Morgan Rielly "It's stanley cup or bust. I think that’s how our group feels. Anything short of that will be a failure."

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
If Tanev is playing Reilly minutes no shot.

Huge Tanev fan but if they pair him with Reilly to play big minutes he won’t be able to skate by the playoffs.

Last edited:

zizbuka

Apr 4, 2017
We will take it. Haven't made a cup final in over 50 years. We just want to see improvement to consistency and how they play sometimes and it appears the team is bought into Berube's message.

This is the year.

Has it really been 50 years? Wow....... I'm sorry, must feel awful.

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
My comment still stands though. You couldn't find two more opposite centers if you tried.
They are both regular season MVPs that lead their team in underperforming in the playoffs. I have no idea what else needs to be similar about them when talking about them in this context, but whatever.

Reactions: Crow

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
As a Leafs fan since the 80s I've learned to count my happiness by series wins. It got me through the Burns era. It got me through the Quinn era. And it will get me through the Matthews era.

For those who say Chip or bust go look at every athlete in history.

But stfu with your trolling non sense. It won't work on this Leafs fan. And it never did.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Having a player finally break that and say nah f that we want a cup. Rielly is a beaut.

That seemed to matter for the Oilers.

The significant difference is that the Oilers' trajectory has kind of been a year over year improvement where they have managed to add depth to their roster every offseason.

I don't think anyone doubted Connor McDavid or Leon Draisaitl when they said it was 'Cup or Bust'.

The Leafs have had difficulty maintaining the depth of their roster and have unfortunately seen impactful players leave every year because they simply haven't fit into the team's payroll. It's tough to improve when that's happening.

The one potential positive is the likelihood that Florida, Tampa and Boston all see some sort of regression, however minor this season simply due to similar turnover.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018

Was a theme of the Leafs pressers this year which are different than years past where they would allude to the goal but never actually placed expectations on themselves.

This is the year the Leafs figure it out under Berube and go on a cup run.

To a degree, that’s still a bitch-ass mindset, because he couched it with “to a degree”.

Morgan Reilly is a fantastic player, to a degree. I agree with him to a degree. See how that kinda negates any positive confidence one could take from the statement?

Silly lil point, but it’s far from a Messier guarantee, or even his confidence. It’s more in the realm of “we’re gonna try real hard.”

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I like that Reilly did that. It opens him up for embarrassment if the team falls flat, which isn't me picking on him

Like last year with McDavid, he said cup or bust, and then people dunked on him when we sucked out of the gate and people said we wouldn't make the playoffs even.

This kind of thing can galvanize a team when times are bad

• Love
Reactions: HockeyVirus

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
The significant difference is that the Oilers' trajectory has kind of been a year over year improvement where they have managed to add depth to their roster every offseason.

I don't think anyone doubted Connor McDavid or Leon Draisaitl when they said it was 'Cup or Bust'.

The Leafs have had difficulty maintaining the depth of their roster and have unfortunately seen impactful players leave every year because they simply haven't fit into the team's payroll. It's tough to improve when that's happening.

The one potential positive is the likelihood that Florida, Tampa and Boston all see some sort of regression, however minor this season simply due to similar turnover.

The Leafs added depth massively on defense by letting some forwards walk and thankfully have a full cupboard of forward prospects + stars in their prime. Plus Woll has arrived. The Leafs are deep

• Haha
Reactions: dukeofjive

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The Leafs added depth massively on defense by letting some forwards walk and thankfully have a full cupboard of forward prospects + stars in their prime. Plus Woll has arrived. The Leafs are deep
They definitely have the talent to win the cup even. The issue is if they can actually find that extra gear when it matters

I also think of Marian Hossa when it comes to this kind of thing. It was fun to bash him as cursed when it comes to the playoffs but all it took was the right mix to happen and all of a sudden he was a playoff guy.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I have no doubt that this time it will work out just as well as this did:

p20493032_b_h8_aa.jpg

Not so fast. Foligno and his concealed injuries won’t be able to bring his fake leadership this time around.

Cheers to Chicago though. Cherish him.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
They definitely have the talent to win the cup even. The issue is if they can actually find that extra gear when it matters

I also think of Marian Hossa when it comes to this kind of thing. It was fun to bash him as cursed when it comes to the playoffs but all it took was the right mix to happen and all of a sudden he was a playoff guy.

I know people won't accept any excuses and I get that, but having Matthews and Nylander for the whole series last year the way they were playing would have made such a difference. Boston wasn't even good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad