Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Bruce McCurdy pointed out in his article a day or two ago that if the Oil lose both Broberg and Holloway, then to start the regular season the youngest Oiler on the entire roster will be Evan Bouchard at age 25 (unless Lavoie or Savoie gets in a game in, which is unlikely, I think).

The veteran 1990 Oilers who won the Cup had 8 or 9 players on the roster younger than Bouchard will be to start next season!

While I understand the need to go all-in to win the Cup in 2025 (and maybe 2026, but even then I think the window is smaller) we also have to remember that the Oilers still need to compete when McDavid and Draisaitl are past their primes or gone.

When McDavid and Draisaitl are past their prime, they will still be better than 99% of the league. It will be fine.

InTheBox

Feb 7, 2021
As much as I hate to say it, I'd let them both walk. I've watched Holloway since he played here, in Wisconsin, and love the player. But he hasn't shown enough for the money. And Broberg hasn't shown enough as well. A good run last year, but that was it. And for the money, no thanks. We have enough forwards in the system to replace Holloway. And we should have some cap room with Kane on LTIR to trade for someone to replace Broberg. And if we don't, we have a bunch of RD's in the system now.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
The absolute best way to develop prospects is to keep them in a lower level for longer than they should be and then throw them into the fire in very important games. You don't get that chance very often he learned more in five games than he would learn in 3 seasons on a crappy team. If you go to his thread here on this board and look I mentioned how absolutely great he played in one of the playoff games that the Oilers got blown out in. Its like buying a stock that goes up big in a down market, he's going to be a stud!
That’s also a great way to destroy a players confidence. It was a big gamble going to Broberg and he passed the test but he was still one of the least deployed players on the blue line and was still somewhat sheltered. There’s a big difference between looking good in a short stretch in the finals when you’re running on adrenaline vs doing it night in night out for an entire season for 18-20 minutes every night when your team is counting on you to take some tough assignments.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Absolutely I believe that I wouldn't say it if I didn't! Of all the additions and there have been many great ones he is the one I am most excited to see next year. Diamond in the rough of peoples opinions
So what proof do you have to back up this claim that he was that good?

People in hell want a glass of ice water too, I can understand his frustration however Im certain with that contract and a regular spot he will forgive us. Likely one of the best development jobs this team has done for decades.
Best jobs?

Oh, you cant be serious, that is hilarious.

Kind of invalidates how good you think Broberg was during the playoffs.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
The absolute best way to develop prospects is to keep them in a lower level for longer than they should be and then throw them into the fire in very important games. You don't get that chance very often he learned more in five games than he would learn in 3 seasons on a crappy team. If you go to his thread here on this board and look I mentioned how absolutely great he played in one of the playoff games that the Oilers got blown out in. Its like buying a stock that goes up big in a down market, he's going to be a stud!
in the playoffs, I learned in the important games that if you throw him on the ice, the team is going to get pelted with shots and scoring chances against.

Very solid top 6 too with Thomas, Kyrou, Buchnevich, Bolduc, Schenn and Saad. Just need 1 stud 1LD to contend for the division. Not an easy task.
Solid?

Looks like 2 second lines.

Who knows if true but hard to see them matching on Broberg if true. I don’t know how much I trust Friedman. I have never really heard the news about him not wanting to play RD before this week.

I have some sympathy for him because I do think the Oilers jerked him around a bit. But he also didn’t show much either.

I still have no idea why Holloway signed the offer sheet though. It’s baffling.
He also regressed in the last 2 pre-seasons when a player of his caliber should be going all out, to outplay the NHL veterans going through the motions.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
According to Friedman, Broberg still wanted out of Edmonton. Looks like he will get his wish.
I hope to watch Evander Kane run him when hes unable to detect an incoming forecheck and put himself in harms way like he did so many times in Edmonton.

Theres a reason he was always injured here.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Along with the other moves and subtractions. Not just with these 2 guys. The Blues were a 92 pt team and easily added 10-15 points with all their moves…. And subtractions
Huh? They have multiple key pieces that are injury prone and decided to go older with most of their offseason moves then decided to use up the rest of their cap on hail mary's. Best case scenario for them, they are resigning these guys for more than they are worth on long term deals. I like Holloway but he's a middle sixer at best. Broberg is a low end 2nd pair guy (at best) but most likely a 3rd pair guy with a 4.6m contract you will likely need to increase. The Blues will be fighting for 3rd in the division and are a few injuries away from being near bottom of the conference.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Who knows if true but hard to see them matching on Broberg if true. I don’t know how much I trust Friedman. I have never really heard the news about him not wanting to play RD before this week.

I have some sympathy for him because I do think the Oilers jerked him around a bit. But he also didn’t show much either.

I still have no idea why Holloway signed the offer sheet though. It’s baffling.
He had 4m reasons

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
With Broberg in particular, it's really hard to keep him. It makes this year hard to plan for

But what do we have this high profile management group for? The easy, low effort option is just to let these guys walk so you don't have to be creative. You don't have to make tough decisions. Everything is so damn simple. To find a way to run the team and keep Broberg.... damn that would be inspiring leadership. It would be the one way to erase the screw up of allowing this situation in the first place

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
That’s also a great way to destroy a players confidence. It was a big gamble going to Broberg and he passed the test but he was still one of the least deployed players on the blue line and was still somewhat sheltered. There’s a big difference between looking good in a short stretch in the finals when you’re running on adrenaline vs doing it night in night out for an entire season for 18-20 minutes every night when your team is counting on you to take some tough assignments.
Very true, you need to walk before you run, As you saw he wasn't destroyed in fact he rose above the situation playing against the best team in hockey last season, that counts!

So what proof do you have to back up this claim that he was that good?

Best jobs?

Oh, you cant be serious, that is hilarious.

Kind of invalidates how good you think Broberg was during the playoffs.
As I said, mark my post we will never agree and that's fine. That's what these boards are all about.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
According to Friedman, Broberg still wanted out of Edmonton. Looks like he will get his wish.
That's pretty meaningless. Weber wanted out of Nashville when he signed that offer sheet with Philly, but he still played for years with Nashville. Weber's agent said during the matching window that Shea wanted out. Broberg has a lot less sway than a guy like him

Broberg likely has no problem with the Oilers aside from his usage and future with the team. With our offer around 1.2 it means we clearly wanted to put off our ultimate decision on him yet again, which means the team was ready to have him as 7th D if there were any growing pains. St. Louis was ready to give him a real shot.

If we match, it changes everything. It means that coaching will be FORCED to take him seriously or have 3 million in dead cap in the press box or third pairing

And I'm fully in favor of rolling the dice. His play in the playoffs proved plenty that he's ready. He's been raved about by our org for years. We know he can make the NHL transition finally

Reactions: Game 8

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Yeah no Im not trolling, speaking of Snuffleupagus look no further that Forsling who plays on the team you mentioned. Defense takes a long time to develop.

You said he’s the best example of Oiler player development in decades. That’s a laughably insane comment given the facts thus far.

He may be a top 4 guy one day. He’s not that yet. And at $9M over 2 years he can try to be that elsewhere.

That's pretty meaningless. Weber wanted out of Nashville when he signed that offer sheet with Philly, but he still played for years with Nashville. Weber's agent said during the matching window that Shea wanted out. Broberg has a lot less sway than a guy like him

Broberg likely has no problem with the Oilers aside from his usage and future with the team. With our offer around 1.2 it means we clearly wanted to put off our ultimate decision on him yet again, which means the team was ready to have him as 7th D if there were any growing pains. St. Louis was ready to give him a real shot.

If we match, it changes everything. It means that coaching will be FORCED to take him seriously or have 3 million in dead cap in the press box or third pairing

And I'm fully in favor of rolling the dice. His play in the playoffs proved plenty that he's ready. He's been raved about by our org for years. We know he can make the NHL transition finally

False equivalency. Weber signed an offer sheet that would have him play in Nashville if they matched. He didn’t ask for a trade months earlier and express his dissatisfaction via his agent. Broberg apparently still wanted out of Edmonton no matter what and don’t believe Edm will match.

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
You said he’s the best example of Oiler player development in decades. That’s a laughably insane comment given the facts thus far.

He may be a top 4 guy one day. He’s not that yet. And at $9M over 2 years he can try to be that elsewhere.

False equivalency. Weber signed an offer sheet thames in fact it ist would have him play in Nashville if they matched. He didn’t ask for a trade months earlier and express his dissatisfaction via his agent. Broberg apparently still wanted out of Edmonton no matter what and don’t believe Edm will match.

Not many good defensemen developed in the last 30 year's amirite?

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

False equivalency. Weber signed an offer sheet that would have him play in Nashville if they matched. He didn’t ask for a trade months earlier and express his dissatisfaction via his agent. Broberg apparently still wanted out of Edmonton no matter what and don’t believe Edm will match.
The differences don't matter. It was an RFA that signed an offer sheet with the intention of leaving.

Friedman likely has real info that Broberg wanted out but there is no mention of the motivation. With both situations we don't know what was going on in their heads. If you think that Broberg's resentment is permanent, that's all your speculation based on tiny shreds of info

Imo if Broberg finds a real role and success here, he will love being here. All it would take is the same opportunity Bouchard got. Bouchard was pretty inconsistent before the team bent over backwards to put him in a position to succeed

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
What if Broberg doesn’t want to live in Edmonton?
Why did the Oilers suddenly go from a team that couldn't sign any free agents to one that had UFAs clamoring to sign up? It's because joining the Oilers were not a great opportunity for success, but now they are

So why is Broberg unhappy? Maybe he just hates Edmonton but the much simpler explanation is that he doesn't see an opportunity here. There's actual proof for that, as the first rumblings that he wanted out came after he was sent down to the AHL (away from Edmonton and towards beautiful California).

So my suggestion is that we keep Broberg and make his contract worth it by accelerating his timeline. It's a gamble that can pay off huge. If it fails, it just means we have to trade him next summer. It's not like it's hard to find a Ceci level defender

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
He was actually one of our best defenseman in huge pressure situations, he was poised once he got it and was a huge calming influence, reminded me of Pronger that way. Of course he didn't get the time or situations but you could see the lights went on.
No, no he wasn't:
1723780545855.png

"In Games 1 and 2 of the cup finals, Broberg was then paired at right defence next to Brett Kulak, and although they did not allow any goals, they were significantly hemmed into their own zone and out-chanced by Florida.
Then, Broberg would play the final five games of the SCF with Darnell Nurse, his most common defensive partner in the playoffs. This pair had some very intriguing results.
On the bright side, the Oilers out-scored Florida 4 to 2 at 5v5 with that duo on-ice. In fact, this was the only Nurse pairing with a positive goal differential in the 2024 playoffs.
Furthermore, Broberg was Edmonton’s overall best defenceman at zone exits in the Stanley Cup Finals:"
"However, this pairing’s goal differential was extremely unsustainable.
The Nurse – Broberg pair was heavily outplayed by Florida in terms of shots, scoring chances and possession. With that duo on-ice at 5v5, the Oilers were outshot 23 to 38 and out-chanced 9 to 18 in terms of high-danger chances.
The pair’s positive goal share can primarily be attributed to a 17 percent on-ice shooting percentage and a 94.7 percent on-ice save percentage, resulting in a 1.12 PDO. For context, PDO is a stat that adds up on-ice SH% and SV%, and is often used as a proxy for puck luck. Most players will have a PDO of roughly 1.00, and historically, no defensive pair with over 500 minutes played has maintained a PDO above 1.03 in the era of advanced metrics in hockey"

"while Broberg did average the most controlled exits on the team, he also held the second-highest failed exit rate. He still held the second best controlled-to-failed-exit ratio, so overall, he was an effective puck-mover, but for the failed exits he did make, they would occasionally result in dangerous chances."

Facts don't care about your opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad