Speculation: Offseason Thread XVII: Trade a spade for a jade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Thompson being on LTIR doesn't do anything for us other than open a roster spot. It has zero effect on the cap unless we are at or near the cap ceiling, which we aren't at the moment. Thompson will still count against the cap even if he is placed on LTIR.

Fair enough, I was operating under the belief that being placed on LTIR provides relief from that cap hit regardless of a team's cap situation, didn't realize there was more to that rule.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Interesting footnote on that chart: it says goalie RFAs count if not contracted. Does that mean guys like Jooris and Pirri would NOT count if not yet signed? If so, a pretty easy way to protect your skaters would be to not re-sign any RFAs until after the expansion draft... (I'm guessing it's a typo/mistake?)

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I agree. He's a stopgap, but affordable and probably effective in that role. He has a contract year coming up, so everybody wins if he comes here and lights it up for a season and we move on to another option when it appears. Also, its not like he's some aged mercenary. He's younger than Klein.

Franson is a big guy but he's soft for his size and Klein's much better defensively. Franson had 3 straight 30+ point seasons but last year he dropped into the teens. Franson's not super expensive but Klein is a bit cheaper and much better bang for the buck. Klein 26 points in 69 games and over the last two years some big clutch goals and the better defender. Franson 17 points in 59 games last year.

Of all the Buffalo right shot D I'd wonder how much they'd want for Nelson to be honest. Young guy--cheaper contract. He looked really good at the end of last year.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Unless there's another D acquisition, would it be that big of a deal?

Hard to say now, considering how much can change between now and then. Who steps up and deserves to be protected.

I know now, and I think I can safely assume that this will happen next off-season, that not protecting McIlrath/Klein because we have to protect Girardi is bad. Even if they aren't going to be picked. Why take that chance?

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Interesting footnote on that chart: it says goalie RFAs count if not contracted. Does that mean guys like Jooris and Pirri would NOT count if not yet signed? If so, a pretty easy way to protect your skaters would be to not re-sign any RFAs until after the expansion draft... (I'm guessing it's a typo/mistake?)

you need to expose atleast 2F and 1D signed thru next year (forget how many games they need to play). so jooris and pirri could still be claimed, but wouldn't count toward our minimum forward exposure unless resigned first.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Girardi could waive his NMC for the expansion draft in return for the Rangers not buying him out for 17-18. That's assuming G can make it through the season in one piece. McPhee is not taking that contract. If G is destined for long term IR,he can waive the NMC. Spend the next 3 seasons collecting his money. That's still a tough situation for the Rangers. They only benefit if they are at or near the upper limit.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Thanks!

Hmmmmmmm...

I think Gorton will try his best to remove one or both of Staal/Girardi by the time expansion rolls around. I think Girardi is headed towards one of retirement/buyout/Robidas Island.

Staal...I'm not so sure. Tough call, and I think it's hinged on how well Staal bounces back this year. Between him and Girardi, he is the one I have the least issues with protecting.

If the Rangers are able to fix one, I think we're in pretty good shape for expansion. We'll lose only one of Lindberg/Fast/Holden/Grabner (assuming they aren't moved beforehand). That wouldn't be a huge loss.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If Gorton can manage to fix both...

yXFRub4.png

Ideally, both Nash and Klein would be moved before the draft, bringing back players that we don't mind losing and/or players who are exempt. For example, if we traded Nash to Anaheim for Cogliano and Montour. Montour would be exempt and Cogliano, who cares if he gets taken. That enables us to then protect one of Fast/Lindberg.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Do the Coyotes still need to reach the cap floor? Can we trade Rick Nash for Michael Stone?

They are well over the cap floor:

http://www.generalfanager.com/teams/arizona-coyotes

Next year is when they may have issues reaching the cap floor, though the trade for Bolland helped with that, and they still have to sign Rieder.

With Las Vegas coming into the league, there will be less players available, but the Arizona GM has done a good job of preparing for that.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Watch Nash have a bounce back season and the debate will be whether or not to trade Nash at the deadline. The Rangers are a playoff team and they need him to make a "run" at the Cup. The Rangers should trade Nash now that he has reestablished his value and the Rangers are not really a Cup contender.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Watch Nash have a bounce back season and the debate will be whether or not to trade Nash at the deadline. The Rangers are a playoff team and they need him to make a "run" at the Cup. The Rangers should trade Nash now that he has reestablished his value and the Rangers are not really a Cup contender.

This is 100% going to happen.

And, if the Rangers are in playoff position at the deadline, they should keep him :)

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
if the rangers are in a playoff position we arent selling anyone... maybe a prospect to add more guys to the current team.

we are going for the cup

Lundy HOF

May 23, 2016
This is 100% going to happen.

And, if the Rangers are in playoff position at the deadline, they should keep him :)

Barring Hank going full carry mode - can this D AS IS realistically make a cup run? I agree though IF we trade Miller for a RH PMD, and we look good come the deadline you keep Nash. If the young guns and the new adds play up to expectations - this may be the deepest forward group we have ever had.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Barring Hank going full carry mode - can this D AS IS realistically make a cup run? I agree though IF we trade Miller for a RH PMD, and we look good come the deadline you keep Nash. If the young guns and the new adds play up to expectations - this may be the deepest forward group we have ever had.

Way this team is situated right now, they're going to have to win a lot of 4-3 games where Hank stands on his head.

The issue is, with this defense, I don't know if our forwards will have the puck enough to put the amount of shots necessary on net for four goals.

If we've got a player logging 15 minutes a night during 5v5 where when he's on the ice the Rangers have 10 shot attempts and give up 15 shot attempts. Well. There's going to need to be some heavy lifting from other d-pairs.

I'm uncertain we have the personnel for that.

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC
if the rangers are in a playoff position we arent selling anyone... maybe a prospect to add more guys to the current team.

we are going for the cup

They moved Gabby with a playoff run on the horizon. No reason to think they couldn't/wouldn't make a similar sort of move with Nash.

What a blunder that would be.

Guaranteed groinconcussion first game after the deadline if that happens.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
people are considering our defense the same guys that got ran out of the building twice by pittsburgh...

pending AV stupidity we can be seeing a completely different defense

Mcdonagh-klein
Staal-Skjei
Holden-Mcilrath
girardi,clendenning as extras

we could be much better just by using the proper players and having our guys mature a bit more

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
They moved Gabby with a playoff run on the horizon. No reason to think they couldn't/wouldn't make a similar sort of move with Nash.

Guaranteed groinconcussion first game after the deadline if that happens.

gabborik situation completely different.. he was a pure offense guy who wasnt scoring on a team coached by the most defensefirst coach ever. Nash would probably kept even if it just for 2-way play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad