Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Macblender

May 5, 2014
My god we were damn close to a cup kept most of the roster intact and lost some of the least meaningful pieces.

Sure Holloway and Broberg could be great but they aren’t making the difference of cup or not this year or next with how buried they likely would be on the roster.

I am half convinced half the posters here don’t even have a grasp at the implications of matching both and are being emotional about it when really it is cup or bust for McDavid and can we do better than Holloway on our 4LW and Broberg at 2 or 3RD for $7M I am pretty sure the answer is yes and doesn’t require us to move out a better forward than Holloway by a fair margin to fit them after Kane is back. Use the cap at deadline we are a surefire contender without them already

Reactions: McDrai

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
It was him and Janmark holding down that PK. Takes 5 seconds to look up the playoff PK numbers.

The 4th line became better than our 3rd line also or do you forget that?
Did you forget Brown had only 2 goals in 4 playoff rounds and was so bad in playoffs at one point (and all season) that he was HS repeatedly?

Perry and Brown were easily the worst forwards on the Oilers team last season and playoffs.

But here we are with both these sods continued.

Reactions: McJedi

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Its not irrelevant. Any agent of a young player will suss out what the orgs plans at the positions seems to be and in the case of the Oilres its seemingly wanting to fill the cupboard with journeyman forwards instead of raising their own.

In the case of Broberg how is he or his agent supposed to feel that the org wasted so much time on absolute nothing desharnais, who they realized was useless and let walk, instead of playing the talented Broberg. Its ironic that Desharnais was so much a liability the Oilers were forced to stop playing him in playoffs, Replaced by Broberg who was immediately better.

The management of either player was a gongshow. That Desharnais had the 6-7 gig at all instead of Broberg was a joke.
The agent is thinking more about how Broberg can leverage him more $$ than about Broberg's well being.

The Oilers playing Desharnais while he was good and giving Broberg some time in AHL to marinate and it did wonders for him. As a young kid like Broberg, he should be looking back with fondness that the path the Oilers took has actually helped him than set him back.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
As has already been explained to you multiple times, Neither Brown nor Perry matter here as they're buryable and Arvidsson has a pretty good chance at outscoring both Holloway and Broberg combined even if he really is out due to injury by Christmas.

So yeah I'm still pretty on board with the plan here.
Hundo p I take Arvidsson and Skinner over Holloway and Broberg this year. Long term, who knows, but those guys are massive for the team this upcoming year.

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
My god we were damn close to a cup kept most of the roster intact and lost some of the least meaningful pieces.

Sure Holloway and Broberg could be great but they aren’t making the difference of cup or not this year or next with how buried they likely would be on the roster.

I am half convinced half the posters here don’t even have a grasp at the implications of matching both and are being emotional about it when really it is cup or bust for McDavid and can we do better than Holloway on our 4LW and Broberg at 2 or 3RD for $7M I am pretty sure the answer is yes and doesn’t require us to move out a better forward than Holloway by a fair margin to fit them after Kane is back. Use the cap at deadline we are a surefire contender without them already
Broberg would NOT be buried on the roster. he would be playing top 4 by half-way point for sure if not at the start of the season. You DO NOT replace Holloway's size and skill which are bothe needed for the playoffs by Derek Ryan

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
It's not about assigning blame but rather accountability, imo. This was a largely controllable situation that was misjudged by Oilers management despite a wide range of public cautionary warnings by media and Blues GM directly. Slow cook re-signing one's restricted free agents works ... until it doesn't.

Deflecting blame to young players given opportunity to make double and quadruple money is shortsighted. Think it is something likely anyone would do. Bake in too erratic, poor development both experienced since their respective draft days.

A management group with Jackson whom I think is a really savvy hire just walked itself into an incredible poison pill that hollows out this old team's best NHL ready talent.
This is all fair. The most accurate part being until it isn't.

I don't think anyone has ever batted an eye at RFA's like this being unsigned long into the summer because I can't ever remember a time where a team was double whammied with offer sheets as a means to secure a player. I also don't think it's uncommon because most GM's have well thought out contingency plans for it, or because they always lock up players making said sheets irrelevant. Just that managers tend not to rock a boat like this. But I could always be wrong.

I hope it becomes more commonplace.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
The agent is thinking more about how Broberg can leverage him more $$ than about Broberg's well being.

The Oilers playing Desharnais while he was good and giving Broberg some time in AHL to marinate and it did wonders for him. As a young kid like Broberg, he should be looking back with fondness that the path the Oilers took has actually helped him than set him back.
VD was not a valid playoff option and it cost us dearly in the Vancouver series. Contributions like his and Skinners in that round almost sunk us. The team came to its senses and pulled VD and inserted Broberg.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
3 pages in 30 minutes (including should be universally ignored posters’ posts), maybe an update on the situation? Oh, nevermind.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Broberg would NOT be buried on the roster. he would be playing top 4 by half-way point for sure if not at the start of the season. You DO NOT replace Holloway's size and skill which are bothe needed for the playoffs by Derek Ryan

You have to have a deal basically you're sure can go through for Evander Kane this season if you want to keep Holloway. Which given the fact that he has term left on his contract and would be coming off major surgery, you're probably looking at a minimum spend of a 2nd to find a taker for him, maybe a 1st.

That's kind of the problem.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Yes, that’s what I’m saying.

Thats why I think the reported ask are BS and those weren’t realistically on the table in late June. If you advised them to sign those deals you’d be a terrible agent because they would have left millions on the table.
This is where it becomes a game of truth and rumor.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Where did I belittle him? I pointed out a FACT. Get off your high horse.
Belittle means to make something/someone
seem unimportant.
"this is not to belittle his role"

Which is exactly what you did by attributing him worth to being out scored by Ryan and Perry.

There’s no morality attached to my comment or the definition of belittle. So there is no “high horse” to get off of.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
The entries reason this team is over the barrel is because of their bad cap decisions. It's insanity to get even more aggressive with overpayments.

Only logical thing to do is take the compensation and hope that Jackson and Bowman are better at finding talent for the team.

Reactions: Duke74

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Did you forget Brown had only 2 goals in 4 playoff rounds and was so bad in playoffs at one point (and all season) that he was HS repeatedly?

Perry and Brown were easily the worst forwards on the Oilers team last season and playoffs.

But here we are with both these sods continued.
I admit he was terrible in the regular season. His skating at the start of the season and the end + playoffs were night and day though. I wonder why that is?

You keep saying he was one of the worst forwards in the playoffs but yet dodge everything that proves otherwise.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
VD was not a valid playoff option and it cost us dearly in the Vancouver series. Contributions like his and Skinners in that round almost sunk us. The team came to its senses and pulled VD and inserted Broberg.
Vinny was fine in the LA series. Broberg was brought in the right time. Looking back, there was really no bad move. We missed the cup by 2 goals. If the Oilers were healthy we would have won.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
This. Wild how people colour things in ways to suit narratives. Brown was amazing on the pk with Janny.
Wild how much people color narratives on Connor Brown. Has he really been that much here on the whole? 5M for two yrs of a player who's only contribution at all is on pk?

The same team balked at paying McLeod who is a development player that has future upside and is the fastest player on the team along with McD.

The amount of time Connor Brown was completely useless here supersedes the one to two weeks he looked valid here. At least to me.

Brown finally deciding to show up well into the playoffs doesnt' erase how bad his season or most of playoffs was.

EV, Brown was terrible all playoffs and regular season.

I admit he was terrible in the regular season. His skating at the start of the season and the end + playoffs were night and day though. I wonder why that is?

You keep saying he was one of the worst forwards in the playoffs but yet dodge everything that proves otherwise.
Not dodging anything. Looking at the contribution on the whole. Gonna take a lot more than what Connor Brown delivered to impress me much...

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Wild how much people color narratives on Connor Brown. Has he really been that much here on the whole? 5M for two yrs of a player who's only contribution at all is on pk?

The same team balked at paying McLeod who is a development player that has future upside and is the fastest player on the team along with McD.

The amount of time Connor Brown was completely useless here supersedes the one to two weeks he looked valid here. At least to me.

Brown finally deciding to show up well into the playoffs doesnt' erase how bad his season or most of playoffs was.

If McLeod is still here, there's no Savoie. Are you saying we should redo the trade? haha

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Belittle means to make something/someone
seem unimportant.
"this is not to belittle his role"

Which is exactly what you did by attributing him worth to being out scored by Ryan and Perry.

There’s no morality attached to my comment or the definition of belittle. So there is no “high horse” to get off of.
Sorry Mrs. Brown.

• Haha
Reactions: Drivesaitl

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Not dodging anything. Looking at the contribution on the whole. Gonna take a lot more than what Connor Brown delivered to impress me much...

I wouldn't agree with all that.

He was +4 playing almost mainly on the bottom 6 in the playoffs which is respectable and was a monster on the PK. He has good chemistry with Janmark.

He's the 2nd lowest paid forward on the team after Derek Ryan with a salary that's entirely waivable.

He's not that old either having just turned 30 (still within the prime age range for a forward) and can skate.

Reactions: Oilslick941611

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
If McLeod is still here, there's no Savoie. Are you saying we should redo the trade? haha
In all honesty I don't have the measure of Savoie. But none of us really do when it comes to what NHL career will be.
I wouldn't agree with all that.

He was +4 playing almost mainly on the bottom 6 in the playoffs which is respectable and was a monster on the PK. He has good chemistry with Janmark.

He's the 2nd lowest paid forward on the team after Derek Ryan with a salary that's entirely waivable.

He's not that old either having just turned 30 (still within the prime age range for a forward) and can skate.
Its creative to say Brown is the 2nd lowest paid player on the team. Are we forgetting the deferred amount?

Whatever way people want to slice it we've paid Brown what 5M for 2 seasons?

Reactions: brentashton

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad