Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
The Kings were horrible. Anybody was doing OK in that series. The Kings barely contested.
Why play Broberg in the LA when you can save his body for the bigger fishes? Like I said, our worst enemies were the injuries. Bringing in Broberg sooner means he going to wear down sooner and would have probably gotten exposed sooner.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
This is all fair. The most accurate part being until it isn't.

I don't think anyone has ever batted an eye at RFA's like this being unsigned long into the summer because I can't ever remember a time where a team was double whammied with offer sheets as a means to secure a player. I also don't think it's uncommon because most GM's have well thought out contingency plans for it, or because they always lock up players making said sheets irrelevant. Just that managers tend not to rock a boat like this. But I could always be wrong.

I hope it becomes more commonplace.
This was a perfect storm for the Oilers.

Now moving out of covid stalled cap era with strong projected and sustaining growth I'm not sure it will necessarily result in more successful RF offer sheet signings. But all management are on full alert that not prioritizing your restricted free agent signings can and will be weaponized if they sleep on re-signing in-house talent.

This is pretty much the first year of free market value contracts choosing to sign in Edmonton. Unfortunately management got caught napping and either lose a big piece of young future NHL talent or overspend the market to build the vision for a sustaining winning window.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Kings were overmatched but incredibly physical.
No, they weren't. It was the worst Kings performance, by miles against us. Good for the Oil, but how easy the series was didn't prep us very well for the round 2.

Drew Doughty was even on record saying the Oilers had their number. That said only he and Kopitar and Kempe even put up a fight. The rest were passengers.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
3 pages in 30 minutes (including should be universally ignored posters’ posts), maybe an update on the situation? Oh, nevermind.

We may as well log in on August 20th. I’m pretty sure Oilers brass will make St.Louis, Holloway, Broberg and their agents wait the full week while also exploring their options.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
This was a perfect storm for the Oilers.

Now moving out of covid stalled cap era with strong projected and sustaining growth I'm not sure it will necessarily result in more successful RF offer sheet signings. But all management are on full alert that not prioritizing your restricted free agent signings can and will be weaponized if they sleep on re-signing in-house talent.

This is pretty much the first year of free market value contracts choosing to sign in Edmonton. Unfortunately management got caught napping and either lose a big piece of young future NHL talent or overspend the market to build the vision for a sustaining winning window.
Armstrong really impressed me with this one.

The dirty rat.

Reactions: Blueswin

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Wild how much people color narratives on Connor Brown. Has he really been that much here on the whole? 5M for two yrs of a player who's only contribution at all is on pk?

The same team balked at paying McLeod who is a development player that has future upside and is the fastest player on the team along with McD.

The amount of time Connor Brown was completely useless here supersedes the one to two weeks he looked valid here. At least to me.

Brown finally deciding to show up well into the playoffs doesnt' erase how bad his season or most of playoffs was.

EV, Brown was terrible all playoffs and regular season.

Not dodging anything. Looking at the contribution on the whole. Gonna take a lot more than what Connor Brown delivered to impress me much...
Foegele sure looked like one of those fastest guys on the team. He's an awesome skater.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Foegele sure looked like one of those fastest guys on the team. He's an awesome skater.
You're tempting me back in but Oilers lose a lot of pace and energy players in not having McLeod, Foegele, Bro, and Holloway. You can lose some of that and get away with it but really the cumulative loss is going to feature in some way. I wasn't a Foegele fan but he did make scoring contributions.

Reactions: belair and Echodek

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Someone's still hemorrhaging from the McLeod trade. Remember the most cowardly player in Oilers
Wild how much people color narratives on Connor Brown. Has he really been that much here on the whole? 5M for two yrs of a player who's only contribution at all is on pk?

The same team balked at paying McLeod who is a development player that has future upside and is the fastest player on the team along with McD.

The amount of time Connor Brown was completely useless here supersedes the one to two weeks he looked valid here. At least to me.

Brown finally deciding to show up well into the playoffs doesnt' erase how bad his season or most of playoffs was.

EV, Brown was terrible all playoffs and regular season.

Not dodging anything. Looking at the contribution on the whole. Gonna take a lot more than what Connor Brown delivered to impress me much...
Brown had a better P/60 in the playoffs than McLeod despite playing on the 4th line and was better on the Pk statistically and visually. Brown and Janmarks work on the PK is a huge reason we got past Dallas.

I won’t sit here and say he was worth his last contract because that’s not true. Brown @ 1 million though is fantastic.

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon
Did you forget Brown had only 2 goals in 4 playoff rounds and was so bad in playoffs at one point (and all season) that he was HS repeatedly?

Perry and Brown were easily the worst forwards on the Oilers team last season and playoffs.

But here we are with both these sods continued.
Brown was only scratched the first round, before even playing. Once he was in, he was awesome.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
This isn't true, both statistically and it's even reported that Broberg himself hates the right side.

Broberg is actually very strong whenever he plays LD, which is causing me a little bit of pause because he was mostly tossed on the right side. His best performances of the playoffs in the Stars series was on the left side next to Ceci when Kulak moved up to babysit Nurse.

A coaching mistake that doesn't get talked about was moving Kulak down to 3LD and Broberg up to play with Nurse on the account that Kulak doesn't feel comfortable on the right side. The Kulak - Nurse pair was way better than with Broberg, and Broberg played by far his best hockey on the left side on the third pair.
This is the biggest problem with matching the offer sheet, besides the fact that it's an overpayment. If he is indeed fixated on playing the left side then you're stuck with paying a 3rd pairing Dman $4.6m/yr for the next 2 years because there's no path for him in the top 4 on the left side anytime soon even with Nurse's issues so if they do match this is more of a long term investment hoping that he's an Ekholm replacement down the line type of thing.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I think Arvidsson is gonna be a good player for us, he reminds me a bit of what I felt about Hyman before he signed with us ... I really was annoyed at playing against him because he always seemed to be hurting us. Total pain in the ass to play against.
Arvidsson misses around 20 games per season when you look at his play history. He's had durability issues since the year 2018 and is now 31 years old. Will be interesting to see if his health holds up.

Very good player or was in his Nashville days, but his 3 year run in LA was a lot more checked.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
You're tempting me back in but Oilers lose a lot of pace and energy players in not having McLeod, Foegele, Bro, and Holloway. You can lose some of that and get away with it but really the cumulative loss is going to feature in some way. I wasn't a Foegele fan but he did make scoring contributions.
True, but lets not kid ourselves here, Holloway played 38 games for us last season and had 9 points…we aren’t really going to miss that and broberg played 12 games, I wouldn’t add these to the conversation what we will be missing next year, they barely contributed last year.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Broberg is a pretty slick skater I think. Can never have enough of that. I think we retain Holloway and he replaces Foegele pretty smoothly though.

But I also like Conor Brown so I can see why we might think the loss will be felt differently :D

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Did you forget Brown had only 2 goals in 4 playoff rounds and was so bad in playoffs at one point (and all season) that he was HS repeatedly?

Perry and Brown were easily the worst forwards on the Oilers team last season and playoffs.

Sorry but this is bullocks. Brown was very impactful in the playoffs especially in the last two rounds, you're letting your hatred of the player blind you. Perry stunk though, that's true.

The two worst forwards were McLeod and Perry in the playoffs. Foegele was poor until the Florida series. Janmark and Brown were aces and saved the Oilers bacon tbh with timely goals and expert PKing.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
This is the biggest problem with matching the offer sheet, besides the fact that it's an overpayment. If he is indeed fixated on playing the left side then you're stuck with paying a 3rd pairing Dman $4.6m/yr for the next 2 years because there's no path for him in the top 4 on the left side anytime soon even with Nurse's issues so if they do match this is more of a long term investment hoping that he's an Ekholm replacement down the line type of thing.
Aside from the $, which was the main thing, having 2 vet RHD (Faulk/Parayko) and a 3rd RHD in Matt Kessel, STL allows Broberg the opportunity to play the Left Side.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
Agreed. This was a terrible mistake by Edmonton. They have to sign him

We have more than enough depth on forward. Why would you let the potential top 4 dman go after you only have 3 top 4 dmen?

Letting him go is not smart

Because I dont want to pay 5 Mil for a dman because ~10 game NHL sample size. This team is on the precipice of a chip, every dollar counts. Hard decisions have to be made.

Reactions: Macblender

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017

this is just completely untrue and makes me wonder how much you even watched. Brown was the best PKer on the team while offensive production. He was arguably the best bottom 6er on the team. 6 points in 19 games with a +4 playing 11 minutes?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad