Offseason Roster Discussion part 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Kalynuk will be on Hawks roster

Sadly Beaudin will likely be in AHL given the Hawks extended Stillman and have lesser Jones on NHL roster as well

If I had to guess I expect we will see

McCabe-Jones
Kalynuk-Murphy
Stillman-CDH
(Jones)

CDH/Jones/Stillman rotating in and out of lineup on 3rd pair

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
With all the additions on defense, where do you folks see Kalynuk and Beaudin playing this season?

NHL or AHL? And why?

Thanks
If they intend on playing De Haan, I think Beaudin is in Rockford unfortunately.

McCabe-Jones
Kalynuk-Murphy
De Haan-Mitchell
Stillman

I'd much rather play Beaudin in the NHL over De Haan since De Haan has nothing to do with our future.

Stillman as the 7thD makes the most sense to me, but I could see them forcing Jones into that spot for the sake of their weird brother narrative.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
The argument that young Dman can't develop in the AHL is simply wrong. If time in RFD is what Beaudin needs then so be it. I'd prefer to see the poised and confident player (that we see early last season) over the one we saw later on. I think that regression in his play was related to Beaudin being a tad overwhelmed, physically and mentally. Hopefully, he has worked on his strength this summer which should go a long way in his development.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
If they intend on playing De Haan, I think Beaudin is in Rockford unfortunately.

McCabe-Jones
Kalynuk-Murphy
De Haan-Mitchell
Stillman

I'd much rather play Beaudin in the NHL over De Haan since De Haan has nothing to do with our future.

Stillman as the 7thD makes the most sense to me, but I could see them forcing Jones into that spot for the sake of their weird brother narrative.
Stillman and Jones (and Beaudin) are way ahead of Mitchell right now.
Give Beaudin and Mitchell the start in Rockford and if it goes well hopefully they grow to be better than them. The team is then improved moving forward.

Reactions: Giovi and BobbyJet

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
I think it's rare you go through the season with 7D. There's always injuries and I would expect whatever combo of Stillman, C. Jones, Beaudin, Kalynuk and Mitchell to fill the spots. If Beaudin or Mitchell or both spend more time in the A, it's fine. I just think the level of competition for spots should be higher.

If I had to predict, I would say Stillman and Kalynuk make the opening night roster but I haven't seen C. Jones play much so who knows and Beaudin and Mitchell may come to camp ready to take a step.

I think de Haan it's his last season as a Hawk if he doesn't get traded so there are spots. If the kids outplay him, he will get bumped down.

The core for D is S. Jones, McCabe and Murphy. There are spots to be earned.

Reactions: Muffinalt

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006

McCabe-Jones
Kalynuk-Murphy
De Haan-Mitchell
Stillman

agreed, that said my guess is DeHaan will be on LTIR before long

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

McCabe-Jones
Kalynuk-Murphy
De Haan-Mitchell
Stillman

Unless there are injuries or the Blackhawks intend to keep 8 defenders, Kalnyuk will most likely start in Rockford. Jones and Stillman are not waiver exempt and I don't think the Blackhawks would risk to lose them for nothing even before opening night. Beaudin will be in Rockford anyway so it's between Kalnyuk and Mitchell but since he's one of just three righties in the mix, expect Mitchell to make the roster and play.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Stillman and Jones (and Beaudin) are way ahead of Mitchell right now.
Give Beaudin and Mitchell the start in Rockford and if it goes well hopefully they grow to be better than them. The team is then improved moving forward.

I don't disagree with you but just like last season, there's no alternative. The only option to avoid playing Mitchell is to move one of the lefties to his off side. None of them ever did that successfully at NHL level. Not many defenders can do it at NHL level. Exceptions like Pesce are very rare. The Blackhawks are short of righty defenders for a while now. Alec Regula is a promising prospect but I don't think he's made a lot of progress lately. And there's nobody else in the system, really.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I don't disagree with you but just like last season, there's no alternative. The only option to avoid playing Mitchell is to move one of the lefties to his off side. None of them ever did that successfully at NHL level. Not many defenders can do it at NHL level. Exceptions like Pesce are very rare. The Blackhawks are short of righty defenders for a while now. Alec Regula is a promising prospect but I don't think he's made a lot of progress lately. And there's nobody else in the system, really.
But you, as did last year, here are showing you are putting your view over what we can easily see JC values. He has shown he's not intensely committed to needing handedness in spot over his view of the better player. You care about that, Babcock, cared heavily about it, but clearly JC doesn't.

Kalynuk and Stillman played RD under him last year plenty games. Many other LD did and over the Mitchell or Regula options.

Simply, Mitchell has no leg up on the roster over Stillman, C Jones, of Kalynuk under JC by being a RHD.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
But you, as did last year, here are showing you are putting your view over what we can easily see JC values. He has shown he's not intensely committed to needing handedness in spot over his view of the better player. You care about that, Babcock, cared heavily about it, but clearly JC doesn't.

Kalynuk and Stillman played RD under him last year plenty games. Many other LD did and over the Mitchell or Regula options.

Simply, Mitchell has no leg up on the roster over Stillman, C Jones, of Kalynuk under JC by being a RHD.

That is untrue. The Blackhawks almost always had three righties in the lineup and when they didn't, the experiment failed. The Blackhawks don't have a defender capable of playing his off side at NHL level. Again...the ones who can do it at NHL level without their lvl of play dropping significantly you can probably count on one hand leaguewide every season. It's a very difficult thing to do, a difficult adjustment to make.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
That is untrue. The Blackhawks almost always had three righties in the lineup and when they didn't, the experiment failed. The Blackhawks don't have a defender capable of playing his off side at NHL level. Again...the ones who can do it at NHL level without their lvl of play dropping significantly you can probably count on one hand leaguewide every season. It's a very difficult thing to do, a difficult adjustment to make.
If so, Kalynuk, Beaudin, and Stillman would of shown to be significantly better their Ld games than RD games... but none of that occurred. No, it's not the assessment of every scenario. Especially when its 3rd pairing guys playing 3rd pair minutes, it's not some tragic hampering because many guys have to grow to adapt on the ice in the AHL especially when teams have extra LDs.

Kalynuk probably before never played RD and it seemed a big reason he didn't play early on. But he did and played well there, he wasn't significantly better when playing LD with Murphy as his partner. These are not situations that exist in a vacuum you have to stay in a black & white stipulation on.

Kalynuk was better than Mitchell and if it's a situation he's not in the top 4, he'll probably play RD on the 3rd pair.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
If so, Kalynuk, Beaudin, and Stillman would of shown to be significantly better their Ld games than RD games... but none of that occurred. No, it's not the assessment of every scenario. Especially when its 3rd pairing guys playing 3rd pair minutes, it's not some tragic hampering because many guys have to grow to adapt on the ice in the AHL especially when teams have extra LDs.

Kalynuk probably before never played RD and it seemed a big reason he didn't play early on. But he did and played well there, he wasn't significantly better when playing LD with Murphy as his partner. These are not situations that exist in a vacuum you have to stay in a black & white stipulation on.

Kalynuk was better than Mitchell and if it's a situation he's not in the top 4, he'll probably play RD on the 3rd pair.

Kalynuk played RD in camp/scrimmages and I think he's played RD before. Still, he played much better on the left side...also got more minutes when playing LD I believe. Again, it's not an easy thing to do. There are sometimes experiments during regular season but you very rarely see it during playoffs because poor guys playing their off side would have target written all over them. If you're not one of those exceptional players who can play their off side really well then you're gonna get exposed.

I'm pretty sure Mitchell does have the right shooting edge and it's therefore his spot to lose. If there's not injuries or Mitchell shitting the bed completely, I think Kalynuk and Beaudin will start in Rockford and either Jones or Stillman will serve as 7th D.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

Murphy can and has played both sides well.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Murphy can and has played both sides well.

:laugh:

When was that?:popcorn:

But even if...it would be useless for the Blackhawks now...they need RD's, not LD's.

The lefty with the most RD experience is DeHaan but he's brutal on his off side.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
:laugh:

When was that?:popcorn:

But even if...it would be useless for the Blackhawks now...they need RD's, not LD's.

The lefty with the most RD experience is DeHaan but he's brutal on his off side.
Murphy played LD paired with Seabrook a period his first year as a Hawk, he also was finally getting Qs system down naturally around then and played well.

But a case, again, of how some coaches aren't so overtly married to it. You really need to get over your insistence it's a mandatory fit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad