*OFFICIAL* Moncton Wildcats 2013-2014 Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013
Nice game by Alex Dubeau in Shawi despite the loss. Without Dubeau it would look pretty empty in net.

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
In today's Times & Transcript, there is a chance that Danick Emond could require season ending knee surgery. The injury is much worse than they originally thought. It not only his ACL but also his MCL. He's going to try to play with a brace.

Melindy could be his replacement. He's only played two games and Portland have nine defensemen on their roster. 8 if you don't count the injured Randy Jones.

welcometothebigshow2

Mar 30, 2011
Couple thoughts regarding Moncton's season thusfar;
-Olivier needs to be playing more to develop.
-White doesn't belong in this league, he's too soft for his size and he doesn't play offensively either. He doesn't bring any intangibles to the table that stand out except for size, and he does not use it.
-Holwell is showing promise, but a year of midget or Jr A would've helped him a lot.
-Johnston has been impressive, Yarwood as well for coming in from Jr A and playing top four minutes. Both shouldn't be playing that much but Moncton's defence is horrible, and they've surprised me in a good way.
-Barbashev is off to a great start. Should be a high pick this year, I love the way this kid plays.
-How about Chris Caissy? Rookie 20 yo and is producing more than a lot of the 20s in the league. Kid has hands, great hands.
-Moncton's overall team is too soft. Haas is one of the toughest, if not the toughest in the league, and Halabi is a good complimentary agitator, but who else is willing to stick up for their teammates? With such a young team, I think they should bring in a guy who can play big minutes, but also protect his teammates. Ross Johnston would've made a big difference IMO, but at the end of the day this team was still going to struggle.

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013
It was good that Dubeau got a rest today. Watching on Telus it doesn't look like Hunt is Q ready at this level? That's a very large jump he made to get here.

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Great game for the Cats. 6-2 win over the Islanders.

Moncton's powerplay unit was 5/8 and really took it to an undiscipline Charlottetown squad.

Dubeau was solid and JC Campagna is turning out to be a solid pick up.

Could have been a costly win though. Caissy took a hit and didn't return and Sweeney got a second fight game misconduct which I believe results in a 1 game suspension.

That would leave only Johnston, Yarwood , Holwell and O'Brien on defence , plus Haas. Tanner McCabe will likely be the solution

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
It was good that Dubeau got a rest today. Watching on Telus it doesn't look like Hunt is Q ready at this level? That's a very large jump he made to get here.

Ya , he's looking worse and worse and you can imagine Dubeau must be getting worn down.

I'm sure they're keeping a close eye on FA goaltenders. Might even be scouting Quebecs for midseason trade period. I know Danny Flynn was in Quebec last week scouting Quebec teams. I still wish we would have picked up Graham , that only cost Chicoutimi a 5th rounder I do believe...

Alex Kelly could be another option. He was a 17 year old free agent that attended the Wildcats' camp. He was certainly the best goaltender there besides Dubeau. I hope we give him a start or two to see what exactly we have in him.

CrosKinnon

May 24, 2012
Cole Harbour
Caissy will be out the next 3-4 weeks. He had emergency surgery last night to relieve the pressure in his thigh. The swelling was causing so much pressure on the muscle that it could have caused permanent damage. I'm his cousin so I'm getting this info through him / family.

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Caissy will be out the next 3-4 weeks. He had emergency surgery last night to relieve the pressure in his thigh. The swelling was causing so much pressure on the muscle that it could have caused permanent damage. I'm his cousin so I'm getting this info through him / family.

Thanks for the info , hope all went well. He's been a great addition to the Wildcats!

ClemQ

Jun 14, 2012
Ya , he's looking worse and worse and you can imagine Dubeau must be getting worn down.

I'm sure they're keeping a close eye on FA goaltenders. Might even be scouting Quebecs for midseason trade period. I know Danny Flynn was in Quebec last week scouting Quebec teams. I still wish we would have picked up Graham , that only cost Chicoutimi a 5th rounder I do believe...

Alex Kelly could be another option. He was a 17 year old free agent that attended the Wildcats' camp. He was certainly the best goaltender there besides Dubeau. I hope we give him a start or two to see what exactly we have in him.

you can chalk that up to "guaranteed roster spots". that's what happened with Hunt. That's mostly the only way they get any americans over...

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
you can chalk that up to "guaranteed roster spots". that's what happened with Hunt. That's mostly the only way they get any americans over...

I agree , I'm sure there's some type of gentlemen's agreement in place.

If there wasn't ... I think Alex Kelly would have been the backup out of camp. He'd be the better fit if you ask me. Had a great camp , a year younger (96' born) and an overall great kid. That's not mentioning he's probably the more skilled goaltender.

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013

If there wasn't ... I think Alex Kelly would have been the backup out of camp. He'd be the better fit if you ask me. Had a great camp , a year younger (96' born) and an overall great kid. That's not mentioning he's probably the more skilled goaltender.

So did they sign Kelly? What happens to Hunt if they do?

ClemQ

Jun 14, 2012

There absolutely is....why would you keep a goalie for that long when he has been that brutal. Especially to be a back up!!

The rebuild in Moncton will be like Baie Comeau was 5 yrs ago. Long, slow and painful. Unless someone can shed light on something I don't know about, next season will be more difficult than this year. Other than Garland and Barbashev, there is hardly an offensive player ready for the Q. No picks to talk about this year, No prospects ready to step in and be impact players immediately.

Their 2013 draft doesn't have much to talk about, although I personally like Holwell and I think he will be a good player. I think Jacob was picked about 4 rounds too soon. They didn't need to pick him up in the 4th round. There were more "ready" players available.

I wonder if they would have taken picks/prospects instead of the vets from Shawinigan for Gormley, if it would have built a more stable team? Hindsight is always 20/20 I guess!

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
There absolutely is....why would you keep a goalie for that long when he has been that brutal. Especially to be a back up!!

The rebuild in Moncton will be like Baie Comeau was 5 yrs ago. Long, slow and painful. Unless someone can shed light on something I don't know about, next season will be more difficult than this year. Other than Garland and Barbashev, there is hardly an offensive player ready for the Q. No picks to talk about this year, No prospects ready to step in and be impact players immediately.

Their 2013 draft doesn't have much to talk about, although I personally like Holwell and I think he will be a good player. I think Jacob was picked about 4 rounds too soon. They didn't need to pick him up in the 4th round. There were more "ready" players available.

I wonder if they would have taken picks/prospects instead of the vets from Shawinigan for Gormley, if it would have built a more stable team? Hindsight is always 20/20 I guess!

They'll also have a 20 year old trio of Dubeau , Lalonde and Penny.
Lalonde is leading the team in goals , Penny plays a sound two-way game and can chip in offensively and Dubeau has found some consistency and has been playing great. Simpson is having a strong rookie season and Tkachev is still a possibility. Apprently Moncton has secured his rights from Omsk by way of a loan. I'm not saying it's going to be easy and I'd rather sell to rebuild properly but we won't be a dead last team by any means.

Victoriavile sent back our 1st round Euro selection and our 2nd 2015. The top 10 pick (maybe top5) is going to hurt but that's the cost of business.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad