Speculation: Offseason Thread XVII: Trade a spade for a jade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
IF they moved Klein as part of something for another RHD, I think it's more likely things would go like

McD - Acquired player
Staal - McILrath
Skjei - Girardi

Holden

with McILrath having to defend his spot from Holden and possibly being on the bubble with it

I honestly think we are starting to overrate Skjei. He's only got a dozen NHL games under his belt, and he looked shaky in several of them. Right now, I'd guess the pairings are more like:

McD Klein
Staal McI/Girardi
Holden McI/Girardi

Skjei could very well start the season in the AHL. People on here have him penciled in on the first pair RHD or bumping out guys with a lot more experience. I just don't see it happening.

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
Given our need for Right D and the apparent fact that RD are harder to obtain than Gold Chocobos...

Why don't we just slot McDonagh in at RD? He's played it before on the world stage and proved to be quite capable. I could tolerate Staal-McD or Skjei-McD as a pairing. It also assumes that Girardi is a healthy scratch every night, with Klein and McIlrath playing 2nd and 3rd pair RD. Worth a shot, right?

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Given our need for Right D and the apparent fact that RD are harder to obtain than Gold Chocobos...

Why don't we just slot McDonagh in at RD? He's played it before on the world stage and proved to be quite capable. I could tolerate Staal-McD or Skjei-McD as a pairing. It also assumes that Girardi is a healthy scratch every night, with Klein and McIlrath playing 2nd and 3rd pair RD. Worth a shot, right?

Lmao, A+ reference.

I wouldn't move McDonagh to RD based on his history of shoulder injuries alone. I know, he could suffer the same thing playing on the left side but he'll me much more vulnerable on the right side.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Let me answer your question with a question.

If they have those seasons and we are trying to trade them both, which do you think teams would be willing to pay more for? The guy who has size and can play in all situations, or the guy who has bounced around from team to team because he's a one trick pony?

I guarantee you that Nash will return way more than Pirri. If Pirri has a 20/20 season, we might get a 3rd for him.

I don't know that I'd want to trade Pirri. If he plays a full season as a middle six winger, why should we want to trade him? He's only 25 and he has an excellent shot. Besides PMD's, the second biggest need for the Rangers is probably snipers. Thats what Pirri is. A pure goal scorer with a really good shot.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013

It's silly to put McD on the right and scratch Girardi...a $5.5 million scratch, and that ruins any potential for him to reclaim some value for the hell of it.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
So with Shattenkirk being a UFA in the summer, what's to stop the Rangers from trading for him, then Shattenkirk wanting to "test the market" only to just re-up with the Rangers after the expansion draft? Ethics aside, is there some sort of rule in place for that?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
1. I think Lundqvist absolutely would get claimed. Las Vegas would need to dress a team, hit the salary floor, sell tickets.
2. It seems like this plan involves sitting down with these players and convincing them they're worthless. Not sure that's wise.

It seems to me that most are more concerned about potentially losing a 32 year old Kevin Klein than I am.

1. Maybe, maybe not about Hank. If for some reason Gorton wants to try to get creative, he should explore the possibility with Hank. Talk to other teams, talk to McPhee, figure out whether or not Hank would get claimed in an expansion draft.

2. This is how the NHL salary cap era works. Older players on big contracts have no value, whether they are good or bad players. I think anyone should be able to realize that. Obviously Staal and Girardi would have to go along with that, but if for some reason Gorton can guarantee they don't get picked in the expansion draft and they agree to it, I don't know what the Rangers or the players have to lose. I'm not that concerned about keeping Klein either, but the Rangers should keep possibilities open. Maybe McIlrath has an excellent season. Maybe Holden does. Maybe the Rangers want to trade for a defenseman that would need to be exposed.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
So with Shattenkirk being a UFA in the summer, what's to stop the Rangers from trading for him, then Shattenkirk wanting to "test the market" only to just re-up with the Rangers after the expansion draft? Ethics aside, is there some sort of rule in place for that?
I don't even think it's ethically questionable.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013

I would imagine they'd try to have something in place, but there's going to be UFAs no way you slice it.

The teams are going to need to have enough players to meet the requirements, so they're going to lose something either way.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
1. Maybe, maybe not about Hank. If for some reason Gorton wants to try to get creative, he should explore the possibility with Hank. Talk to other teams, talk to McPhee, figure out whether or not Hank would get claimed in an expansion draft.
Seems like a lot of work and risk to make sure you can protect ... who?

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
Fowler is Tom Poti 2.0. Wouldn't take him for Nash unless they added a #1.

We're getting Keith Yandle back!?!? :sarcasm:

Edit: The teams with the most cap space at the moment (via generalfanager) are Carolina, New Jersey, Buffalo, Anaheim, Florida, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, and Boston.

I still think a fair value trade can be made with Carolina for one of their young dmen, but I'm not sure if Gorton would want to deal within the conference again. Is Calgary a dark horse here? They wouldn't move Dougie after one year, would they?

Last edited:

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I don't know that I'd want to trade Pirri. If he plays a full season as a middle six winger, why should we want to trade him? He's only 25 and he has an excellent shot. Besides PMD's, the second biggest need for the Rangers is probably snipers. Thats what Pirri is. A pure goal scorer with a really good shot.

That wasn't the point. The point was, who would have more value in that situation. Besides that, the entire argument is based on a projection that Pirri has never achieved and is unlikely to achieve this year. For all we know, he'll end up in Hartford.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Seems like a lot of work and risk to make sure you can protect ... who?

It would make less sense with Hank, the defenseman it could make more sense with.

I don't know how much work it is, but its Gorton's job to conduct business with other GM's and do his best to be as creative with constructing the roster as possible. If it works, it could benefit the Rangers.

How much risk is involved depends on the conversations Gorton has with McPhee and other GM's. Its at least worth exploring.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Fowler isn't god like the Ducks fan claim he is..but damn some of you are underrating him in here. He is a decent #3 dman who puts up points.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Fowler isn't god like the Ducks fan claim he is..but damn some of you are underrating him in here. He is a decent #3 dman who puts up points.

Thats what I think, and while he's a left shot, he can play the right side. He'd be a really good addition to the Rangers. Pair him with Staal.

The problem with trying to acquire him is that Anaheim fans seem to want to value him as a 1D or pretty close to it. If Murray is valuing him the same way, we can't give up what a 1D costs.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
It would make less sense with Hank, the defenseman it could make more sense with.

I don't know how much work it is, but its Gorton's job to conduct business with other GM's and do his best to be as creative with constructing the roster as possible. If it works, it could benefit the Rangers.

How much risk is involved depends on the conversations Gorton has with McPhee and other GM's. Its at least worth exploring.
Yeah, I have no problem exploring every avenue for not having to protect Staal and Girardi in the expansion draft. It might be as simple as saying "you're going to be on the team next year, do you want Klein to be too?"

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

He's a gong show in his own end and most of his production has come off of playing on the PP with great players.

He had like 9 points at ES last season and has never been a good point producer at ES.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
Yeah, I have no problem exploring every avenue for not having to protect Staal and Girardi in the expansion draft. It might be as simple as saying "you're going to be on the team next year, do you want Klein to be too?"

Hopefully Girardi is bought out or traded and we wont have to worry about him waiving

Mr Clutch

Jan 21, 2014
Virginia
Are there any rhd that are completely off the radar that we could land? Yandle was a surprise to nearly everyone. Maybe we do something like that again? Thought on potential players?

TheGuarantee

Jul 1, 2016
He's saying IF Pirri had a 20-20 year

Pirri's best year was also last year when he went 14-15 in 61 games, so he's within spitting distance of a 20-20 year

If you're basing it off of that; Rick Nash is a season removed of 50 goals. But yeah you're both right lets keep the guy who sucks at every facet of hockey besides shooting the puck :laugh:

And yeah agree with the guy who wants to keep Lundqvist unprotected as well. Do better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad