Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
this is just completely untrue and makes me wonder how much you even watched. Brown was the best PKer on the team while offensive production. He was arguably the best bottom 6er on the team. 6 points in 19 games with a +4 playing 11 minutes?

Yeah I'm not sure what Drive was watching if he thinks Brown was one of the worst forwards. He was arguably one of the best, especially when you consider the role he was playing. Brown in the regular season was trash for the first 50 or so games, but was pretty solid after that. In the playoffs he was simply fantastic. Couldn't have asked more from him really.

I agree that Perry was terrible though, and I still don't understand that re-signing myself, but whatever, we can bury him in the minors easily enough.

But playoff-Brown was simply fantastic, how could anybody come to a different conclusion?

Reactions: Salvaged Ship

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Ok so what do you do with the holes in the lineup then?

Because if you don't match either, you need to find a young depth guy with upside and a top 4 defender on a non-expiring contract. And you need to find both for less than 7 million.

Free Agency is over. Anything left is mostly guys that are 30+ or are fringe NHLers.

That realistically leaves a trade and trades for those guys right after we just had 2 guys swiped out from under us will be f***ING difficult because every god damn team will know what we're looking for and will blast trade prices for those pieces into the stratosphere.

We don't have anyone breaking down the door in our farm system either. Broberg was that guy, probably the only guy even knocking. Lavoie isn't ready and it's not a role fit for Savoie. There's no D options on the farm.

It's gonna be a tough pill to swallow for all of us when we watch season 3 of ceci-nurse and replace holloway with a 30+ year old guy half way into retirement.
Sounds like the regular season to me. Get used to it, future success will just make more of this.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Dude. Brobergs agent works on his behalf. If the agent requests a trade the player requests a trade.

Waiting for the summer for Broberg was the right move. He got an offer sheet. That wouldn’t have happened if he signed in January. Agent probably advised him to wait because there was no benefit for Broberg to sign when he had no leverage.

This is my view as well. For both players. Broberg as a small chance to get a better deal on his next contract, but I doubt it based on what’s he’s shown in his career so far.
I know Broberg’s agent works for him and present Allan Walsh…

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Sounds like an excellent late season ltir candidate who can come back for the playoffs.
Back injuries are scary. Hard to manage. Not as easy to manipulate via LTIR like a faking a long recovery on a sports hernia surgery. Back pain much harder to manage and treat.

And didn't Arvasson miss the playoffs two years ago against the Oilers so no guarantee he'll play thru injury either.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
his agent is Darren Ferris.
I know. I’m saying agents act how they want to act. You think Fleury approved Walsh going nuts and post the sword through his chest wearing the Vegas uniform? This isn’t even my information- just passing it along. Broberg was frusterated- his agent asked to speak to other teams- Broberg didn’t approve that- his agent thought it was the best for him. Holland and Broberg spoke- trade request was rescinded

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Back injuries are scary. Hard to manage. Not as easy to manipulate via LTIR like a faking a long recovery on a sports hernia surgery. Back pain much harder to manage and treat.

And didn't Arvasson miss the playoffs two years ago against the Oilers so no guarantee he'll play thru injury either.
Nobody plays through real injuries. Some play through painful or somewhat limiting range of motion stuff.

Reactions: McJedi

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It is irrelevant because it's a buriable contract. You could bury it anytime during the season.
The Perry contract isn't what prevented them from signing Broberg and Holloway, they didn't care about going over the cap as is so they could have done both if Broberg and Holloway were willing to sign at a lower number. You could go 10% over the cap in the offseason so JJ seemed willing to do just that.

With that said, I wasn't a fan of the signing but just because they signed Perry for cheap that doesn't mean they prioritized him over Broberg and Holloway. One has nothing to do with the other IMO.
I'm not claiming that I know anything about the mindset of Oilers management, it's just an opinion like yours is. Did you think they were prioritizing Derek Ryan over Kostin because they signed Ryan on July 1st and traded Kostin elsewhere? That doesn't make sense IMO. Kostin would have been traded either way, the Ryan signing had no bearing on that. It seems like Holloway and Broberg were signing the offer sheets anyway or waiting out an offer sheet option or Oilers management was playing hardball, the Perry signing had no bearing on that.
I dont agree at all.
A $1.15M contract should matter to a team that is pushing up against the cap and has no wiggle room.
That money was the money potentially allocated for Holloway.
To suggest that the GM looked at that deal and thought to himself that he can just bury it if need be is just not realisitic consdiering the reality of the cap sitatuion and the fact that burying that contract isnt going to happen before the season even starts.
If Jackson really felt that way then why sign Perry at all?
Every penny matters and the fact that they spent that money on a player that may not even be good enough to make the team is even more ridiculous.

Last edited:

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I dont agree at all.
A $1.15M contract should matter to a team that is pushing up against the cap and has no wiggle room.
That money was the money potentially allocated for Holloway.
To suggest that the GM looked at that deal and thought to himself that he can just bury it if need be is just not realisitic consdiering the reality of the cap sitatuion and the fact that burying that contract isnt going to happen before the season even starts.
If Jackson really felt that way then why sign Perry at all?
Every penny matters and the fact that they spent that money on a player that may not even be good enough to make the team is even more ridiculous.
Perry's contract is not the reason they couldnt offer Holloway his contract.

Reactions: McBooya42

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
I don't know how anyone can argue "Perry contract had nothing to do with this". It clearly did. Even if this didn't happen why isn't he getting a low base salary?

I'd easily rather have Holloway than Perry in this team and allocating Perry funds if 1.4 million plus the 1.25 million he's entitled to would have addressed this mess.

Perry's contract is not the reason they couldnt offer Holloway his contract.
Explain. You take the 1.4 to Perry and you give it to Holloway plus the ~1 mil already earmarked for Holloway.

• Haha
Reactions: Senor Catface

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I don't know how anyone can argue "Perry contract had nothing to do with this". It clearly did. Even if this didn't happen why isn't he getting a low base salary?

I'd easily rather have Holloway than Perry in this team and allocating Perry funds if 1.4 million plus the 1.25 million he's entitled to would have addressed this mess.

Explain. You take the 1.4 to Perry and you give it to Holloway plus the ~1 mil already earmarked for Holloway.
You understand how burying contracts works right?

So just run with 1 less player in your scenario.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
What if Troy Stecher was healthy and available for the playoffs. He would have drawn into the lineup before Broberg. Would he have fared as well? He might have been just as effective.

Stecher also recently signed for two years.

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022

HEY YOU AREN'T ALLOWED HERE!

Reactions: McJedi

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Reading the st louis board they actually think they can make the playoffs by adding these two fringe players at 3x their worth, lol

Along with the other moves and subtractions. Not just with these 2 guys. The Blues were a 92 pt team and easily added 10-15 points with all their moves…. And subtractions

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
Reading the st louis board they actually think they can make the playoffs by adding these two fringe players at 3x their worth, lol
It is almost as ridiculous as 80% of the Oiler fans on here just 5 months ago calling Broberg a bust. Most team fans overvalue prospects/young players. Most Oiler fans far undervalue them and are all about the what did you do for me last year. That is how e get the majority of fans who called for the Subban for Draisaitl trade, the Karlsson for Draisatil + trade, Bouch trade for peanuts, etc.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
My god we were damn close to a cup kept most of the roster intact and lost some of the least meaningful pieces.

Sure Holloway and Broberg could be great but they aren’t making the difference of cup or not this year or next with how buried they likely would be on the roster.

I am half convinced half the posters here don’t even have a grasp at the implications of matching both and are being emotional about it when really it is cup or bust for McDavid and can we do better than Holloway on our 4LW and Broberg at 2 or 3RD for $7M I am pretty sure the answer is yes and doesn’t require us to move out a better forward than Holloway by a fair margin to fit them after Kane is back. Use the cap at deadline we are a surefire contender without them already
It's not a one year Cup or Bust though. This is a team that has the competitive core to win multiple Championships if it's able to maintain its depth. Choosing to prioritize thirty-something supporting players like Ceci, Kulak and Kane because you're turned off by the idea of paying a player for what they may do in the future is something that may backfire when you're stuck with players who begin to regress due to age.

Holloway, I have on our third line next season playing a big chunk of his minutes with Henrique as his center. Both of these guys were poised to get favorable roles this season, sink or swim.

Reactions: aspin3

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021

They can just treat Arvidsson like Mark Stone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad