Morgan Rielly "It's stanley cup or bust. I think that’s how our group feels. Anything short of that will be a failure."

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
By what a few games? Until recently the Oilers embarrassed themselves in round 1 each year outside of beating a bad ducks team.

The point is, players mature and change and the team is different. New coach and system and the best D core I have seen in this era. Same with goaltending

It’s still more success than Matthews has ever had.

You can say the team is different all you want, but until the core learns what it takes in the playoffs, it’s going to keep happening. Bertuzzi, Domi, and Lyubushkin had more points in their last playoff run than Matthews, Marner, and Nylander. When you’re spending nearly 55 million on 5 players, you’d hope that even one of them could be a PPG guy in the playoffs

If you’re not trying to win the cup, what the f*** are you playing for?

it’s not about whether or not they would like to win the Cup. Look how many Cup winners nearly won before they actually did. You have to learn what it takes to win, and the Matthews era Leafs have never even been on an extended playoff run. They should probably win more than 5 playoff games in a year before they start talking “cup or bust”

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
It means they are dipping their toes in the water, but they’re still too timid to take a shot of whiskey, strip down to their birthday suits and cannon ball off the dock

It really comes across as if he doesnt mean what he said. I thought he said cup or bust period. No excuses, no BS. But he just had to start with "to a degree".

Reactions: Strangle

Strangle

May 4, 2009
It’s not about whether or not they would like to win the Cup. Look how many Cup winners nearly won before they actually did. You have to learn what it takes to win, and the Matthews era Leafs have never even been on an extended playoff run. They should probably win more than 5 playoff games in a year before they start talking “cup or bust”

Why, though?

I think this team doesn’t need that at all, they’re good enough to win a cup right now. Why do they need to knock at the door a couple times? Just kick that f***er in

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Because they don’t know how to kick the door in. They’re currently throwing pebbles at the door and wondering why it’s not falling over

Well, you’re not wrong

As heartbreaking as that hard truth is

If you put a gun to my head and asked me to state the biggest reason this team fails, that would be my answer

Reactions: The Nuge

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Well, you’re not wrong

As heartbreaking as that hard truth is

If you put a gun to my head and asked me to state the biggest reason this team fails, that would be my answer

Ya, it’s not as if they don’t have talent. They just keep not stepping up. The hope would obviously be that they’ve lost enough that it lights a fire under them and they can bypass that step.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
That’s a good point, it may have been part of a team policy to have everyone approach the cup talk in that way. Maybe management thought it would look humble in hindsight?

That alone seems so arrogant and offside to me now that I’m writing it down

That seemed to be a consistent message from there. Trying to be corporate on the ice. Even the Zamboni driver game, the team scored a few goals on him quickly then kind of turned off the gas. Carolina were embarrassed and turned it up and the Leafs never got back in control of that game.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Just what this group needs. Even more pressure!

I think Mitch just went on LTIR for “shambles in his brain” from this quote bring reported :help:

That seemed to be a consistent message from there. Trying to be corporate on the ice. Even the Zamboni driver game, the team scored a few goals on him quickly then kind of turned off the gas. Carolina were embarrassed and turned it up and the Leafs never got back in control of that game.

100%

They didn’t want to light up the goalie and they stopped playing

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
They've been asked about this in the past. Never said anything like that. Usually they allude to the ultimate goal and say the past is the past and they are focused on camp. First time I can recall the core players all saying the cup was the goal

Oh well he said it this time so for sure that means they'll win.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Winning a few rounds before the statement would alleviate a lot of the hate they are getting.

With that being said, “Cup or Bust” is certainly a more meaningful statement than “HoUseMonEY!”

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Ya, it’s not as if they don’t have talent. They just keep not stepping up. The hope would obviously be that they’ve lost enough that it lights a fire under them and they can bypass that step.

So why is it so hard to imagine that after enough times getting punched in the face and a new voice and team identity, the talent can do what they normally do when it counts? It's not like these guys are not winners in life.

Marner the worst of them all was memorial cup MVP and an absolute warrior. What happened to that spirit? People say oh he got paid. Or maybe Keefe was coaching him wrong IDK. He had success under Keefe, but maybe Keefe was just too soft with him and Berube can find the right button to push.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
So why is it so hard to imagine that after enough times getting punched in the face and a new voice and team identity, the talent can do what they normally do when it counts? It's not like these guys are not winners in life.

Marner the worst of them all was memorial cup MVP and an absolute warrior. What happened to that spirit? People say oh he got paid. Or maybe Keefe was coaching him wrong IDK. He had success under Keefe, but maybe Keefe was just too soft with him and Berube can find the right button to push.
Good luck

Reactions: HockeyVirus

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Its cute that he says that, but c'mon, winning two rounds and getting to the ECF will be a massive success for them.

If they make it that far, they win it all. Most likely they would have eliminated the two best teams in the league to do that if recent history repeats itself

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad