Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
For a million bucks Brown is fine, it's the $3+ million bonus hole that Holland left us on his that sucks, but he was a dominant PK guy.
No, not even. the pk was better even on the nights that brown was HS. He's not a dominant pk guy he's part of the pk. A very replaceable part of the pk. We let a much better pk player in McLeod go.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
No, not even. the pk was better even on the nights that brown was HS. He's not a dominant pk guy he's part of the pk. A very replaceable part of the pk. We let a much better pk player in McLeod go.

McLeod was making more than double the salary, it's not really an apples-apples comparison. The PK was a huge reason we made the Cup Final, none of Vancouver, Dallas, even Florida could piss a drop on the PP especially the longer any of those playoff rounds went.

Contrast that with the season prior where Broberg taking that dumb penalty on Eichel completely swung the entire Vegas series around as they scored 2 goals and took the lead, won the game, and took momentum over in the series.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Arvidsson is injury prone as you said, so basically if he's hurt we would have added nothing to our top 6 wings which is probably the main reason we lost in the Cup final.

In hindsight I think they pass on signing Henrique.
Rico definitely would be the immediate one to forego. If Holloway wanted more than 1.2 and signed for 2.3, I imagine he could have been had for the same as Broberg and his ask of 1.8

Hypothetically speaking, Broberg/Holloway/Skinner/Henrique could have been had by simply not signing Arvidsson.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Brown and Janmark were our go to PKers on a historically good playoff PK. Keep dreaming.

Reactions: harpoon

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Rico definitely would be the immediate one to forego. If Holloway wanted more than 1.2 and signed for 2.3, I imagine he could have been had for the same as Broberg and his ask of 1.8

Hypothetically speaking, Broberg/Holloway/Skinner/Henrique could have been had by simply not signing Arvidsson.

I think Arvidsson is gonna be a good player for us, he reminds me a bit of what I felt about Hyman before he signed with us ... I really was annoyed at playing against him because he always seemed to be hurting us. Total pain in the ass to play against.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
OK.

This is just a tangent that isn't relevant to the discussion here though regardless of whether or not I agree.
Its not irrelevant. Any agent of a young player will suss out what the orgs plans at the positions seems to be and in the case of the Oilres its seemingly wanting to fill the cupboard with journeyman forwards instead of raising their own.

In the case of Broberg how is he or his agent supposed to feel that the org wasted so much time on absolute nothing desharnais, who they realized was useless and let walk, instead of playing the talented Broberg. Its ironic that Desharnais was so much a liability the Oilers were forced to stop playing him in playoffs, Replaced by Broberg who was immediately better.

The management of either player was a gongshow. That Desharnais had the 6-7 gig at all instead of Broberg was a joke.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
No chance this leads to Holloway getting more on his next contract imo. Worse players and no playoff boost.
His qualifying offer would be higher. Very good possibility that it leads to a higher next contract for him. Thats part of the danger with high dollar, short term offer sheets is that it also jacks up the QO for the next contract.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
1.8 is what Broberg's camp wanted.

1.2 is what the Oilers offered Holloway (he obviously was looking for more than that).
it was also reported before we even learnt those numbers that their agents have been talking to St. Louis for 1.5 months and knew this was a possibility. I would hazard a guess that sure those are the numbers the oil and them talked about but that they were in no rush to actually sign the contract while they waited to see if the offer sheet came.

There was no incentive for them to for sure lock up those contacts in the meantime.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
If you're making millions to play hockey. You're really not getting screwed over. I know they're humans too. But they cry with dollar bills. We cry with tissue papers
Yet you invest nothing. Whole lot of jealousy seeping through and being mad at a player for taking what’s available to him. Broberg owes you nothing. Keep crying with your tissue papers.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
I think Arvidsson is gonna be a good player for us, he reminds me a bit of what I felt about Hyman before he signed with us ... I really was annoyed at playing against him because he always seemed to be hurting us. Total pain in the ass to play against.
If he can stay healthy I'm with you. Could be a huge impact player lining up next to McD or Drai.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
His qualifying offer would be higher. Very good possibility that it leads to a higher next contract for him. Thats part of the danger with high dollar, short term offer sheets is that it also jacks up the QO for the next contract.
Fair point but if he squeezes in some McDrai time and 2 more lengthy cup runs. Quite the attractive player.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Maybe it sounds like I'm blaming management, but it's not exactly what I feel. I can respect the gamble, even if it backfired. But them having an idea of what it would take to sign the kids and choosing to lowball instead put the ball in the court of the team imo, and the two kids should be applauded for doing what's best for them, not ragged on for not being team players.

With respect to Broberg, honestly, I would have been more than okay giving him what his reported ask was. He looked great on the biggest possible stage. Seems to have put it together. I'd have forgone two of Henrique, Arvidsson and Skinner to bring back Holloway and Broberg on raises.

I'm also okay that they went with Henrique, Skinner and Arvy. This is just an unfortunate consequence of that.
It's not about assigning blame but rather accountability, imo. This was a largely controllable situation that was misjudged by Oilers management despite a wide range of public cautionary warnings by media and Blues GM directly. Slow cook re-signing one's restricted free agents works ... until it doesn't.

Deflecting blame to young players given opportunity to make double and quadruple money is shortsighted. Think it is something likely anyone would do. Bake in too erratic, poor development both experienced since their respective draft days.

A management group with Jackson whom I think is a really savvy hire just walked itself into an incredible poison pill that hollows out this old team's best NHL ready talent.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Its not irrelevant. Any agent of a young player will suss out what the orgs plans at the positions seems to be and in the case of the Oilres its seemingly wanting to fill the cupboard with journeyman forwards instead of raising their own.

In the case of Broberg how is he or his agent supposed to feel that the org wasted so much time on absolute nothing desharnais, who they realized was useless and let walk, instead of playing the talented Broberg. Its ironic that Desharnais was so much a liability the Oilers were forced to stop playing him in playoffs, Replaced by Broberg who was immediately better.

The management of either player was a gongshow. That Desharnais had the 6-7 gig at all instead of Broberg was a joke.

Too much stupid cap management and poor player development and player deployment by too many GMs here. Yamamoto getting unlimited playing time with Draisaitl while Kostin got none was another laughable choice.

At least this can serve as a sobering wake up call.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
I'd be more worried about these offer sheets if GMKH was still in charge. He would probably do anything to keep Broberg. He's not that good. Second round pick isn't ideal, but if the difference between a 1st and a 2nd is being able to keep McDrai, who the hell cares?

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
So the player and agent bring a number to the team, and then when the team is close to or willing to go there, the agent then advises the players not to sign for what they asked?

Am I understanding your question?
Yes, that’s what I’m saying.

Thats why I think the reported ask are BS and those weren’t realistically on the table in late June. If you advised them to sign those deals you’d be a terrible agent because they would have left millions on the table.

Reasonable Oil Fan

NO KOOL AID PLEASE!!
Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
We can’t afford to match these offers, they’re gone
We are over the cap as it is and we need to add a forward and a defenceman and next year (if we keep draisaitl and Bouchard) we need to add at least 9 million
Interesting couple of years ahead.
I have no doubt it will work out but it’ll be fascinating to see

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad