Morgan Rielly "It's stanley cup or bust. I think that’s how our group feels. Anything short of that will be a failure."

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Look at the Oilers history. They were pretty meh for a long time. Wasn't until McDavid and Drai were 27/28 they became a legit contender. Thats the age of Marner and Matthews

The Oilers had a longer playoff run when McDavid was 19 than the Leafs have had in the last 20 years. At this point, the goal should just be “have an extended run and try to learn how to win”

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
In the same way the Senators have avoided saying playoffs are the goal, the Leafs have done the same with the cup. It's nice to see them come out and say it for once

It’s been said, we just didn’t make a main board thread about it.

Brady Tkachuk said:
Our goal is to bring playoff hockey here, bring that back. It’s been a while since the city’s enjoyed that experience.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
The Oilers had a longer playoff run when McDavid was 19 than the Leafs have had in the last 20 years. At this point, the goal should just be “have an extended run and try to learn how to win”

By what a few games? Until recently the Oilers embarrassed themselves in round 1 each year outside of beating a bad ducks team.

The point is, players mature and change and the team is different. New coach and system and the best D core I have seen in this era. Same with goaltending

It’s been said, we just didn’t make a main board thread about it.

Perhaps this thread is more your style

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Never heard this before. Never seen their core laughing in elimination games while losing.

Nah, this is definitely it THIS time, it's now or never...

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Nice work Morgs, nice hustle YOU DONT SAY?!! on a team where 5 players make about 55 mill it should be stanley cup or bust every year. Maybe remind Auston that you gotta play from April to June too and not sit on your 69 regular season goals.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014

Was a theme of the Leafs pressers this year which are different than years past where they would allude to the goal but never actually placed expectations on themselves.

This is the year the Leafs figure it out under Berube and go on a cup run.
Just win a round, it will be like a Stanley Cup. It was enough 2 years ago, should be enough now.

Now extend Marner 8 x 10+.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
It's the right attitude to have, even if it will become a soundbite for the media.

I've always thought Reilly showed strong leadership qualities. Makes me wonder if he should have been given the C.

Reactions: HockeyVirus

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
I feel dirty agreeing with an oilers fan but your right. While I still think with Demko we win but game six and seven my nucks we're not prepared for the pressure of those games.
If the oilers would have lost that series to a 21 year old rookie I think that would have been the end of the McDrai era and the nucks weren't ready.

The leafs won a round got swept and still haven't learned which is telling imo. Their core just doesn't have the DNA to dig deep.
The management talked a big game but as usual just re-shuffled the outer deck without any major changes and are banking on a rookie goalie. It's comical at this point

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: PuckG

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
making those decisions doesn’t inherently represent satisfaction with the results like you seem to think it does.

Maybe, but I would have expected changes if they weren't satisfied, not running the same failing experiment again and again.

They can say whatever they want, but actions speak louder than words.

I think the big bosses make a lot of money, tickets and jerseys are sold, everything is good for them.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Maybe, but I would have expected changes if they weren't satisfied, not running the same failing experiment again and again.

They can say whatever they want, but actions speak louder than words.

I think the big bosses make a lot of money, tickets and jerseys are sold, everything is good for them.

Idk changing half the defense, half the goaltending, and the all but one of the coaching staff seems like a fair deal of change. It’s just not the change you wanted, which is fine, you’re entitled to your opinions on what needs to be done.

• Haha
Reactions: dukeofjive

Strangle

May 4, 2009

Was a theme of the Leafs pressers this year which are different than years past where they would allude to the goal but never actually placed expectations on themselves.

This is the year the Leafs figure it out under Berube and go on a cup run.

Very refreshing to hear this from Reilly

Us fans have been saying this since Tavares signed, it’s about time the players got on board and stated the actual goal here.

He’s right, anything less than a cup is and has been a failure.

Want to hear the rest of them nut up and follow suit. Speak it, boys!!

They’ve managed to win a single playoff round in his 11 year career. “Cup or Bust” feels a little optimistic at this point

If you’re not trying to win the cup, what the f*** are you playing for?

Reactions: HockeyVirus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad