Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I look at it a bit differently. This season and last when your team is adding a buncha of old hockey players like Perry, Brown, Arvie, Skinner than its a signal that minutes will be limited for topsix, or for anything, for other young forwards.

The Oilers have gone so hard in a vets direction that they around the oldest team in the league and getting older.

Its the thing that whenever the Oilers sign some vet people are going nuts how good a move this is when really the cap reality is that there will be player cost down the road. i.e. losing players.

Unfortunately its the young fast players that play with pace that we are losing.

But a lot of fans always seem to prefer the "name" players over development players. Which is odd to see on Hockey futures.

Perry and Ryan should be relegated to being temp roster players as the season goes along. Too old.

Find some younger role players.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I think we're mostly on the same page. Without a doubt they gambled and lost.

I just don't blame management for adding real pieces when they had the chance and taking the really rather small risk that some team would lose it's mind and send a prospect with no track record an offersheet that has a middle pairing AAV. I think it was a smart gamble and one that most teams in the league make all the time.
Real pieces like Connor Brown, Do nothing Perry, and injured half the time Arvidsson. I would put it at greater than half a chance that Arvy is missing games due to injury by Christmas.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
I think we're mostly on the same page. Without a doubt they gambled and lost.

I just don't blame management for adding real pieces when they had the chance and taking the really rather small risk that some team would lose it's mind and send a prospect with no track record an offersheet that has a middle pairing AAV. I think it was a smart gamble and one that most teams in the league make all the time.
Maybe it sounds like I'm blaming management, but it's not exactly what I feel. I can respect the gamble, even if it backfired. But them having an idea of what it would take to sign the kids and choosing to lowball instead put the ball in the court of the team imo, and the two kids should be applauded for doing what's best for them, not ragged on for not being team players.

With respect to Broberg, honestly, I would have been more than okay giving him what his reported ask was. He looked great on the biggest possible stage. Seems to have put it together. I'd have forgone two of Henrique, Arvidsson and Skinner to bring back Holloway and Broberg on raises.

I'm also okay that they went with Henrique, Skinner and Arvy. This is just an unfortunate consequence of that.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I do also have to say, It's kind of dumb for people to question the loyalty of these players.

Look at Ryan McLeod. He took a discount when we needed him too, and we still had no problem trading him away. Which is totally fine, thats the business. But the business goes both ways.

These players know that being loyal now and taking a cut is no guarantee of return loyalty.
Well worded and not at all wrong.

Reactions: Blueswin

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I look at it a bit differently. This season and last when your team is adding a buncha of old hockey players like Perry, Brown, Arvie, Skinner than its a signal that minutes will be limited for topsix, or for anything, for other young forwards.

The Oilers have gone so hard in a vets direction that they around the oldest team in the league and getting older.

Its the thing that whenever the Oilers sign some vet people are going nuts how good a move this is when really the cap reality is that there will be player cost down the road. i.e. losing players.

Unfortunately its the young fast players that play with pace that we are losing.

But a lot of fans always seem to prefer the "name" players over development players. Which is odd to see on Hockey futures.
I'm sure McDrai had something to say about that. They probably want to play with experienced players that know what they're doing and where to be and not just hitting anything that moves.

McLeod for Savoie and 3 ELC years is getting younger

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Real pieces like Connor Brown, Do nothing Perry, and injured half the time Arvidsson. I would put it at greater than half a chance that Arvy is missing games due to injury by Christmas.

As has already been explained to you multiple times, Neither Brown nor Perry matter here as they're buryable and Arvidsson has a pretty good chance at outscoring both Holloway and Broberg combined even if he really is out due to injury by Christmas.

So yeah I'm still pretty on board with the plan here.

Reactions: North Cole

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Maybe it sounds like I'm blaming management, but it's not exactly what I feel. I can respect the gamble, even if it backfired. But them having an idea of what it would take to sign the kids and choosing to lowball instead put the ball in the court of the team imo, and the two kids should be applauded for doing what's best for them, not ragged on for not being team players.

With respect to Broberg, honestly, I would have been more than okay giving him what his reported ask was. He looked great on the biggest possible stage. Seems to have put it together. I'd have forgone two of Henrique, Arvidsson and Skinner to bring back Holloway and Broberg on raises.

Two of them ... eh I dunno, that would leave us pretty thin in the top 6.

1.65 for Broberg and 1.5 for Holloway probably would've gotten in done in July, if 1.8 was Broberg's camp's ask you can probably assume you could negotiate that down a little bit.

That probably puts them out on Henrique.

Reactions: oXo Cube

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Broberg didn’t ask for a trade- his agent did. Apparently, according to the boys on EST Holland and Broberg had a good relationship and this ask was driven by the agent unannounced to the player.

AHL players sign contracts all the time. Broberg’s incentive would be that he is signed for another contract. Everyone here had Broberg in trade proposals and had given up on him. If he didn’t play in the playoffs this year- he is qualified by the Oilers and he signs. I love how every poster asking “why would he sign- he would get a bigger offer in the summer” forgot what they thought of him last year.
Dude. Brobergs agent works on his behalf. If the agent requests a trade the player requests a trade.

Waiting for the summer for Broberg was the right move. He got an offer sheet. That wouldn’t have happened if he signed in January. Agent probably advised him to wait because there was no benefit for Broberg to sign when he had no leverage.

Exactly. Going to St. Louis would get Holloway on the PTO quicker. Whereas the Oilers(McDavid) could have hid his flaws
This is my view as well. For both players. Broberg as a small chance to get a better deal on his next contract, but I doubt it based on what’s he’s shown in his career so far.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
They shouldn't be here period. They certainly shouldn't be extended.

As temp players I don't have a huge issue with it, but given that all of Holloway, Foegele, McLeod could be gone, they're too old long term to be counted on to replace those types of players.

Gonna need to find some speed/youth on the market as the season goes on.

If you can sign like someone like a Kubalik right now I'd probably do that too.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I'm sure McDrai had something to say about that. They probably want to play with experienced players that know what they're doing and where to be and not just hitting anything that moves.

Draisaitl shouldn't be forced to play with offenseless stone handed players. McLeod, Foegele and now Holloway are gone.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.

McD by now shouldn't even be consulted on what players he feels would be helpful. His track record on that is truly awful.

Drai not much better. Yams would still be here getting drilled into the boards if it was up to Drai.

I love the players but their appraisal of useful others is non existent.

Reactions: brentashton

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Two of them ... eh I dunno, that would leave us pretty thin in the top 6.

1.65 for Broberg and 1.4 for Holloway probably would've gotten in done in July, if 1.8 was Broberg's camp's ask you can probably assume you could negotiate that down a little bit.

That probably puts them out on Henrique.
I don't consider Henrique a top 6 guy. Imo ideally he's on the third line. I'd have been okay with Broberg and Holloway over Henrique and Skinner. Arvidsson is a high risk high reward gamble with his injuries, but I still sign him anyways.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Broberg and Holloway aren’t exactly iron men themselves.

Brown was a huge contributor in the playoffs but I get you are too stubborn to admit that. Brown at 1 million is exactly the type of thing you want for a playoff run.

Reactions: harpoon

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I don't consider Henrique a top 6 guy. Imo ideally he's on the third line. I'd have been okay with Broberg and Holloway over Henrique and Skinner. Arvidsson is a high risk high reward gamble with his injuries, but I still sign him anyways.

Arvidsson is injury prone as you said, so basically if he's hurt we would have added nothing to our top 6 wings which is probably the main reason we lost in the Cup final.

In hindsight I think they pass on signing Henrique.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
As has already been explained to you multiple times, Neither Brown nor Perry matter here as they're buryable and Arvidsson has a pretty good chance at outscoring both Holloway and Broberg combined even if he really is out due to injury by Christmas.

So yeah I'm still pretty on board with the plan here.
Good luck with that plan then.

I'm sick of seeing either Brown or Perry even being Oilers.

Whether they can be buried or not there is zero basis for them even being retained.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Glad to see that by page 80 we are all on the same page.

These two guy did not play an integral part in getting us to the playoffs and/or to game 7 of the final.

How can we ask others to leave money on the table and cave and match these inflated offers.

The offers are both 1 dollar less than the next compensation thresholds. 1 dollar more and we get a 1st and a 3rd for Broberg. Its like he gave the Org the finger.

There gone. time to move on from them.
100 percent.

But i disagree with them giving the finger. The blues gave us the finger. The players are just securing their future and families. I have zero ill will towards the players. They aren’t integral parts of our team and it’s an easy walk from me.

Reactions: 9GWG9 and oXo Cube

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
McD by now shouldn't even be consulted on what players he feels would be helpful. His track record on that is truly awful.

Drai not much better. Yams would still be here getting drilled into the boards if it was up to Drai.

They mostly asked for skilled players to play with and Jackson went and got Arviddson and Skinner. Hyman, Kane, Barrie might all be McDavid's moves. The most obviously ones were Brown, Jackson and Knob and it paid off in the playoffs

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Good luck with that plan then.

I'm sick of seeing either Brown or Perry even being Oilers.

Whether they can be buried or not there is zero basis for them even being retained.

For a million bucks Brown is fine, it's the $3+ million bonus hole that Holland left us on his that sucks, but he was a dominant PK guy.

Reactions: ujju2 and Blueswin

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.

was a huge contributor in the playBrown offs but I get you are too stubborn to admit that. Brown at 1 million is exactly the type of thing you want for a playoff run.
This is absolute fiction. Brown was not a huge contributor in playoffs. He didn't even show up until well into the playoffs. he had 2 goals and was even HS on multiple nights.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018

Agreed. But they are most likely being asked their opinions on things like that. It happens in any walk of work. But are they deciding, absolutely no. That would be foolhardy to believe that they are. It may be more a case that the GM is too eager to please versus do his damn job.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020

Brown was a huge contributor in the playoffs but I get you are too stubborn to admit that. Brown at 1 million is exactly the type of thing you want for a playoff run.
Holloway separated his shoulder from an innocuous hit into the boards in Bakersfield and was out for a month. Then he injured his knee smashing himself into the boards for no apparent reason.

He also took a hellacious hit to the head in the regular season that took him out of action for some games and multiple surgeries on his hand.

I still like the player but at a young age he already has an extensive injury history.

Broberg, likewise.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad