, I think).

The veteran 1990 Oilers who won the Cup had 8 or 9 players on the roster younger than Bouchard will be to start next season!

While I understand the need to go all-in to win the Cup in 2025 (and maybe 2026, but even then I think the window is smaller) we also have to remember that the Oilers still need to compete when McDavid and Draisaitl are past their primes or gone.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Even if he was a natural right shot, he'll naw.

His inability to grab a roster spot on a roster wide open for him with a red carpet rolled out and his name already penned in is the reason we went out and had to acquire Kulak and Ekholm at all in the first place.

Meanwhile, while we've have nothing in his way for almost his entire career with his name penciled right in - he's been routinely outclassed by names like Gleason, Niemelienan, Desharnais, Koekkoek, Kulikov, and the corpse of Kris Russell.

Frankly - at the point we are at in our teams cup window - the thought of paying Broberg 4.6 AAV should be an absolute non starter. He's played 9 NHL games and largely looked atrocious doing it until he looked ok in a handful of playoff games. There's just as good a chance he's so bad he can't make the team as there is he can effectively play in the league... We can't be gambling on giving that 4.6 million.

I guess the blues are crappy enough that they can.

I agree. Maybe if he were a natural right shot his development would have been a bit better.

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
Amazing? He got absolutely shit on in the finals in every metric except on ice shooting, you must think his 18% is sustai

Amazing? He got absolutely shit on in the finals in every metric except on ice shooting, you must think his 18% is sustainable
He was actually one of our best defenseman in huge pressure situations, he was poised once he got it and was a huge calming influence, reminded me of Pronger that way. Of course he didn't get the time or situations but you could see the lights went on.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
He was actually one of our best defenseman in huge pressure situations, he was poised once he got it and was a huge calming influence, reminded me of Pronger that way. Of course he didn't get the time or situations but you could see the lights went on.
Oh... You actually believe this?

You have anything to back up this statement?

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
They struggled to get where they were last year and had a lot of puck luck- to think that will continue for an added 5-7 more wins and winning the division is a bit of a reach

Sorry for debating my team on your board, I know it’s not good ethics. Good luck to you guys this year.

Reactions: Tobias Kahun

TheMustardTiger

Owner of the Dirty Burger
May 4, 2016
Any one know if we are allowed to trade a player that was given an offer sheet before the 7 days are up?

I wonder if another team would be interested in Broberg and willing to match the offer sheet that could potentially give something up better than the Blues 2nd round pick?

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
People in hell want a glass of ice water too, I can understand his frustration however Im certain with that contract and a regular spot he will forgive us. Likely one of the best development jobs this team has done for decades.

Your trolling now arent you.

Broberg is the poster child for failed development. Played 3 minutes a night under Woodcock and Holland for a season +, never got playing time, often injured - usually from slicing pizza in Bakersfield. Up and down between here and Bako like a yoyo. Never got established in either locale until sent down by KK once and for all this year to get his shit together. Played well in limited playoff games until you could see the wheels starting to come off vs Florida and when pressured in the D zone like Florida can, his game often cratered. Not sure he knows what a bodycheck is and gets sent into the 4th row of seats once per game with what looks like a season ending injury.

He doesnt want to be here, I get it. The Oilers f***ed his development curve right up, Covid didnt help, but he never took any bull by any horns either.

StL wants to pay him 4 x his worth, be my guest Dougie.

Any one know if we are allowed to trade a player that was given an offer sheet before the 7 days are up?

I wonder if another team would be interested in Broberg and willing to match the offer sheet that could potentially give something up better than the Blues 2nd round pick?

It's only been posted 11,000 times in this thread....NO you cant.

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
I think a #1D is a bit of a stretch, more likely he tops out as a really good second pairing guy. Also it’s hard to say for sure that he would develop the same way on a Cup contender vs a meh team where he’ll have a lot more room to grow.

Personally, I think he’s still growing as a player and will still be prone to inconsistencies but if you’re going to sign an offer sheet and force your Cup contending team to pay you like a second pairing defender then you better be damn sure you’re going to be able to back it up and consistently perform in second pairing minutes and competition.

That’s where I see the risk as being too great, I think the pressure of living up to that cap hit immediately would be too great and he would crumble and they wouldn’t be able to shelter him at that point. Matching that offer leaves them in a position where they’ll have to trade at least one guy who the coaching staff could use to shelter Broberg if he struggled, it also handcuffs them on upgrading if he’s not ready to play top 4 well enough full time. That is an insane amount of pressure because after the way you went about signing that contract, if you don’t live up to that deal immediately the fans and media are going to be so far up your ass it’s going to make life very uncomfortable and would likely shoot his confidence to shit.
The absolute best way to develop prospects is to keep them in a lower level for longer than they should be and then throw them into the fire in very important games. You don't get that chance very often he learned more in five games than he would learn in 3 seasons on a crappy team. If you go to his thread here on this board and look I mentioned how absolutely great he played in one of the playoff games that the Oilers got blown out in. Its like buying a stock that goes up big in a down market, he's going to be a stud!

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
Your trolling now arent you.

Broberg is the poster child for failed development. Played 3 minutes a night under Woodcock and Holland for a season +, never got playing time, often injured - usually from slicing pizza in Bakersfield. Up and down between here and Bako like a yoyo. Never got established in either locale until sent down by KK once and for all this year to get his shit together. Played well in limited playoff games until you could see the wheels starting to come off vs Florida and when pressured in the D zone like Florida can, his game often cratered. Not sure he knows what a bodycheck is and gets sent into the 4th row of seats once per game with what looks like a season ending injury.

He doesnt want to be here, I get it. The Oilers f***ed his development curve right up, Covid didnt help, but he never took any bull by any horns either.

StL wants to pay him 4 x his worth, be my guest Dougie.

It's only been posted 11,000 times in this thread....NO you cant.
Yeah no Im not trolling, speaking of Snuffleupagus look no further that Forsling who plays on the team you mentioned. Defense takes a long time to develop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad