Speculation: Offseason Thread XVII: Trade a spade for a jade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
If you think about it from Nash's perspective, SJ makes the most sense:

They're contenders. He can get his name on the cup.

His buddy is there. Joe Thornton, they torched the Swiss league together and won a Championship. Can try that can.

Their old guys are still performing. They can say hey Rick Look, we value our players and don't throw the elderly away, look we're winning this way. You can get a another great contract and live in Cali. You've got Pavelski, Couture, Hertl, Doonskoi, and more.

Come here and be happy Rick.

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
I don't like the Nash for Braun move. Don't see the hype over Tim Heed either. I'd like to get Jeremy Roy from SJS but they don't really have much else I'm interested in so it would be hard to make a good deal.

We should be making a move for Trouba.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
The problem with trying to move Nash for Trouba is his NTC.

If we're gunning for Trouba, it's not going to be Nash moving. It'll be Zucc, I think.

Unless Nash decides to waive his NTC entirely, that is.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I don't like the Nash for Braun move. Don't see the hype over Tim Heed either. I'd like to get Jeremy Roy from SJS but they don't really have much else I'm interested in so it would be hard to make a good deal.

We should be making a move for Trouba.

Unless there's a three way deal, a Nash for Trouba won't be in the cards.

I'm cool with a Staal for Myers trade though. I can live with that.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Yeah, this will most likely be the case.

I really, genuinely appreciate the fine line you guys are walking here (and I also recognize that it was probably a ridiculous request that there be some RANKING of vetting, nice as it would be). :)

And I also recognize that we don't want to discourage posters with real sources from sharing.

BUT it is very, very hard to take these posts seriously without knowing what the minimum baseline standard is to be qualified as "in the know". And I don't think that's an unfair request. I mean, is it a direct relationship with Gorton? Slats? Schoeny? A coach? A junior member of the FO staff? Drury? Gravy? A respected member of the media? A not so respected member of the media? A senior scout? A junior scout? A current player? An ex player? An immediate family member of one of the above? The cousin of any of the above? Someone who had beers once with one of the above? That's kind of my ranking - and I understand you can't tell us where on that scale any poster falls... But so long as we knew where the cutoff of vetted vs. not vetted was, I think there'd be a whole lot less griping about it.

I mean, we have pretty well defined rules for everything else, right? Why not this?

Last edited:

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Here's the trade that makes us better short term and long term while being realistic

Zucc and Skjei for Trouba and a solid prospect or 2nd round pick.

We have plenty on the left side and Ryan Graves will be pushing for a spot sooner than later.

We've got plenty of skilled wingers that need to play.

What we don't have? Prospects in the system and a top righty D man to grow with this core.

I like Skjei and Zucc as much as the next guy but trouba and a higher end pick make us better now and down the road. Good deal for both teams

New York RKY

Let's Go Rangers!
Sep 6, 2009
Arizona
Nobody understands the concept that WPG has no need for more wingers. No matter how many times it's been said here and by their fans.

I would love to be wrong on this one but I don't see us as trading partners with them.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Nobody understands the concept that WPG has no need for more wingers. No matter how many times it's been said here and by their fans.

I would love to be wrong on this one but I don't see us as trading partners with them.

And that San Jose can't take Nash (even 50% retained) unless we take some money back.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn

And that San Jose can't take Nash (even 50% retained) unless we take some money back.

STOP, you're spoiling the ENTERTAINMENT:shakehead

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Remember seeing a tweet the other day with this scenario, which is highly unlikely, but still funny:

If Gorton really wanted the Ducks to hate him -> Offersheet one of Rakell/Lindholm, forcing the Ducks to either overpay on a longterm deal, or risk them signing an offersheet with the Rangers. And then once the Ducks then sign them and don't have room for the other, Gorton than offersheets the second RFA.

I mean, I'd love me some Lindholm!

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I mean, Marleau would make a lot of sense, and has been linked to the Rangers in the past. Whenever a player is on the Rangers' radar, they play for the team at some point in their career. Martin St. Louis and Keith Yandle are the latest examples of players of players that have been on the Rangers' radar and arrived to the team somewhat unexpectedly.

The only advantage to offloading Nash and getting Marleau in return is one less year of commitment.

If salary needs to be sent the other way, the deal I proposed only needs to be slightly altered. Just take out the pick or prospect coming back to the Rangers. Deal is Nash and Fast or Klein for Marleau, Karlsson/Wingels, and Bergman/Roy.

Marleau could be dealt at the deadline for a pick if he is performing well

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Hmm, you're probably right.

LA may make some sense for Nash. Again though, not much cap space, and there's nothing terribly attractive to the Rangers unless they cough up Pearson and another good piece. Rangers would probably have to take back another bad contract too. LA has plenty for the long term; the Gaborik, Brown, and to a lesser extent Carter contracts aren't pretty.

Anaheim makes the most sense, despite the insistence of their fanbase. The Rangers can very easily take back Silfverberg and one of their defensive prospects and call it a day.

Give me silfverberg

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Yeah definitely. I'd rather have something to speculate on than nothing at all. And yet posters like you and Dagoon etc. get chased away when it doesn't materialize.

But anyway, back on topic, I like the possibility of Nash to SJ, but don't see a fit there. ANA is more of a fit, especially if we retain.

It could be a three way trade. Winnipeg, Los Angeles, San José, Anaheim, and Vancouver all have goals to make the playoffs this season.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Here's the trade that makes us better short term and long term while being realistic

Zucc and Skjei for Trouba and a solid prospect or 2nd round pick.

We have plenty on the left side and Ryan Graves will be pushing for a spot sooner than later.

We've got plenty of skilled wingers that need to play.

What we don't have? Prospects in the system and a top righty D man to grow with this core.

I like Skjei and Zucc as much as the next guy but trouba and a higher end pick make us better now and down the road. Good deal for both teams

Swap skjei for graves

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
Please also deny my vetting application, I have decided that it will be far too strenuous on my toxicity/pH levels to be a celebrity figure

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Yes. He's been vetted as of a few days ago. Dagoon is also vetted.

Someone mentioned a list of vetted posters and I think that's a good idea. We'll see if we can get something up for you guys.

Is that really necessary?

I think this is getting out of hand. Over the last decade I have met so many posters at this place that are tremendous resources, everything from people working for NHL teams to agents to parents to young players to reporters. Some have shared info directly on the board. Like 95% ends up being chased of the boards.

Why, why why why, does so many posters feel that they have a god given right to request that everything they read at this place is 100% confirmed? Why are they allowed to chase someone of the board just because the info it self -- like a rumor -- isn't liked by the poster?

If anyone drops any info at this place -- he will instantly be attacked by 20 posters. Why is that allowed? I definitely suggest that the people in charge of this place should consider if posters shall have a carte blanche to attack people providing insider information? I wonder if it wouldn't be a much better order if it was banned to challenge someone's credibility. If someone have any objections, it should go through the mods. Making up rumors should not be allowed, but I think sooner rather than later it would be pretty easy to spot who is a kid making stuff up and who isn't without even demanding vetting process. Like you and I who have been around for so long should pretty easily be able to spot what looks ok and what looks so fishy that we should require some kind of vetting.

Yes I have seen the other side, the old Canoe boards with 99ish% content consisting of people making up rumors. That's not good either, but this is getting absurd from another perspective. I do definitely feel that it's reasonable to request that some posters just skip posts that they don't like, they shouldn't be allowed to set the bar for everyone else. Like you know, they cannot know how "legit" some info is? Well can you when listening to Dreger? When reading any paper? No of course not. It's like New York Times has a really low standard in relation to what is requested by some posters at this place. What is that??

Sorry for the rant Kill, not directed at you! ;) Just feels this is getting out of hand.

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Jeff Gorton with an alias wouldn't last one week at this place.

Revel, BBKers is definitely vetted and very credible. He shouldn't have to explain himself ever, that will direct attention on him and subsequently his sources.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
If Nash can turn into a good young Dman It does make sense for the future but the top 6 gets a downgrade if it happens

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Ultimately my main point is that there's a real chance that Vesey and Buchnevich simply aren't ready for the NHL, and if you trade away a guy now thinking that they are, you're forcing them to play that role even if they're not suited just yet.

Erixon was supposed to be ready, Grachev too, as well as Gilroy. More recently, Fast was supposed to be ready 3 years ago and Mcilrath last year. Sometimes, players take longer to develop, sometimes they never do. Learned that lesson with Christian Dube two decades ago.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Thornton is signed for one more season. Doug Wilson may prefer to go in a different direction. He tried to trade Thornton after San Jose blew a 3-0 lead to LA in 2014. Thornton and Nash share the same agent. Thornton's brother.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Gorton said he has a teenage son who is active on social media. They asked Gorton if he was aware of the Vesey stuff on twitter and he said his son was keeping informed. His son probably reads everything associated with the Rangers including this place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad