Speculation: Offseason Thread XVII: Trade a spade for a jade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
But Gorton has stealthily started to change things over the past month. A team criticized for looking old and creaky has started to make itself over. None of Gorton’s moves felt epic when viewed individually, but lay them out on a table together, and you’ll find a pattern. He’s made his team younger and significantly raised its ceiling at the forward position.

For starters, we learned Buchnevich would leave the KHL and play in North America this season. Does he make the Rangers? It’s no guarantee, but he’s favored to. He’s a relatively mature rookie as a 21-year-old with four years of pro experience in Russia, and he’s praised for his playmaking ability and hockey sense.

Then came the Derick-Brassard-for-Mika Zibanejad trade. Brassard outplayed Derek Stepan and became the Blueshirts’ de facto No. 1 center over the past two seasons, but Brassard wasn’t going to get any better. He’s 28. He’s a solid player, but he’s as good as he’ll ever be. Zibanejad, acquired straight up from the Ottawa Senators, isn’t done ascending. He brings good size, speed, skill and two-way acumen to the pivot position. He hasn’t taken off as a scorer the way many scouts thought he would when Ottawa picked him sixth overall in 2011, but his climb has been steady, from 1 to 20 to 33 to 46 to 51 points. He’s at worst a desirable No. 2 NHL center already, and he’s just 23, so he may become the Rangers’ long-term answer on the top line.

Then the Rangers, not the long-rumored Bruins or Maple Leafs or Blackhawks or Sabres, swooped in and nabbed Jimmy Vesey, the reigning Hobey Baker Award winner as hockey’s top college player. Vesey has become overhyped, no doubt, but he’s an intriguing prospect nonetheless. He’s a gifted scorer who climbed higher year to year than any other player in Future Watch 2016, going from unranked to 14th overall. He’s no guarantee to flourish, but there’s no debating his upside. He has two good mentors to learn from in Chris Kreider and Kevin Hayes, two of the NHL’s best NCAA imports over the past several seasons. Even if Vesey takes time to learn the pro game, he’s set up well to succeed.

Then Gorton struck Thursday with the sneakiest move of all, adding Brandon Pirri. He’s best known for his eye-popping “Cy Young†stat line of 22 goals and two assists in 2014-15 with the Florida Panthers, but he’s more than an answer to a trivia question. Pirri can score. He rarely gets enough ice time and opportunity to show his skills, but he’s one of the league’s more productive players on a per-minute basis. Think Kyle Palmieri before the Devils acquired him last season. He was always a 30-goal scorer but only needed top-six minutes to show everyone. Pirri may not get a plum assignment on a jammed Rangers depth chart, but he’s still a handy addition.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/the-new-york-rangers-have-quietly-changed-their-team-identity/

Jeffy needs to do the same with Zuccarello. Turn him into another young player with more upside than Zuccarello just like with Brassard for Zibanejad.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

Notice he said "west coast" teams, not western conference teams.

Anaheim, LA, SJS, Vancouver...

Perhaps you could lump in Arizona or Colorado in there. That's all I can come up with.

BUT.. there is something else.

Remember someone floated something the other day regarding NYR and SJS trading with each other?

I think this might be connected with what Dagoon tweeted.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Why too many? Let them fight for their spots. Whoever doesn't make it can go to Hartford or be picked off waivers

Eh, not a good way to do business. A lot of players won't be happy they signed on the team expecting a role, then all of a sudden 8 more forwards got signed :laugh:

I fully, 100% expect a trade to be made that gets rid of at least 1, maybe 2 forwards by the season start.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007

Perhaps you could lump in Arizona or Colorado in there. That's all I can come up with.

Remember someone floated something the other day regarding NYR and SJS trading with each other?

Good catch.

boobop cryptically posted something about NYR and SJ talking about a deal. San Jose certainly has some nice young prospects in the pipeline. Meier (though I'm not high on him personally), Goldobin, Bergman, Roy, etc.

Nash and Thornton are good friends. Nash would waive to go to SJ. SJ wants to add a piece or two to give them another shot at the Cup before Marleau and Thornton retire.

I said it when boobop posted his info, but I think the deal is going to be something like Nash and Fast or Klein for Wingels or Melker Karlsson, Bergman, and another pick or prospect.

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn

I believe bobhop thought San Jose was a player in trade talks. Hope not because a lot of us didn't see a whole lot that was of interest.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Good catch.

boobop cryptically posted something about NYR and SJ talking about a deal. San Jose certainly has some nice young prospects in the pipeline. Meier (though I'm not high on him personally), Goldobin, Bergman, Roy, etc.

Nash and Thornton are good friends. Nash would waive to go to SJ. SJ wants to add a piece or two to give them another shot at the Cup before Marleau and Thornton retire.

Is Boobop verified?

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ

Is Boobop verified?

From the way people around here talk about him...yes.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Good catch.

Is Boobop verified?

From the way people around here talk about him...yes.

I wish we had a list of vetted posters sometimes. Would make life easier, whether you choose to believe them or not.

Regardless, I think this is a good catch with SJ being a possibility.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
San Jose is an interesting thought. They're only going to have this high end mix of young core with good vets for so long.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I wish we had a list of vetted posters sometimes. Would make life easier, whether you choose to believe them or not.

Vetted or not, they can only report what they have heard. Just because they heard something, doesn't mean it will actually happen. Sometimes deals fall through or teams go to plan B or C if plan A isn't working out like they expected.

I have no doubt that Gorton has been trying to find the right deal for Nash, but who knows if it actually happens.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Vetted or not, they can only report what they have heard. Just because they heard something, doesn't mean it will actually happen. Sometimes deals fall through or teams go to plan B or C if plan A isn't working out like they expected.

I have no doubt that Gorton has been trying to find the right deal for Nash, but who knows if it actually happens.

Oh no, I agree with you 100%. I'm just saying a list of who is vetted so we can weed out the ones who are just saying things as opposed to the ones who actually have sources.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad