Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
this is just completely untrue and makes me wonder how much you even watched. Brown was the best PKer on the team while offensive production. He was arguably the best bottom 6er on the team. 6 points in 19 games with a +4 playing 11 minutes?
Brown got stronger as the games went on, he was noticeable good during the finals every shift.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Arvidsson misses around 20 games per season when you look at his play history. He's had durability issues since the year 2018 and is now 31 years old. Will be interesting to see if his health holds up.

Very good player or was in his Nashville days, but his 3 year run in LA was a lot more checked.
Bang on. Its like people just look at the name and memory of the player and say "hey, this guy is really going to help us"

The player has had two Back surgeries during LA time frame for herniated discs and has had lower body injuries. it isn't even speculative that the player has been compromised. That the player is unlikely to be at peak or optimal condition. No slight on the player as he can be a warrior for his size, lots of fight in him. But speaking of the physical injuries and limitations and back injuries tend to be hard to endure in hockey.

The reality is we're getting another journeyman who barely even played hockey last season.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Bang on. Its like people just look at the name and memory of the player and say "hey, this guy is really going to help us"

The player has had two Back surgeries during LA time frame for herniated discs and has had lower body injuries. it isn't even speculative that the player has been compromised. That the player is unlikely to be at peak or optimal condition. No slight on the player as he can be a warrior for his size, lots of fight in him. But speaking of the physical injuries and limitations and back injuries tend to be hard to endure in hockey.

The reality is we're getting another journeyman who barely even played hockey last season.
So you're counting the Oilers out. First round fodder?

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Brown had a better P/60 in the playoffs than McLeod despite playing on the 4th line and was better on the Pk statistically and visually. Brown and Janmarks work on the PK is a huge reason we got past Dallas.

I won’t sit here and say he was worth his last contract because that’s not true. Brown @ 1 million though is fantastic.
Yup. I take Brown over perimeter do-nothing balls of a church mouse McLeod all day.

He can skate super fast around the outside of the dots all year in Buffalo.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Arvidsson misses around 20 games per season when you look at his play history. He's had durability issues since the year 2018 and is now 31 years old. Will be interesting to see if his health holds up.

Very good player or was in his Nashville days, but his 3 year run in LA was a lot more checked.
Yeah, but we all know the system LA plays.

He will be able play less physically here and not have as much defensive responsibilities as the LA system

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

I don't know what's going on with you today but with the Brown take and now this, I'm wondering what you're seeing.

Arvidsson played 66 games three seasons ago and 77 the season after so he's played plenty of games. Yeah he has missed time over the years and missed a lot last season but he had 26 goals and 59 points in 77 games two seasons ago and 6 goals, 15 points in 18 games AFTER coming back from injury not playing with players like Leon Draisaitl so journeyman is quite the hyperbole to describe this player.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Yup. I take Brown over perimeter do-nothing balls of a church mouse McLeod all day.

He can skate super fast around the outside of the dots all year in Buffalo.
Mcloed peeled off and avoid finishing so many checks in the playoffs. For all his speed he rarely accomplished anything. Speed is a great attribute to have, but not in a vacuum. Mcloed didnt really bring anything to the team other than speed, which like Foegele lead to nothing more often than not. At least Foegele scored.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
According to you we let the good players go, or are about to, and brought back nothing but junk.

Love McLeod. Love Holloway in the top six.

Dislike Brown. Don't expect anything from Arvidsson because of guaranteed injury plagued season.

Does this mean the Oilers won't go far in the playoffs in your opinion?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I don't know what's going on with you today but with the Brown take and now this, I'm wondering what you're seeing.

Arvidsson played 66 games three seasons ago and 77 the season before so he's played plenty of games. Yeah he has missed time over the years and missed a lot last season but he had 26 goals and 59 points in 77 games two seasons ago and 6 goals, 15 points in 18 games AFTER coming back from injury not playing with players like Leon Draisaitl so journeyman is quite the hyperbole to describe this player.
I watch LA more than anybody on this board. I followed that team as much as anybody. Arvy has had extensive injury trouble and two back surgeries as well as lower body injuries. The Kings put him in plum spots where he can get some pts, true. Overall he's been a useful player for them. Even good to very good. But his health is diminished.

This is hockey. What kind of precedent you think there is for two back surgeries and lower body injuries at past 30 turning out to many games?

Arvie played 17 games last season. Gingerly. Thats it. Even the games he played he was being hurt. it was hard to watch some of it. Some would have retired.

I like Arvy. There was no diss in saying he's a journeyman player. He's a vet player, thats all I meant. He can even be a starring player. But I doubt very much he can be that now after all of the injuries and surgeries. Keeping in mind he's not a role player either. But he hasn't been able to be the player even he would want to be anymore. Gone last season and playoffs was the physical on boards player. He's tentative, understandably now.

its amazing to me he continues to play. I wouldn't.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
This is the biggest problem with matching the offer sheet, besides the fact that it's an overpayment. If he is indeed fixated on playing the left side then you're stuck with paying a 3rd pairing Dman $4.6m/yr for the next 2 years because there's no path for him in the top 4 on the left side anytime soon even with Nurse's issues so if they do match this is more of a long term investment hoping that he's an Ekholm replacement down the line type of thing.
Personally I'm not sure that Broberg is fixated around playing left side. But really on getting a steady, sustained opportunity to play. Hard not to when the organization was so talent poor on defense they had to make successive moves for experienced left d with Keith, Kulak, Ekholm. Then withering on the vine off shooting side under Woodrow's 7-11 deployment.

He took the demotion in stride. Played his nuts off and got his name called in the toughest level of competition and kept his head above water. On his non-shooting side that NHL veteran Kulak demurred to do. Broberg showed solid games early in year one with some big NHL games at right d and left side (in Vegas and Calgary specifically). And a very solid kiddy core run with Bouchard a couple years back on his natural left side. I like the player more than most here but I don't question his character.

I saw him as a succession plan with Ekholm exchanging roster spots within a couple years while extending Ekholm's career on this team. But it's never been ideal having to push the young player to his off-shooting side. There's a very clear need and path in St. Louis along with established veteran partner that's likely either Parayko or Faulk.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I watch LA more than anybody on this board. I followed that team as much as anybody. Arvy has had extensive injury trouble and two back surgeries as well as lower body injuries. The Kings put him in plum spots where he can get some pts, true. Overall he's been a useful player for them. Even good to very good. But his health is diminished.

This is hockey. What kind of precedent you think there is for two back surgeries and lower body injuries at past 30 turning out to many games?

Arvie played 17 games last season. Gingerly. Thats it. Even the games he played he was being hurt. it was hard to watch some of it. Some would have retired.

I like Arvy. There was no diss in saying he's a journeyman player. He's a vet player, thats all I meant. He can even be a starring player. But I doubt very much he can be that now after all of the injuries and surgeries.
Arvidsson sure didn't play "gingerly" in the playoffs. I don't even think you watched the LA series. Maybe you were drunk.

• Haha
Reactions: harpoon

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Broberg would NOT be buried on the roster. he would be playing top 4 by half-way point for sure if not at the start of the season. You DO NOT replace Holloway's size and skill which are bothe needed for the playoffs by Derek Ryan
He is statistically way worse at RD as posted already in this thread. He would have been the 2RD unless he stumbled but realistically he had a couple good games in the playoffs and some meh.

Our fourth line will barely play with the forward depth we have or shouldn’t. I don’t see the Derek Ryan Corey Perry etc issue when we can put them in A with minimal or no cap impact. Sign a better UfA for league min or less than 1.2 if you really don’t like them

Reactions: foshizzle

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

I like Arvy. There was no diss in saying he's a journeyman player. He's a vet player, thats all I meant. He can even be a starring player. But I doubt very much he can be that now after all of the injuries and surgeries. Keeping in mind he's not a role player either. But he hasn't been able to be the player even he would want to be anymore. Gone last season and playoffs was the physical on boards player. He's tentative, understandably now.

its amazing to me he continues to play. I wouldn't.
Is his health diminshed? He had a great season two years ago and pick right up from where he left off and played well after he returned from injury. I don't see much trail off in his performance. You probably watch more of the Kings than I do but with them being the Oilers rival, I stick around for late night viewings and Arvidsson is consistently one of their more dangerous forwards, I've always seen him as one of those guys that was a thorn in the Oilers side and one to look out for. He, Kempe and freaking Trevor Moore were always the guys I feared the most when playing them.
I think there's some tread left on those tired but at 31, maybe not. It's a good bet for the Oilers at the number he signed for IMO.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Broberg would NOT be buried on the roster. he would be playing top 4 by half-way point for sure if not at the start of the season. You DO NOT replace Holloway's size and skill which are bothe needed for the playoffs by Derek Ryan
Both good players. Both priced off of the Oilers roster.

Maybe they break out and become more than just average NHL players but they priced themselves off of the team and we need to be thinking about locking up Draisaitl and Bouchard now, and McDavid next season. We cannot be overpaying Holloway and Broberg for potential.

lol Arvy was -3 and the worst player on the ice in game one. Didn't score a goal either. He kind of made some inroads in game 5 but with the series already over. Really he wasn't good.
Arvidsson pulverized our big Swede shift after shift. That took a lot out of Ekholm.

Hyman was also injured in that series from a huge hit I don't believe he fully recovered from for the entire playoffs. LA ran all of our top players as did the Canucks.

McLeod shit his pants.

Last edited:

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I get your point, but you can't.

How do we replace them? You can't really trade more young players after you've just lost 2.

Oilers have no choice but to match.
You easily replace them because they’re both being paid premium UFA money now.

The only draw to them before is they were going to be cheap reinforcements. They aren’t that anymore.

Reactions: OilerTyler

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Is his health diminshed? He had a great season two years ago and pick right up from where he left off and played well after he returned from injury. I don't see much trail off in his performance. You probably watch more of the Kings than I do but with them being the Oilers rival, I stick around for late night viewings and Arvidsson is consistently one of their more dangerous forwards, I've always seen him as one of those guys that was a thorn in the Oilers side and one to look out for. He, Kempe and freaking Trevor Moore were always the guys I feared the most when playing them.
I cited the injuries and back surgeries. You can look it up if for some reason you don't believe me. The question to ask is whether Arvie can still be that production player now. If you think so then what precedent is there to come back strong from two back surgeries and lower body injuries in pro hockey?

Arvys game requires some mucking for pucks and physicality. I get that Oilers fans can be thrilled at having him. I would be too years ago. But we're getting this player now.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I cited the injuries and back surgeries. You can look it up if for some reason you don't believe me. The question to ask is whether Arvie can still be that production player now. If you think so then what precedent is there to come back strong from two back surgeries and lower body injuries?

Arvys game requires some mucking for pucks and physicality. I get that Oilers fans can be thrilled at having him. I would be too years ago. But we're getting this player now.
The precedent is 6 goals and 15 points in 18 games AFTER coming back from injury, AFTER the surgery. Did I not make myself clear on that? Haha
Unless he got another back surgery this offseason, the Oilers are getting the guy who was near a PPG down a playoff stretch with players not named Leon Draisaitl. I'll take that guy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad