Morgan Rielly "It's stanley cup or bust. I think that’s how our group feels. Anything short of that will be a failure."

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
They definitely have the talent to win the cup even. The issue is if they can actually find that extra gear when it matters

I also think of Marian Hossa when it comes to this kind of thing. It was fun to bash him as cursed when it comes to the playoffs but all it took was the right mix to happen and all of a sudden he was a playoff guy.
Marian Hossa had a fine playoff reputation, even regarded as a good playoff performer. Was 'cursed' because he lost in back to back finals with different teams. The next year he goes to the greatest cap team ever assembled and wins.

I have no idea how this relates to any member of the leafs organization. I have no idea why Hossa came to mind.

Reactions: Crow

Kamus

Oct 21, 2005
Any top 10 team needs to have this attitude and most players do have it… that’s why they made it….. while the rest of people hating on this still blame “politics” or the coaches kid got on the team instead of them…. If you don’t have this attitude you become a pro HFer instead.
Coming from a Non-leaf fan

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
I think the leafs battled like crazy last playoffs. Matthews was sick like a dog and still pulled a very « clutch » assist to Nylander in the 3rd period. Narrative is awful because they gave a goal right away but I think the leafs are finally going deep this year.
Pastrnak had an even better clutch goal to send the leafs packing last year in OT. I just think some players are better in the playoffs than others.

Reactions: HabsQC

jiboy

la game dans la game
May 2, 2007
Pastrnak had an even better clutch goal to send the leafs packing last year in OT. I just think some players are better in the playoffs than others.
Not really. When a team score first in the 3rd in a tight game 80% of the time they close it out. Anyway being « clutch » is more narratives than anything else.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Marian Hossa had a fine playoff reputation, even regarded as a good playoff performer. Was 'cursed' because he lost in back to back finals with different teams. The next year he goes to the greatest cap team ever assembled and wins.

I have no idea how this relates to any member of the leafs organization. I have no idea why Hossa came to mind.
I do believe it extended before then even, but the point is that the proof that a player or a team just doesn't have it for the playoffs inevitably be based on a small sample size where a lot is made out of a little

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
If this was any other team nobody would care. But because it’s the Leafs the haters will jump on it.

How can anyone critique an athlete for wanting to win?
I dont know, people cared enough when Connor McDavid said it last year and made fun of it quite a bit.

Look at the Oilers history. They were pretty meh for a long time. Wasn't until McDavid and Drai were 27/28 they became a legit contender. Thats the age of Marner and Matthews
That’s literally their ages right now. They’ve been playoff performers for longer than just this year. There is no comparison between McDrai and M&M. They aren’t even in the same league, especially in terms of playoffs.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
well it’s obvious last season wasn’t cup or bust, because Matthews rather play all the meaningless games to chase 70 goals instead of resting for the playoffs, then after failing to get to 70 gets ill missing half the first round. It was clear cup or bust was not on his mind

Reactions: Realgud

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
I do believe it extended before then even, but the point is that the proof that a player or a team just doesn't have it for the playoffs inevitably be based on a small sample size where a lot is made out of a little
I think that is fair. Until Matthews' big breakout season in a few years ago, it felt like a Tavares led squad. Even though the team has been built around him for a few years now, there did take some time to transition the coaching and GM efforts to revolve around Matthews, and he just became captain officially this summer. Id like to think everyone is on the same page with where this team is at and where it is going with clarity that might not have been there in seasons past.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Same old tune, they've been singing that tune the last 7 years :laugh: Well I guess it's bust for the Toronto Maple Leafs cause they certainly not winning the cup! :laugh:

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Any top 10 team needs to have this attitude and most players do have it… that’s why they made it….. while the rest of people hating on this still blame “politics” or the coaches kid got on the team instead of them…. If you don’t have this attitude you become a pro HFer instead.
Coming from a Non-leaf fan

Woah hey now where's the shame in that?!!

It's got me the same amount of Stanley Cups as Morgan Rielly.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
By what a few games? Until recently the Oilers embarrassed themselves in round 1 each year outside of beating a bad ducks team.

The point is, players mature and change and the team is different. New coach and system and the best D core I have seen in this era. Same with goaltending

Perhaps this thread is more your style

Well the Oilers have had multiple deep runs with their current core, including a game 7 SCF loss by a single goal. I don't think the Leafs can compare.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
It would be legendary if they started growing their playoff beards now.

Or Matthews shaves his stache and vows not to regrow until they win.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018

It seems like he’s using Hossa as an analogy for Marner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad