Speculation: Offseason Thread XVII: Trade a spade for a jade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Twenty f*ckin years
Oct 8, 2010
I know three team trades NEVER happen, but a trade between us, Anaheim, and Winnipeg makes a lot of sense. Anaheim needs top-6 wingers. We have that. Winnipeg needs LHD. Anaheim has that. We need RHD. Winnipeg has that.

I just don't know what pieces would be going, exactly.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I know three team trades NEVER happen, but a trade between us, Anaheim, and Winnipeg makes a lot of sense. Anaheim needs top-6 wingers. We have that. Winnipeg needs LHD. Anaheim has that. We need RHD. Winnipeg has that.

I just don't know what pieces would be going, exactly.

I'd have think the base for that deal would involve Miller, Fowler, and Trouba, with us probably adding the next biggest piece somewhere

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I think the Rangers are more to include Zucc or Nash. I don't see Miller being involved.

They'd probably rather that for sure, but if the winger is going to the Ducks, Miller being cheaper and cost-controlled is definitely going to be the more attractive option with their internal budget

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
They'd probably rather that for sure, but if the winger is going to the Ducks, Miller being cheaper and cost-controlled is definitely going to be the more attractive option with their internal budget

And that's likely why Gorton has yet to make a deal.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Yes. He's been vetted as of a few days ago. Dagoon is also vetted.

Someone mentioned a list of vetted posters and I think that's a good idea. We'll see if we can get something up for you guys.

Would really appreciate it. Definitely a useful list for all users to know.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
The Ducks have $7.5M in cap space with Lindholm and Rakell still to sign. You'd have to think that Lindholm will get at least what Jones and Rielly got, which is in the neighborhood of $5-5.5M per year. He's a better player so maybe he could even get a bit more on a long-term deal.

That leaves less than $2M for Rakell who is coming off a 20+23 season because they have to have some space to operate the team. With both signed, they'd have 12F, 8D, and 2G with very little space left to operate the team. I can't see them wanting to take additional cap back in any trade. If anything they'll probably sell a little cheaper on Fowler in order to get some cap space. Zucc or Nash makes no sense for them.

I wouldn't deal Miller for Fowler unless we were getting another piece, and I'm not sure if Fowler has enough value to turn around and flip him for a guy like Trouba.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Remember seeing a tweet the other day with this scenario, which is highly unlikely, but still funny:

If Gorton really wanted the Ducks to hate him -> Offersheet one of Rakell/Lindholm, forcing the Ducks to either overpay on a longterm deal, or risk them signing an offersheet with the Rangers. And then once the Ducks then sign them and don't have room for the other, Gorton than offersheets the second RFA.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Yes. He's been vetted as of a few days ago. Dagoon is also vetted.

Someone mentioned a list of vetted posters and I think that's a good idea. We'll see if we can get something up for you guys.

Getting that list would be great. As would, if possible, some kind of ranking or system of understanding what LEVEL of sources folks have. Or at the very least what the cutoff is to have an "approved" source. I mean, if we have a poster who's Gorton's brother, that's waaay different from a poster who exchanges Christmas cards with Duguay - ya know?

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
You guys know this is a message board right. People that actually know people wouldn't be so quick to have themselves labeled on a board with the name of their sources next to them.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
You guys know this is a message board right. People that actually know people wouldn't be so quick to have themselves labeled on a board with the name of their sources next to them.

Totally understood and agreed. I have a potential source myself whom I've NEVER pressed for info, and if this person ever shared anything with me unsolicited I would want this person protected. But it is very frustrating that there are so many who share "info" but we have no idea how close to the source/reliable it is. Especially when we have certain vetted posters who seem (emphasis on seem) to only come here and share info that has already been rumored... miss 9 out of 10 times... and then when they get the one right come and pound their chests... despite the fact that it's something that Dreger or McKenzie (or bobbop) ALREADY shared. Really gets my goat.

Last edited by a moderator:

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
I said it when boobop posted his info, but I think the deal is going to be something like Nash and Fast or Klein for Wingels or Melker Karlsson, Bergman, and another pick or prospect.

San Jose has less than a million in cap space. Your proposed deal has them adding upwards of $5-8M.

They're not trading a major piece (which would be required to make the salary work) for Nash.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ

Totally understood and agreed. I have a potential source myself whom I've NEVER pressed for info, and if this person ever shared anything with me unsolicited I would want this person protected. But it is very frustrating that there are so many who share "info" but we have no idea how close to the source/reliable it is. Especially when we have certain vetted posters who seem (emphasis on seem) to only come here and share info that has already been rumored... miss 9 out of 10 times... and then when they get the one right come and pound their chests... despite the fact that it's something that Dreger or McKenzie (or BBKers or bobbop) ALREADY shared. Really gets my goat.

Seems like a double-edged sword to me. I think that would be something the mods and our vetted posters would have to talk about.

I also think there just needs to be a general understanding to newcomers and whatnot that the vetted sources on the board are just relaying info they heard, which may or may not end up being correct.

Also....hmmmmmmm...I think this might be getting OT.

Killem Dafoe

Hold my baby, man.
Jun 19, 2010
Land of Corn
Getting that list would be great. As would, if possible, some kind of ranking or system of understanding what LEVEL of sources folks have. Or at the very least what the cutoff is to have an "approved" source. I mean, if we have a poster who's Gorton's brother, that's waaay different from a poster who exchanges Christmas cards with Duguay - ya know?

We can't share exactly where they get their information, but at least having a list to work with will help a lot. If people are vetted, their sources are legit.

Exactly. It's because of this that we won't share who their sources are, but anyone who has inside info is urged to try and get vetted. Your sources will remain anonymous and we get to enjoy the information. :)

If anyone has inside info and doesn't want to get vetted because they don't want to put forward who their sources are, we completely understand, but rules are rules and they wouldn't be able to post rumors or rumblings.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
San Jose has less than a million in cap space. Your proposed deal has them adding upwards of $5-8M.

They're not trading a major piece (which would be required to make the salary work) for Nash.

Do the Sharks have a contract they want to offload?

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
We can't share exactly where they get their information, but at least having a list to work with will help a lot. If people are vetted, their sources are legit.

Exactly. It's because of this that we won't share who their sources are, but anyone who has inside info is urged to try and get vetted. Your sources will remain anonymous and we get to enjoy the information. :)

If anyone has inside info and doesn't want to get vetted because they don't want to put forward who their sources are, we completely understand, but rules are rules and they wouldn't be able to post rumors or rumblings.

Bingo. The only thing that people on this board will see is a list of vetted users who can be trusted because they have sources.

No list of who their sources are. Just a list of users who can be trusted. Just so we don't have people questioning all the time.

----------------------------------------------------------

Can be as simple as:

Mod-approved vetted HFNYR users with sources
  • Bobbop
  • Dagoon
  • etc...

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad