Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I cited the injuries and back surgeries. You can look it up if for some reason you don't believe me. The question to ask is whether Arvie can still be that production player now. If you think so then what precedent is there to come back strong from two back surgeries and lower body injuries in pro hockey?

Arvys game requires some mucking for pucks and physicality. I get that Oilers fans can be thrilled at having him. I would be too years ago. But we're getting this player now.
Injuries are bound to happen. We will talk about it when it happens. Right now he is a great addition to Drai's line

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
The precedent is 6 goals and 15 points in 18 games AFTER coming back from injury, AFTER the surgery. Did I not make myself clear on that? Haha
Unless he got another back surgery this offseason, the Oilers are getting the guy who was near a PPG down a playoff stretch with players not named Leon Draisaitl. I'll take that guy
I watched the same games you did. Too limited a sample and Arvy also got hurt and missed shifts in some of those games.

If Arviddson was healthy bill of goods I'd try a backflip and break my back. its not the one we're getting.

Guy is a warrior, has all the will, but the body might not be willing.

As far as the games when he came back in regular season he piled up some pts against some poor teams. 2G 1A against Chicago, got 2 pt games against other weak clubs.

It’s not a big deal to me if you add me to your ignore list. You do you.

It’s just negativity out of your mouth post after post.
You're being a great poster here? You've stirred with multiple posters just today. Being purposely combative. you do you.

"just negativity" I was one of around 3 posters here that were saying the Oilers would be able to turn the season around when we were 2-9-1.

I was one of the few here applauding and open to the KK hire. Or getting Kane, or getting Henrique, etc.

Last edited:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I watched the same games you did. Too limited a sample and Arvy also got hurt and missed shifts in some of those games.

If Arviddson was healthy bill of goods I'd try a backflip and break my back. its not the one we're getting.

Guy is a warrior, has all the will, but the body might not be willing.

As far as the games when he came back in regular season he piled up some pts against some poor teams. 2G 1A against Chicago, got 2 pt games against other weak clubs.
But he is healthy. He came back from injury and put up those numbers and is currently healthy as far as we know. You can nitpick the numbers all you want (and btw one of those goals against Chicago won them that last game and bumped them up in the playoff seed) but you asked me for a precedent post-surgery and I gave you one so you can interpret that how you want.

As I said, he's 31 so maybe he falls off the map and you're right that he has little left but this guy has been and continues to be a good player so based on his entire track record I'm willing to think that the Oilers are getting a good player here.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
lol Arvy was -3 and the worst player on the ice in game one. Didn't score a goal either. He kind of made some inroads in game 5 but with the series already over. Really he wasn't good.
I actually wonder if you watched the playoffs with your takes today.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
But he is healthy. He came back from injury and put up those numbers and is currently healthy as far as we know. You can nitpick the numbers all you want (and btw one of those goals against Chicago won them that last game and bumped them up in the playoff seed) but you asked me for a precedent post-surgery and I gave you one so you can interpret that how you want.

As I said, he's 31 so maybe he falls off the map and you're right that he has little left but this guy has been and continues to be a good player so based on his entire track record I'm willing to think that the Oilers are getting a good player here.
In hockey back injuries can be endemic and recurring. They often lead to careers ending. Even to talents as bright as Gretzky, Simpson, just citing some past Oilers had to stop playing due to back injuries.

Arviddson is unlikely to be the same player coming back from two back surgeries and lower body injuries. He was even hurt in two of his comeback games and had to leave the ice and not come back in a Columbus game.

Not sure how you declare him completely healthy. Hockey is extremely hard on backs.

lol the Arvy goal against Chicago bumped them up to be playing the Oilers. A curse. ;) Was a mixed blessing.

Getting Arvy in 2020 would've been great. but its 2024.

Sure Arvie is a good player. Question is what does he have left to give given his health.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I wonder if this will end up with the Oilers winning the cup and also drafting early in the 2nd and 3rd rounds
I have an immense amount of schadenfreude for the Blues now. Never disliked them before....but now....

tumblr_9c2bb31a897ba5296530051a0c92c700_fa00c6bb_500.gif

Reactions: McDrai and Oilhawks

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
You're wrong actually. He and Nurse had incredible puck luck that wouldn't be sustainable:

"while Broberg did average the most controlled exits on the team, he also held the second-highest failed exit rate."

This whole idea that Broberg did awesome in the playoffs is a bit of a shiny package with a turd inside. He was decent on the left side with Ceci, but pretty awful on his off side.

So he'd be good as a Kulak replacement, but not at 4.6 million x 2. He's not able to play on his off side with Nurse effectively, and once again especially not at 4.6 x 2.

That's fine,, that's your opinion, mines different you don't let good young developing defensemen with huge upside leave ever if you want to be successful. He gets it now and will play a great game next year from what I saw. Losing him will be a huge mistake as he can easily develop into a #1 D and they are worth far more than $4 mil. Mark these posts we shall see who's right?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I wonder if this will end up with the Oilers winning the cup and also drafting early in the 2nd and 3rd rounds
The Blues have not been Chi, Ana, SJ, CBJ bad. Ana was worst and 3rd worst, SJ 4th worst and worst, Chi 3rd worst and 2nd worst, CBJ 2nd worst and 4th worst the past 2 seasons.

Blues drafted at 10 and 16 the past 2 seasons. Kind of that middling kind of team. Some good players like Thomas, Parayko, Buch, Faulk, etc. but not enough to be a PO team. But, not bad enough to be at the bottom to land a high draft pick.

Don't see them being bottom 3 bad. Seem like a 10-16 pick OA again this season unless one or two of Neighbours, Broberg, a goalie or someone steps up big for them. They should finish ahead of SJ, Ana, Chi again in the west and likely Cal as well. Would be shocked if the 2nd was before pick 40.

Reactions: Blueswin

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Unfortunate that it came to this, I want to see both players signed, however not signing Broberg will be a huge mistake talked about for years. He is just starting to come into his own, the way he played in the toughest games of the season was amazing. He very well could be our best defensemen by years end. $4 million will look like nothing.
Amazing? He got absolutely shit on in the finals in every metric except on ice shooting, you must think his 18% is sustainable

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Arvidsson misses around 20 games per season when you look at his play history. He's had durability issues since the year 2018 and is now 31 years old. Will be interesting to see if his health holds up.

Very good player or was in his Nashville days, but his 3 year run in LA was a lot more checked.
Sounds like an excellent late season ltir candidate who can come back for the playoffs.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
That's fine,, that's your opinion, mines different you don't let good young developing defensemen with huge upside leave ever if you want to be successful. He gets it now and will play a great game next year from what I saw. Losing him will be a huge mistake as he can easily develop into a #1 D and they are worth far more than $4 mil. Mark these posts we shall see who's right?
It has nothing to do with opinion, but actual facts lol. Opinion? :laugh: He sucked on the right hand side - that is a FACT.

Reactions: Tobias Kahun

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
When / if he’s actually worth 4.6 million his contract will be up. He’s not even close currently.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Unfortunate that it came to this, I want to see both players signed, however not signing Broberg will be a huge mistake talked about for years. He is just starting to come into his own, the way he played in the toughest games of the season was amazing. He very well could be our best defensemen by years end. $4 million will look like nothing.
So he's going to go from barely making the team last year to becoming our top D by the end of next year? Man do I have a bridge to sell you! We'll start the negotiations with you sharing what you're smoking...

The actual balls to proclaim that Broberg could be better than Ek and Bouch by the years end...:laugh:He did NOT play amazing. He just didn't.

In 81 games:
1723752046182.png

In the playoffs:
1723752064558.png

Reactions: McShogun99

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
So he's going to go from barely making the team last year to becoming our top D by the end of next year? Man do I have a bridge to sell you! We'll start the negotiations with you sharing what you're smoking...

The actual balls to proclaim that Broberg could be better than Ek and Bouch by the years end...:laugh:He did NOT play amazing. He just didn't.

In 81 games:
View attachment 901259

In the playoffs:
View attachment 901260

Blues are likely robbing us to ever properly evaluating Broberg, but for sure his only legitimately good performances were on the 3rd pair with super sheltered ice time. I would bet that's exactly how his next season ends up too ... for a 4.5M cap hit, after an experiment babysitting Nurse goes horribly wrong. The critique of him forever has been not having the hockey sense to match his physical ability. We actually have a guy on this team already exactly like that who we gave the moon to for a run of luck (with a little extra on top because of friendships).

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I think a #1D is a bit of a stretch, more likely he tops out as a really good second pairing guy. Also it’s hard to say for sure that he would develop the same way on a Cup contender vs a meh team where he’ll have a lot more room to grow.

Personally, I think he’s still growing as a player and will still be prone to inconsistencies but if you’re going to sign an offer sheet and force your Cup contending team to pay you like a second pairing defender then you better be damn sure you’re going to be able to back it up and consistently perform in second pairing minutes and competition.

That’s where I see the risk as being too great, I think the pressure of living up to that cap hit immediately would be too great and he would crumble and they wouldn’t be able to shelter him at that point. Matching that offer leaves them in a position where they’ll have to trade at least one guy who the coaching staff could use to shelter Broberg if he struggled, it also handcuffs them on upgrading if he’s not ready to play top 4 well enough full time. That is an insane amount of pressure because after the way you went about signing that contract, if you don’t live up to that deal immediately the fans and media are going to be so far up your ass it’s going to make life very uncomfortable and would likely shoot his confidence to shit.

Reactions: McBooya42

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
If we match Broberg. I don't think the players are going to be thrill with losing both Kulak and Ceci
Im not in favor of matching for Broberg. With that said we need to stop this country club atmosphere here. I don't care who Cody ceci is friends with. This isn't high school it's a job.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Im not in favor of matching for Broberg. With that said we need to stop this country club atmosphere here. I don't care who Cody ceci is friends with. This isn't high school it's a job.
That's not the point. The Oilers are losing 2 players cause 1 kid took 3 times his pay. Now the defense is watered down

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
That's not the point. The Oilers are losing 2 players cause 1 kid took 3 times his pay. Now the defense is watered down
Yes and if they decide he's better than Cody ceci so be it. We have plenty of players I've the years that have gotten a lot more than they deserved.

I think they'll let Broberg walk but upsetting the team is a silly reason to do or not do soenthing.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007

In 81 games:
View attachment 901259

In the playoffs:
View attachment 901260
He only needs to be the 3rd best defensmen. Which he pretty much is already. Nurse will be better (has to be!!!) but Broberg is better than Ceci and different but possibly better than Kulac. Better than Vinny, Brown and Stetcher as well. Any injuries on D and we are f***ed.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad