Blue Jays Discussion: 2024 Season (better title pending or maybe not ... )

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Serven has somehow been able to accrue -0.5 fWAR in under 100 PA the past two seasons. He is really really bad.

Heineman is a better player than Serven. The idea that Serven is magically the only catcher who can call games for Bowden Francis is absurd.
At no point did I say Severn was good. He was catching for a guy that was a great story for a team with not many of them this season. If his only value was to help build Bowden's confidence the rest of the season, I think there's value in that. As Eyedea said if he can't throw to anyone else that's a problem as well but some pitchers are funny like that. Didn't Manoah only like pitching to Kirk I think it was? But at the end of the day what was the value of swapping him for Heineman at this point of the season? Are we hoping to win the rest of the way? Is he the plan for our back up catcher for next season? It just seems like an odd move to me. Again, I don't think Severn was in the plans for next season so maybe they want to get him pitching to other catchers who knows. It just struck me as odd for a player that doesn't really have much in the way of upside themselves.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Vogelbach got 79 PA with the Jays. That's like three weeks worth of playing time. Having someone else in that spot who actually produced enough to earn more playing time would have been really helpful, but they definitely weren't patient with him.

Also, the IKF signing could not possibly have worked out better. It seems a bit odd to rail against modern baseball while also complaining about a guy who hit .292 with a bit of power, good baserunning, and excellent defense. IKF was one of the best player for the Jays in the first half and they flipped him for a prospect.

Agreed on IKF, but Vogelbach was DFA'ed after game 73 of the season on June 18 so he was here for about a week short of half the season.

It was obvious a couple weeks into the season that he was a guy with no role who wasn't performing (and didn't have a history of performing and was basically a replacement level player for his career) and they doubled down on him for another 2 months after that. And he was a 30+ guy with no future upside.

Horwitz was raking right off the bat in AAA and while I get that he had a poor spring training and maybe needed to go to Buffalo to start the year he should have been in Toronto and Vogelbach fired to the moon before the end of April. And if they'd have done that, it would have been worth at least a couple extra wins to have Horwitz getting Turner/Vogelbach ABs for a couple months.

Reactions: Vector

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
When did Varsho injure the shoulder? I do remember him crashing hard into the wall a while back, maybe that was it, sometime in august?

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Who are some free agent relievers the Jays should target in the offseason?

I just took a quick peek and there’s a lot of good relievers available this offseason. Will be interesting to see if they can pluck a couple that are maybe down in value. Loaisiga, Minter, Sewald, and Leclerc on my radar. Also Barlow was released last week. Massive drop in velo over the last few years but might be a fine buy low lottery there.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
If I was the Jays brass, I wouldn’t care about this season. There is a larger sample that shows that Bo is .800+ ops bat consistently.

Let’s say he goes back to that next year, who pays him more than 270M x 10 years on the open market? I’d give him that offer right now. Ok, maybe 250m x 10. That's a great offer considering he will be 37 by the end of it. How much does he think somebody will offer him? I don’t think he is a 30M a year guy.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Macko and Bloss and Wallace at AAA, I wonder who else will get cracks there.
I’ll be curious to hear what’s happened with Bloss at the end of the year. He only had 5 bad outings the whole year across levels, but did string together a few here at the end. Hitting a wall? Nagging injury? Hoping for health.
Also curious to see who survives the winter on the 40 man from the pen options, or who gets added?
Tate’s got a nice ML resume.
Easton Lucas has a nice minor league one, but not so much at the ML level.
Bash had a nice year.
Danner, Eisert have had solid years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad