Speculation: Offseason Thread XVII: Trade a spade for a jade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
When it comes down to it, I think there are teams hungrier for Fowler than the Rangers who already have a lot of LHD. A Boston fan proposed Spooner + Senyshyn and a lot of their fans seemed in favor of it. There's also Detroit fans willing to give up Tatar + another strong asset. Those teams would consider Fowler their top LHD and that probably takes their interest farther than the Rangers would go, but I could be wrong.

Montour really does seem like the best fit for your needs.

nope, you got it right! If McDonagh and Skjei were Right handed defenseman, we'd probably be VERY interested in Fowler as a top 4 guy. Likewise, if Fowler was a RHD, We'd absolutely be interested.

Fowler to the Rangers doesn't make sense with McDonagh, Skjei, on the big team, and Graves on his way--this doesn't even mention that Staal is still on this team.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
what do the jets need? i look at their lineup on paper and they should have a really good team...so strange they never seem to make the playoffs.

Goaltending has been a big problem...also young players still maturing and injuries I think? I dunno, always seem like an up and comer that isn't quite there yet

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
Feels like they might move zucc. Idk what the plan with this roster is the only thing I'm thinking is that they aren't done yet

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
also, FYI, even though i just got through saying that Honka was my first choice, i'll edit that and say that my first choice is either Trouba or Ellis..those 2 guys would be PERFECT for this team. but Honka is my first realistic choice. and i just think that Dallas might be a better fit for what we have to offer.

I don't see why Dallas is a good trading partner really...their issue is that their D is bad and their goaltending is mediocre, and we're expecting them to trade away a good D prospect for forward help?

Hell, they just signed Hudler.

Dunno, feels more like something people wish would happen rather than something that has a realistic chance of happening

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
With Franson, Bogosian, Nelson and Ristolainen all RHS, have to think Buffalo is a good trade partner.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I don't see why Dallas is a good trading partner really...their issue is that their D is bad and their goaltending is mediocre, and we're expecting them to trade away a good D prospect for forward help?

Hell, they just signed Hudler.

Dunno, feels more like something people wish would happen rather than something that has a realistic chance of happening

I think the idea is that Dallas needs to contend now, so someone who is primed and NHL-experienced like Klein or Staal would be appealing to them.

But they're not going to trade a primed D prospect for either of them.

Staal to Buffalo makes more sense
Staal to Minnesota makes sense
Staal to Winnipeg makes sense, but not for Trouba--perhaps additional assets that could be flipped to another team.

Nash/Lindberg/Miller to Anaheim also make sense

There will need to be a 3 way trade for any of this to work. I think NYR/ANA/WPG could swing something because each team has something the other team needs

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
3 way trades really don't happen often so I have huge doubts about the logistics of that stuff

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Risto is a fascinating player. A guy beloved as a future elite #1 D-man, yet his advanced stats say otherwise.

I'm looking forward to tracking his career.

Franson would be fine also, and the price a lot lower.

McD/Klein
Staal/Franson
Skjei/McIlrath

Girardi

Doesn't look bad at all.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Thompson is out until at least March so I'm assuming he will be placed on LTIR at some point.

Thompson being on LTIR doesn't do anything for us other than open a roster spot. It has zero effect on the cap unless we are at or near the cap ceiling, which we aren't at the moment. Thompson will still count against the cap even if he is placed on LTIR.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Franson would be fine also, and the price a lot lower.

McD/Klein
Staal/Franson
Skjei/McIlrath

Girardi

Doesn't look bad at all.

Franson's only really a target for a short term contention, and again the feeling we've gotten is the Rangers want to get younger for the long term

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Franson's only really a target for a short term contention, and again the feeling we've gotten is the Rangers want to get younger for the long term

I agree. He's a stopgap, but affordable and probably effective in that role. He has a contract year coming up, so everybody wins if he comes here and lights it up for a season and we move on to another option when it appears. Also, its not like he's some aged mercenary. He's younger than Klein.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York

I don't think we are really at risk to losing anyone that good.

Some might say Klein, but is it really such a big departure? Unless he's extended, and we shouldn't be giving an extension to a player of his age, he'll have one more year left on his contract. Las Vegas might not even want a player with a year left on his contract. Even then, I'd hope this team isn't in a position when a 32 year old 4/5D is so important, and can't be left unprotected in the expansion draft.

I don't know if we should protect Nash. Same scenario as Klein, one year left on his contract. Maybe if Nash has a really good season, it'll be easier to justify protecting a player who has one year left on his contract, but if he doesn't, it opens up a spot to protect a player like Pirri, if he has a really good season. If Nash has a really good season and Pirri also has a really good season, it'll probably mean one of the other forwards does not have a good season. The Rangers aren't going to be scoring 5 goals a game, so its likely if one or two player unexpectedly has a really good season, another one or two has a poor season. Maybe thats Kreider, maybe thats Hayes, maybe its Miller. If there's a dilemma with having more forwards needed to protect than spots available to protect them, we can always trade one of them.

All the other players are spare parts.

TheGuarantee

Jul 1, 2016
I don't think we are really at risk to losing anyone that good.

Some might say Klein, but is it really such a big departure? Unless he's extended, and we shouldn't be giving an extension to a player of his age, he'll have one more year left on his contract. Las Vegas might not even want a player with a year left on his contract.

I don't know if we should protect Nash. Same scenario as Klein, one year left on his contract. Maybe if Nash has a really good season, it'll be easier to justify protecting a player who has one year left on his contract, but if he doesn't, it opens up a spot to protect a player like Pirri, if he has a really good season. If Nash has a really good season and Pirri also has a really good season, it'll probably mean one of the other forwards does not have a good season. The Rangers aren't going to be scoring 5 goals a game, so its likely if one or two player unexpectedly has a really good season, another one or two has a poor season. Maybe thats Kreider, maybe thats Hayes, maybe its Miller. If there's a dilemma with having more forwards needed to protect than spots available to protect them, we can always trade one of them.

All the other players are spare parts.

i really want to know what you're smoking if you'd rather protect Brandon ****ing Pirri than Rick Nash.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
The expansion draft protections and exposures

Thanks!

Protected:

Hayes, Zibanejad, Stepan, Nash, Miller, Zuccarello, Kreider, McDonagh, Staal, Girardi, Lundqvist

Exempted:

Vesey, Buchnevich, Skjei

Commissioner Gorton

Hmmmmmmm...

I think Gorton will try his best to remove one or both of Staal/Girardi by the time expansion rolls around. I think Girardi is headed towards one of retirement/buyout/Robidas Island.

Staal...I'm not so sure. Tough call, and I think it's hinged on how well Staal bounces back this year. Between him and Girardi, he is the one I have the least issues with protecting.

If the Rangers are able to fix one, I think we're in pretty good shape for expansion. We'll lose only one of Lindberg/Fast/Holden/Grabner (assuming they aren't moved beforehand). That wouldn't be a huge loss.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If Gorton can manage to fix both...

yXFRub4.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad