Speculation: Offseason Thread XVII: Trade a spade for a jade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I have to think that's McIlrath.

it HAS to be a LHD. we are so short on RHD. Unless we're getting a clear upgrade, I don't want McIlrath moved...

EDIT: Unless it's Klein--McIlrath can step right in and take Klein's minutes no doubt

Doctor King Schultz

Garian Maborik
May 3, 2012
NYC
Im not sure that its my place to give his twitter handle but if you message him, im sure he will!

for what its worth, I've seen posters give out his Twitter account in other threads when people asked for it. I think he'd want more followers if anything. I'd give it but I forgot what it is.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
i really want to know what you're smoking if you'd rather protect Brandon ****ing Pirri than Rick Nash.

Okay, so answer me this.

Pirri has a 20-20 season with 40 points. Nash had a 25-25 season with 50 points. Pirri is a RFA at age 26, Nash has one more year left on his deal at age 33 before he hits free agency. Why are you keeping Nash?

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Im not saying we should... I'm saying we will.
I want to trade Nash but not if we aren't getting anything for it.. Plus I think all our young talent could use a veteran to teach them how to score in the NHL

Well of course, if the deal isn't good for us, we shouldn't do it. No one is saying that we should trade Nash just to get rid of him. We should trade him because we can get something of value for him that will help us more in the future than Nash will. He's going to be gone within 2 years, one way or another.

If Nash is still on the team, playing well, and we are a bubble team, I think Gorton will trade him. He will trade him for players that can help us now and in the future, but he will trade him. Again, the Gaborik trade is the model for this. If Nash is playing well, that just means we can squeeze even more out of the acquiring team.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Okay, so answer me this.

Pirri has a 20-20 season with 40 points. Nash had a 25-25 season with 50 points. Pirri is a RFA at age 26, Nash has one more year left on his deal at age 33 before he hits free agency. Why are you keeping Nash?

Yeah I'm with you on this one, though really it'd be better to be able to move Nash this year to a team that thinks they can use him to contend.

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC
gabborik situation completely different.. he was a pure offense guy who wasnt scoring on a team coached by the most defensefirst coach ever. Nash would probably kept even if it just for 2-way play

We know the team is looking to get younger and Nash is one of the older guys. There are injury concerns, he has a large cap hit, and he has failed to score consistently in the playoffs. If somebody offers up some quality pieces that will be useful for much longer than Nash it seems difficult to imagine Gorton saying no.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
it HAS to be a LHD. we are so short on RHD. Unless we're getting a clear upgrade, I don't want McIlrath moved...

EDIT: Unless it's Klein--McIlrath can step right in and take Klein's minutes no doubt

as of this moment, Klein is our top pairing RHD. McIlrath isn't stepping into those minutes. If he had to, you might be looking at Blackburn Pt II.

However, if we acquire an actual top-pairing RHD and the minutes Mcilrath was replacing was on second pair, that could be doable.

But realistically, McIlrath is on the bubble looking in. Skjei is projected third-pair RHD with Holden as a partner. For just McIlrath forcing Holden out and Skjei to his natural side would be an accomplishment we should all be grateful for.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Well of course, if the deal isn't good for us, we shouldn't do it. No one is saying that we should trade Nash just to get rid of him. We should trade him because we can get something of value for him that will help us more in the future than Nash will. He's going to be gone within 2 years, one way or another.

If Nash is still on the team, playing well, and we are a bubble team, I think Gorton will trade him. He will trade him for players that can help us now and in the future, but he will trade him. Again, the Gaborik trade is the model for this. If Nash is playing well, that just means we can squeeze even more out of the acquiring team.

That was a Sather move...not a Gorton move. In any case, we have so much youth right now that keeping one productive older Forward is not going to leave the team unprepared now or in the future. Nash's example can only help our younger forwards grow in this league.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Okay, so answer me this.

Let me answer your question with a question.

If they have those seasons and we are trying to trade them both, which do you think teams would be willing to pay more for? The guy who has size and can play in all situations, or the guy who has bounced around from team to team because he's a one trick pony?

I guarantee you that Nash will return way more than Pirri. If Pirri has a 20/20 season, we might get a 3rd for him.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
as of this moment, Klein is our top pairing RHD. McIlrath isn't stepping into those minutes. If he had to, you might be looking at Blackburn Pt II.

However, if we acquire an actual top-pairing RHD and the minutes Mcilrath was replacing was on second pair, that could be doable.

But realistically, McIlrath is on the bubble looking in. Skjei is projected third-pair RHD with Holden as a partner. For just McIlrath forcing Holden out and Skjei to his natural side would be an accomplishment we should all be grateful for.

IF they moved Klein as part of something for another RHD, I think it's more likely things would go like

McD - Acquired player
Staal - McILrath
Skjei - Girardi

Holden

with McILrath having to defend his spot from Holden and possibly being on the bubble with it

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If a team really wanted to find a loophole for the expansion draft, they could have all their big contract players in their 30's waive their NMC's, and put themselves into the expansion draft. Girardi, Staal, even Hank. Yeah, he's really good, but what team wants his contract in two or three seasons? No one. What incentive would Las Vegas have to pick him over younger goalies who could be better in two or three seasons when they will be stuck with his contract?

It's just a matter of how creative Gorton can get. I don't see why any of them wouldn't waive their NMC's to head into the expansion draft if they were guaranteed to remain a Ranger, unless its a pride thing. They'd be helping out the team by letting the team protect other players with lesser contracts that teams are more likely to covet. The problem becomes can Gorton guarantee them that they will stay a Ranger. Can he reach an agreement with McPhee that none of these players will be picked? Will that agreement cost a draft pick or two? Will it be free? How well can he read the market on what McPhee plans to do for the expansion draft?

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Eh, but can you waive your NMC and then rescind that after the draft? I don't think so...so the players would have given away their NMC and exposed themselves to being moved otherwise.

Which is a benefit to the team but unlikely players would do that

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Montour could possibly be had, but only for an ideal return. Otherwise it's best to hold on and see if he takes to the NHL as well as he has each other level along the way. JT Miller is exactly what the Ducks need and is basically the only piece I see working from our end.
Miller is not going, C depth critical w/Stepan likely to go.

Zuc is the only fit, take it or leave it Ana...

Montour+2nd for Miller works for us.
Is it Montour for Miller straight up or bust for you guys?

I think Miller has more value than Montour. Montour is what Miller was a few years ago, a highly rated, but not elite prospect. Miller has turned into a top 6 NHL player, Montour could turn into a top 4D. I don't feel like it makes sense to trade a young top 6 forward for a top 4D prospect, unless there's something added in. I like the idea of a Miller for Montour trade as the base, but there needs to be more in it for the Rangers to make the commitment to trade the proven commodity for prospect.

No.
I would make an exception if there was a scenario, we kept McIlrath Graves and Skeji, and sent a Calle Anderson type and a pick with Miller for
Montour AND Theodore, both expansion exempt
otherwise no. and they will not go that deep in D reserves just for JT, even if he was 15OA and versatile.

They're like twelve though. penciling them in to top spots is a stretch id say at their ages no?

I think they could use a top 6 proven wing desperately and a lefty D.

Would you build a deal around Skjei and trouba? I'd add zucc if they gave me back a 2nd round pick or a solid prospect if I'm being honest

No. We MUST get younger
McDonagh
Skjei is ELC exempt, moving him is EXTREMELY counterproductive

Franson would be fine also, and the price a lot lower.

McD/Klein
Staal/Franson
Skjei/McIlrath

Girardi

Doesn't look bad at all.

want nothing to do with Franson, unless Girardi goes the other way, and he has no NMC.

==============

Guys, let's be careful here.
We can take on inferior talent, temporarily, and $$ but we can't accept NMC guys we have no choice but to protect.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
That was a Sather move...not a Gorton move. In any case, we have so much youth right now that keeping one productive older Forward is not going to leave the team unprepared now or in the future. Nash's example can only help our younger forwards grow in this league.

If Dagoon is right and a Nash trade happens before the season, then this is all just conjecture anyway, but I would think that Gorton would be even more inclined to make a deal like that than Sather was.

Having Nash around to mentor the younger players is overrated. Stepan, Staal, Girardi, McDonagh, Klein, Holden, Zucc, Grabner...Glass if he's still around. They've all been around long enough to provide the leadership and mentoring our young guys need. Trading Nash isn't going to turn us into Edmonton.

a tribe cq

That’s just like…your opinion man.
Jan 15, 2013
excuse my ignorance, but when has Pirri every been a 20-20 player...?

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Nash out west. Dman involved. Trouba? Fowler? Lindholm?

Someone younger than those guys, maybe? Like Montour, Dougherty, etc.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
there is a known negative effect, both statistical and the eye test, to playing your off side as a defenseman. one has to wonder is the marginal improvement of playing Skjei on the right side versus the left, better than simply playing him on the strong side and someone else on the right...i guess in this case, with Girardi being the other defenseman there...it probably is better to play skjei on his off side.

I think the negative effect depends on the d-man. Guys who don't skate as well tend to struggle more on their off-side (not scientific or analytical, just from what I've noticed). Guys who can skate really well tend to be better at it (makes it easier to maintain balance when moving the stick in an awkward direction, I think).

With that in mind, I don't think it would be awful to play Skjei on the right side. I also don't think we should be counting on him overly much, as he still only has half a dozen or so NHL games under his belt. It's entirely possible the Skjei isn't ready for the NHL on EITHER side to start the season. And with the depth on the left that we have, I don't think we should rush him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad