Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
So, never in Broberg’s career has he performed well on the right side. Never. Not in Sweden, not in the A, not in the NHL. To expect him to have any level of success in the NHL would be foolish. He was worse than Ceci on Nurse’s right side. Broberg may be comfortable on the right side- he certainly can’t play it.
Broberg is a good player. Too bad we can't afford him now. The same goes for Holloway.

Trying to convince posters these players somehow now suck is an faulty apparatus.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
While this is true it also highlights the major problem here. This team absolutely cannot pay Broberg 4.6M per year to play the third pairing role/minutes. Kulak is making significantly less than that and is still too expensive for the spot really.

So if the team wants to keep him, the options are trade one of Ekholm/Nurse(not happening, obviously) or trade Ceci and play Broberg as the #4 on his offside.
@McBooya42 posted a great article above- he can’t play on his offside.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Because they're already under contract, coming off massive 8 year deals already. Bouchard will get paid. Whether he gets 8 9 or 10 million is irrelevant. He's going to be extremely well taken care of.

Fans expecting players to take discounts is batshit crazy. Maybe you should get all pissy at the team throwing 3 million dollars at Jeff Skinner who has never played a playoff game in his life instead of signing both Holloway AND Broberg with that money.
We need to have money in the bank to pay them. Overpaying Holloway and Broberg is an asinine move when we haven't locked down Draisaitl, McDavid or Bouchard. And thanks for reminding me of their contract status. Get in your time machine and redo I guess. Me, I think keeping Draisaitl happy by actually getting him some decent scoring wingers was essential in getting him to sign an extension. Why would he want to play with Holloway again?

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Everything is relative. Broberg and all athletes who take the huge gamble to have a career in pro sports deserve to live on a higher standard than those of us who played it safe. Compare NHL players to other NHL players. Of course Broberg was screwed over
Exactly this. Look, if somebody decides to be a bricklayer or Carpenter they get that job and get to keep that job if they are even competent at the trade. With any acumen at all the chance at continued and steady employment approaches 100%. Trades begging for people constantly.

Conversely in hockey 1 out of thousands of kids that have played or dedicated ends up having an NHL career. The ones that do get paid handsomely as is the case in all pro sports. But for every kid that made it there are a thousand of kids and families that made huge investments in trying to get a pro hockey player and it didn't pan out.

A pro hockey player is a limited resource and the players relatively invaluable compared to a trade worker. No disrespect intended, it just is the case in supply terms. A player good enough to play in NHL is rare commodity. A community of 50K might produce one NHL player. It could produce a thousand carpenters.

Its ridiculous for any reason to compare one situation with the other. Those that strive to be great in an extremely competitive endeavor and that have made the show have truly earned it, and in a way that others have not.

Reactions: Mr Positive

rec28

Dec 16, 2003
Vancouver Island
Visit site
Put yourself in Broberg and Holloway agents shoes for a minute. Would you advise your client to sign a new deal mid season when they were both not in the lineup?

Then fast forward to the end of season, there’s been chatter around the league of offer sheets and one GM in particular has made very direct comments about it. You look at the Oilers cap situation and where your players are at and do you think to yourself that they could be prime targets for offer sheets?

Then you have to think an offer sheet would have to be considerably more then the reported 1.2 and 1.8 that you are asking, so in that case would you advise your client to sign with Edmonton even if they were meeting your ask? Or would you say to them, hey why don’t we wait a week or two and see if there is any smoke to this offer sheet fire?

What downside for them is there to waiting a week or two in order to listen to potential offer sheet offers before seriously negotiating and signing with Edmonton.
This.

People need to stop looking for a villain to blame. Every participant - from the Blues to the players to Oilers management - has acted rationally with respect to their own interests and within the rules. Insisting that Holland should have signed the players sooner ignores the fact that they were both RFAs, with some leverage of their own.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
We need to have money in the bank to pay them.
The front office chose to go out and spend 11 million dollars on two wingers who had no ties to the team while simultaneously leaving two of their biggest, young depth pieces who just helped the team get to the finals to wait it out and take whatever was left.

I'm not saying they shouldn't have signed Skinner and Arvidsson. But the front office decided to go out and spend a bunch of money to bring in new players while expecting some of their existing and already contributing young players to take a backseat.

And you're arguing this is perfectly fine because McDrai and Bouchard need new deals, and it should be on the shoulders of Holloway and Broberg to cough up as much money as possible to make it happen, despite the managers spending almost 3x as much on more new players.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I am certainly not in the group of posters that dont want to hear about Nurse and Campbell.
I must have made 5 or 6 posts about their contracts being a major part of the problem with this teams cap situation.
Those contracts are an obvious issue.
Regarding the Perry contract...its not irrelevant, The player is irrelevant but the contract isnt. It eats up money that could go somewhere else and its fair to say that $1.15M matters when the team is up against the cap like this team is.
Could it have been used for Holloway or Broberg? You have no more information about that than I do.
We are both operating on trying to piece together information. To suggest that you know for sure that $1.15M wouldnt have mattered is a little disingenuous....no?
It is irrelevant because it's a buriable contract. You could bury it anytime during the season.
The Perry contract isn't what prevented them from signing Broberg and Holloway, they didn't care about going over the cap as is so they could have done both if Broberg and Holloway were willing to sign at a lower number. You could go 10% over the cap in the offseason so JJ seemed willing to do just that.

With that said, I wasn't a fan of the signing but just because they signed Perry for cheap that doesn't mean they prioritized him over Broberg and Holloway. One has nothing to do with the other IMO.
I'm not claiming that I know anything about the mindset of Oilers management, it's just an opinion like yours is. Did you think they were prioritizing Derek Ryan over Kostin because they signed Ryan on July 1st and traded Kostin elsewhere? That doesn't make sense IMO. Kostin would have been traded either way, the Ryan signing had no bearing on that. It seems like Holloway and Broberg were signing the offer sheets anyway or waiting out an offer sheet option or Oilers management was playing hardball, the Perry signing had no bearing on that.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Put yourself in Broberg and Holloway agents shoes for a minute. Would you advise your client to sign a new deal mid season when they were both not in the lineup?

Then fast forward to the end of season, there’s been chatter around the league of offer sheets and one GM in particular has made very direct comments about it. You look at the Oilers cap situation and where your players are at and do you think to yourself that they could be prime targets for offer sheets?

Then you have to think an offer sheet would have to be considerably more then the reported 1.2 and 1.8 that you are asking, so in that case would you advise your client to sign with Edmonton even if they were meeting your ask? Or would you say to them, hey why don’t we wait a week or two and see if there is any smoke to this offer sheet fire?

What downside for them is there to waiting a week or two in order to listen to potential offer sheet offers before seriously negotiating and signing with Edmonton.
There's no downside to what Broberg and Holloway did at all, and I'm not upset that they signed. But if the reports are true, then the 1.8 and 1.2 are what the players camps were looking for at the time and the Oilers chose not to sign them.

Obviously at that point it behooves the players to now wait as long as possible.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
The front office chose to go out and spend 11 million dollars on two wingers who had no ties to the team while simultaneously leaving two of their biggest, young depth pieces who just helped the team get to the finals to wait it out and take whatever was left.

I'm not saying they shouldn't have signed Skinner and Arvidsson. But the front office decided to go out and spend a bunch of money to bring in new players while expecting some of their existing and already contributing young players to take a backseat.

And you're arguing this is perfectly fine because McDrai and Bouchard need new deals, and it should be on the shoulders of Holloway and Broberg to cough up as much money as possible to make it happen, despite the managers spending almost 3x as much on more new players.

We're a Stanley Cup contender, the two players we signed are near locks to make our team better. The other two are hopes.

If we could go all the way back in a Time Machine to July 1, I don't think you're going to find too many people on board with forgoing Skinner and Arvidsson so we could sign Holloway and Broberg. Especially when a rotating cast of shitty wingers on the second line was a perpetual problem all the way to the end.

Reactions: oXo Cube

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet

Neither Skinner nor Arvidsson will still be on the books by the time McDavid needs a new contract. Skinner will be gone in time for Bouchard.

Referring to Holloway and Broberg as 'already contributing' is also being generous. I like both players but Holloway was outscored last year by Sam Gagner and Broberg was in the AHL.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

The Oilers welcoming Arvidsson and Skinner should be the reason more players want to play for the Oilers. not leave. Holloway and Broberg accepted the offersheet and it shows where their priorities are. Who's to say Bouchard didn't receive any offersheet and he didn't bother to sign them. I mean Bouchard could have money and become a legend with McDrai in Edmonton. Who the right mind would give that up?

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
We aren't in a spot to overpay hoping it gives us future loyalty from Broberg or Holloway. It is why I go with letting them go which seems the best of a bad situation.

Sr Louis fairly used a rule of the CBA so I can't be mad. In a few years when our team is on the decline and our cupboards are empty due to hopefully getting all our playoff rentals that led to success, we can one day weaponize cap to overpay on a possible upside player.

I think more teams should do what at Louis did just not against Edmonton. Essentially it is a bottom feeder choosing a draft plus a few years prospect by legal CBA means

Reactions: rec28

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
We're a Stanley Cup contender, the two players we signed are near locks to make our team better. The other two are hopes.

If we could go all the way back in a Time Machine to July 1, I don't think you're going to find too many people on board with forgoing Skinner and Arvidsson so we could sign Holloway and Broberg. Especially when a rotating cast of shitty wingers on the second line was a perpetual problem all the way to the end.

Neither Skinner nor Arvidsson will still be on the books by the time McDavid needs a new contract. Skinner will be gone in time for Bouchard.

Referring to Holloway and Broberg as 'already contributing' is also being generous. I like both players but Holloway was outscored last year by Sam Gagner and Broberg was in the AHL.

The Oilers welcoming Arvidsson and Skinner should be the reason more players want to play for the Oilers. not leave. Holloway and Broberg accepted the offersheet and it shows where their priorities are. Who's to say Bouchard didn't receive any offersheet and he didn't bother to sign them. I mean Bouchard could have money and become a legend with McDrai in Edmonton. Who the right mind would give that up?
Guys, I literally said I wasn't stating the team shouldn't have signed Arvidsson and Skinner. I'm not bagging the organization for doing it.

I'm saying it's utterly f***ing ridiculous to be mad at Holloway and Broberg because they should be expected to take scraps while McDrai and Bouchard only look to make sub 15 million.

A guy who has already made 100 million dollars and is taking a "discount" at 12 instead of 15 million isn't even remotely the same as a young guy looking to make a couple of million instead of 750k

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Didn’t Servalli say Bouchard, McDavid, and Leon have all chatted and all are willing to take Les’s to play in Edmonton? That should be the culture and tone here. Let Holloway and Broberg walk. Take the picks- upgrade at the deadline. No need to screw the cap for next year too on a combined 170 NHL games played

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I do also have to say, It's kind of dumb for people to question the loyalty of these players.

Look at Ryan McLeod. He took a discount when we needed him too, and we still had no problem trading him away. Which is totally fine, thats the business. But the business goes both ways.

These players know that being loyal now and taking a cut is no guarantee of return loyalty.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Oilers management when Broberg’s and Holloway’s agents ask if they’ll be matching the offer sheets:

1723742185582.gif

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton

Maybe he did that knowing that those two refused their offers from us, and that they were going to see if they got offer sheets after the season was over? The writing was on the wall so to speak and there were rumblings early of offer sheets coming in. @SupremeTeam16 mentions this as a possibility in the "Does Bowman make his mark on the team" thread. In context, it makes a whole lot of sense of how things shook out.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
There's no downside to what Broberg and Holloway did at all, and I'm not upset that they signed. But if the reports are true, then the 1.8 and 1.2 are what the players camps were looking for at the time and the Oilers chose not to sign them.

Obviously at that point it behooves the players to now wait as long as possible.

Do you ever get tired of being a total f***ing pud?

It's a rhetorical question. Thanks for not addressing a single thing I've said, like usual.
Thats what I’m saying is I don’t necessarily believe these reported ask numbers and I don’t believe either agent would have advised their client to sign at that number if they though an offer sheet might come.

Let me ask you two simple questions.

If you were the agent for either of these players and it’s June 26 and the Oilers are willing to or close to meeting the reported ask, would you advise your client to sign?

And next question, if it was January/February and Holloway/Broberg are struggling to contribute and stay in the lineup, if you were Jeff Jackson would you sign these guys to 1.2 and 1.8 deals?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad